Thread: White spots on my plant?

koreannuke is offline Registered+

White spots on my plant?

I checked up on my plant today, and it had white spots on a few leaves. I'm growing outdoors, and it's been about a month since it's sprouted from seed. I water it twice a day, Less than a cup if the soil is looking a bit unmoist.

I've read upon it, and some sites said it's mildue (or whatever it's called) if it wipes off, but it doesn't wipe off. What can be causing this problem? And is it fatal to the plant?

Weezard is online now Registered+

If the spots are tiny, round and the same size, in clusters.
    That sounds like the signs of spider mites.

If they are scooped from the surface and irregularly shaped, that would indicate thrips.

If there are white, loopy trails, Leaf-miners.

Either way, you are seeing the damage, not the pest.
    If it's just a few leaves, they may have already been eaten by predators or have moved on to a different plant, or a different leaf.
    And leaf-miner larvae may have already hatched.

It's a pretty normal thing to see on an outdoor plant.
    Unless you see an active colony, it's best to leave it be.

Aloha,
    Weezard
    Everyt'ing: http://cannabis.com/growing/index.html
    Plants do things for a reason..they don't just decide one day to get root rot or act funny. - Weedhound

"You have the ability to move 1000 times faster than your plant, but that doesn't mean that you should." - Emilya

Ahh I see. They are white round circles in clusters so i guess its spider mites then.... I constantly check my plant throughout the days, and this is the first time I've seen this. It is on a few leaves, but if it escalates, what should I do?

Weezard is online now Registered+
    Now you have asked a question that will get you many different replies.
    Many of those replies will be worthless.
    You need to know the difference between good advice and harmful crap.

I advise you to click on the first link in my signature, and read for a while.
    That will help you pick the pearls from the garbage, yah?

My advice, for outdoor plants?
    Wait.

Aloha,
    Weeze
    Everyt'ing: http://cannabis.com/growing/index.html
    Plants do things for a reason..they don't just decide one day to get root rot or act funny. - Weedhound

"You have the ability to move 1000 times faster than your plant, but that doesn't mean that you should." - Emilya

So I've been reading, and asking around local growers, and some say that spraying it with soap and water and just smushing them with your fingers will get the job done. I also saw the ingredient with tobacco juice in it, but I have no way of making that.

The light out here is at 14/10 and I REALLY don't want this problem to be back/continuing when it's at 12/12. Any suggestions?

So I've been reading, and asking around local growers, and some say that spraying it with soap and water and just smushing them with your fingers will get the job done. I also saw the ingredient with tobacco juice in it, but I have no way of making that.

The light out here is at 14/10 and I REALLY don't want this problem to be back/continuing when it's at 12/12. Any suggestions?

giggletwig is offline Registered+
    Add a little neem oil to that soap and water and you'll have a mixture that really works.