• 1 Post By sensiskunk
  • 1 Post By bonbon
  • 1 Post By david420
  • 2 Post By NorCalShooter
  • 1 Post By Rusty Trichome

Thread: HERMAPHRODITES AT END OF BUDDING

highallthetime is offline Registered+

Question HERMAPHRODITES AT END OF BUDDING

LET ME KNOW IF IT IS NORMAL FOR PLANTS TO TURN HERMIE AT END OF THE BUDDING (8-9 WEEKS ) , THE PLANTS ARE READY BUT ANOTHER WEEK MAKES WONDERS.

WILL THE DECISSION TO OBTAIN BETTER QUALITY BUDS AT THE END BE AFFECTED BY SOME SEEDS OR MAYBE LOTS OF SEEDS DEVELOPING ?

OR IS IT BETTER TO HARVEST WHEN IT'S TIME ?
    OR SHOULD I HARVEST NOW AFTER 3 DAYS OF NOTISING THE HERMIS ON MANY BUDS OF DIFFERENT PLANTS.

THE SEEDS WERE SKYWALKER FROM DUTCH PASSION SEEDS

sensiskunk is offline Registered+
    sometimes plants put out some seeds at the end of their cycle, i forgot why but it usually occurs at the last week of flowering, or it was stressed some how and it freaked the plant hermaphrodite. Id say take a look at the trichomes with a magnifying glaass, and if the crystals are amber, then ur plants r done!! it wont affect the quality of your buds, u just best watch out for those seeds!
    DONT be HASTY, Waiting MAKes It TASTY!

highallthetime is offline Registered+
    MY NEXT QUESTION IS IF I ONLY HAVE ONE MORE WEEK LEFT FOR BUDS TO BE OBTIMUM , IF I DECIDE TO HAVE SEEDS HOW LONG WILL IT TAKE TO DEVELOP GOOD SEEDS , MAYBE THE WEED WILL NOT BE AS GOOD AFTER ALL THAT EXTRA TIME ?

WILL ONE WEEK OF BEING POLINATED AT THE END OF THE BUDDING CYCLE BE SIGNIFICANT ENOUGH TO DAMAGE THE BUDS WITH LOTS OF UNDEVELOPED SEEDS OR IT NEEDS MORE THAN JUST ONE WEEK ?

THANKS

BUD PICS COMING SOON !

sensiskunk is offline Registered+
    sometimes the plants put out seeds naturally, just tryin to stay alive! If u had male flowers or pods then it would be because of pollenation, but it sounds like it came natural. Give the seeds an extra week to ensure that it will be optimal for growing, remember a good seed has tiger stripes! to get better crystal formalization put the plant in pitch black for a day and chop it the next mornin. and if there was a male flower in there that pollenized your female plants, the seeds should come out feminized, but may turn up hermaphrodite in the end.
    Scientist66 likes this.
    DONT be HASTY, Waiting MAKes It TASTY!

bonbon is offline Registered+
    sometime's that could happen when their flowering too long,but 8 or 9 WK's? it was probably light leak's during the dark period or infrequent light exposure's,dosen't take much,just a flash can upset them when the dark period is interrupted,anything but total darkness can cause it....Bonbon
    Scientist66 likes this.
    "Let's get lost"....Chet Baker

david420 is offline Registered
    dont smoke the seeds.. they explode.. eheh.. pop outa the bowl
    SpicySativa likes this.

NorCalShooter is offline Registered+
    Quote Originally Posted by sensiskunk View Post
    sometimes the plants put out seeds naturally, just tryin to stay alive! If u had male flowers or pods then it would be because of pollenation, but it sounds like it came natural. Give the seeds an extra week to ensure that it will be optimal for growing, remember a good seed has tiger stripes! to get better crystal formalization put the plant in pitch black for a day and chop it the next mornin. and if there was a male flower in there that pollenized your female plants, the seeds should come out feminized, but may turn up hermaphrodite in the end.

im sure by now youve been educated on the matter, but no, marijuana lants dont just "naturally" put out seeds without pollinization of of some sort, weather it be from a male plant in the area, or a hermed plant, either way, pollen has to be present before it will happen. if you have a plant that has come out seeded, especially an outdoor plant, and your certain its not hermed and you dnt have any males present, its probably from bee pollinization. everytime i put budding plants outdoor in the spring ( to save on the electric bill) almost right away i notice bees working the buds and have on occasion had whole bud tips pollinated im sure from someone elses male plants or from wild weed pollen on bees. cannabis plants dont just make seeds without the pollen man!
    Rusty Trichome and Buggy like this.

Scientist66 is offline Registered

Cool Females Self-generating Seeds WITHOUT Pollen

Sorry NorCal - Sensiskunk is right and I know it because I've seen it and experienced it myself, not just read about it. However, I've also done a lot of research and confirmed my empirical understanding despite this being the area of MOST confusion and misinformation on the Web concerning growing cannabis.

Stressed females indeed can and do sometimes produce a few seeds, without the benefit of any male or "hermaphrodite" plant being in the area. Particularly strains that are Sativa dominant. This is an emergency measure at procreation from strains that probably originated in areas where there was some environmental reason for such a survival measure to evolve. In an indoor situation, stress can arise if for example (as happened to me) a fuse blows and plunges mid-flowering plants into darkness for several days before being detected. This "self-seeding" was an internal process, the plants were not "pollinating" one another, nor were the plants true "hermaphrodites", they did not have pollen sacs. They did not produce mad amounts of seed and the crop was not ruined.

I later grew a crop from those seeds and found that they produced 99% females and 1% Hermaphrodite - or a male, with female flower characteristics.

This is another common misnomer: a true Hermaphrodite in flower would show white hairs and bud type formations, like a female, but with sacs developing like a male and that COULD pollinate other nearby females therefore. But a lot of what people on these forums call Hermaphrodites, are NOT - they are just stressed females that self-produced a few seeds.

Douglas1 is offline Registered+
    don't forget about the nanners.. if you flower long enough, your girls will put out little female pollen sacs shaped like bannana's in the bud.. if you collect that pollen and hit your plants that are 2.5weeks into flower with it, you'll get a bunch of feminized seeds

If there is no pollen, there will be no seed. End of story. Some pollen sacks grow mid-bud, not just at the nodes. If no males in the room lately, or you haven't transported male pollen into your flower room, (on your clothes, on other plants...) then someone in your room threw-out a nanner.

With most strains, seeds need 4 weeks from pollination MINIMUM for viability. Less time than that and you'll get runts, mutants, no-show's and pipe blasters. More than that...you get a better percentage of healthy plants.
    washmedical likes this.

washmedical is offline Registered+
    I've got a plant, that was grown indoors, probably 4 weeks to 6 weeks into bud stage. I put it outside, and harvested the top cola. Being that it is summer, its started to reveggetate.

When it decides to start budding again, is the lower half more than likely going to be well matured, and possibly produce male pollen?

and from what i've heard a plant that polinates itself wont produce viable seeds??

and if this female with male flowers pollinates another female, the seeds will be feminized?

Douglas1 is offline Registered+
    if the female has female polen sacs (nanners) and it polinates a female, the seeds will be feminized.

from what I understand a plant can pollinate itself.

Quote Originally Posted by washmedical View Post
    When it decides to start budding again, is the lower half more than likely going to be well matured, and possibly produce male pollen?
    Doubtful, but I doubt she appreciates you cutting of her cola. But since you're re-vegging her anyway, it shouldn't be an issue. I wouldn't do that half way through flowering if you were going to continue flowering her though. That kind of stress can produce nanners.

and from what i've heard a plant that polinates itself wont produce viable seeds??
    A plant CAN pollinate itself with it's own pollen. If allowed to mature, the seeds will be viable and 100% female. (unless a true male is around to screw things up)

and if this female with male flowers pollinates another female, the seeds will be feminized?
    Yup. But you should start with stable genetics to avoid hermaphrodite issues further down the line. (successive generations)

the "re-veg" that im doing [above] has ripe nugs with new vegetation growing through them. You dont think they nugs that are ripe right now will produce male pollen before they other nugs are ready?

Would be interesting to have the lower nugs pollinate the upper nugs and produce feminized seeds

I've heard it's best to pollinate another female for "better" and "more stable" genetics, but I've also heard of folks growing-out single-plant seeds without incident, too. I prefer to collect the female pollen asap, and kill the donor. This way I can pollinate the lower buds (with a tiny paintbrush) while keeping the cola's integrity intact. (no seeds in the cola)

If age doesn't make the lower branches eventually throw-out nanners, perhaps the stress of chopping the cola will...
    But when re-vegging, the lower buds will throw-out branches, and not stay tight and bud-like. Either that, or be light-starved and wither-away into a gooey yellowishness.

medicatedman is offline Registered+
    I been told that a female plant, once it reaches full budding potenial and the plant nows its going to die it will produces various seeds to drop and continue its life this is how it happens nature. I only now this because I sent my friend a picture of grow in what I thougt was the end he said let it go a good week longer. What a differnce a week make, by the way my friend is a horticulterist for a company up north. After that week and drying I donated some to my cancer friend he found a seed but lost it, my friend said its garunteed female seed the plant was trying to reproduce.

i went and checked her out today and it looks like its finally putting out regular leaves instead of the single bladed nonsense. Got about another month worth of vegetation.. I think?? Hoping for some feminized blueberry seeds

the outdoor seems to be loving the 90degree + weather and sun sun sun. reveg is going swimmingly

gmoney420420 is offline Registered
    Have 3 strains been 12 on 12 off for 9 weeks. Found about 20 seeds in a plant today. Was sure I identified all of these as females and removed all males at 3 weeks in. Now three of the plants look like just a bunch of bracts with pistils coming out. Could these be male flowers or herms living with my girls all this time. Will all my crop ne seeded now. I am freaked. I check this garden daily. Indoors

Mr bbbbud is offline Registered
    alright m8 just been readin your threads and i'm wondering what the score is with my situation. I got a few haze plants and shark,noticed a few days ago that i had what looked like seeds growing,but noin that you can get a few seeds sometimes how ever it happens i just monitord them, but last night i checked a the one was full of seeds so i'v taken it out for safe measures.i think i no whats caused it and that was a little bit of light getting in to the room.(which i'v taken care of)and it has mainly affected the hazes cant realy tell with the others yet.they are only 4-5 weeks in to flower so the shark has 2-3 weeks left and the haze about well probibly 5.I cant actuly see any pollen sacks but there are some suspciuose lookin pods on some of the nodes,and what look like possible pollen sacks in the bud.Basicly man do you think i'v fe**ed the crop???????????

Rumpl4skn is offline Registered+
    Last edited by Rumpl4skn; Mar-13-2013 at 21:29.