Thread: How-to: Paleo's Potent Decarboxylated Cannabis Oil (Edibles Technique)

PaleoEdibles is offline Registered

How-to: Paleo's Potent Decarboxylated Cannabis Oil (Edibles Technique)

How to Decarboxylate and fry cannabis oil quickly and completely

Important points:
    Decarboxylate in microwave or oven (oven takes more time)
    Fry the cannabis until dark brown
    Eat with a meal

Tools:
    Butter or oil
    Scissors
    Microwave
    Glass plate for microwave/oven dish for oven
    Stainless Steel container or pot
    Spoon
    Stove

Total 6 grams in my photos, which will give you anywhere from 1 to 6 doses. This is just schwag. You can use any amount, just adjust the amount of oil (to submerge cannabis) accordingly.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...2/DSCN0549.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...2/DSCN0556.jpg

Decarboxylation Details:

There are carboxyl-group containing cannabinoids like cannabigerolic acid, cannabidiolic acid, which is an oxidocyclized version of cannabigerolic acid, and tetrahydrocannabinolic acid, that when they lose thier respective carboxyl group, become psychoactive.

Although all the pharmacologic literature I've read has focused on THCa, CBDa and CBGa, there are more phytocannabinoids that have a carboxyl group in them - who, after being decarboxylated - become psychoactive compounds. Nothing has shown CC's (carboxyl cannabinoids) to potentiate recreational use more then the same phytocannabinoids would as decarboxylated compounds. THIS is why you decarboxylate, to convert your THCa, CBDa, and CBGa all into non-acid forms, our beloved psychoactive compounds. So now that you know why to decarboxylate, here's how:

MICROWAVING

Microwave each set of 3 grams, for about 1 minute, 30 seconds to 2 minutes each. This is decarboxylation.

On the second batch, I re-microwaved for 1 minute to finish off.

Microwaving cannabis is safer then touching your cannabis with your hand.

If you’re decarboxylating small batches at a time you should learn how to do it in your microwave. And if it works one day, go extra time the next time. You’ll see its harder then you think to ‘burn up’ or ‘destroy’ any active cannabinoids in the microwave. Your herb will smell stronger, more pungent and crumble with ease when it’s decarboxylated - oven OR microwave method.

In the oven, you are going to want to do it for longer then 20 minutes, depending on how much bud you have, it’s degree of dryness, and your chosen temp. 325 to 350 is well known to be safe. At these temps, 25 minutes or more is more than likely necessary. If it smells more dank after the oven decarboxylation than before, and crumbles very easily, its decarboxylated.

Alternatively, you can get a food dehydrator.

You can tell when it's ready, by the strong smell (not THC escaping, but terpenes escaping) and by pinching the bud in your index and thumb finger, and trying to crush it. If the small nugs crumble, it's decarboxylated. Decarboxylation is when the THC-acid molecule looses it's COOH group, converting it from an inactive kidney cleaner, into the psychedelic THC.

How well you decarboxylate, affected by how well you can discern when the cannabis has been decarboxylated, is 50% of making this oil as potent as possible. The other 50%, is frying it until it's dark brown.

If you skip this step, or use your cannabis without it crumbling and dry, it won't be the potent oil it can be.

NOTE: Re-microwaving is safe, if you microwaved for a minute and 30 seconds and it didnt fully decarboxylate, when re-microwaving the microwave has to re-heat the glass plate youre using to hold the plant.

NOTE 2: Always decarboxylate for at least one minute! Even if it's half a gram you're doing. 2 minutes in the microwave at once, does not equal two separate one minute microwaves. The key is to heat, in the microwave, the cannabis until it smells and crumbles like it's decarboxylated.

Does Microwaving Destroy THC?

Yesterday I used the microwave to decarboxylate another batch, but this time I microwaved for 2 minutes, three separate times. This decarboxylated the bud even more! 1 minute 30 seconds to 2 minutes is safe because the glass plate doesnt get hot enough to vaporize the cannabinoids.

Even if you stop it at 2 minutes, mix up the bud on the plate, and microwave for another 2 minutes, it's safe. 2 minute microwaves in two sets does NOT equal 4 minutes in the microwave. 4 minutes will burn your cannabis and cannabinoids, but two separate 2 minute sets works to decarboxylate better than once. Yesterdays batch was stronger and I used less bud, so I know that microwaving the same cannabis twice for 2 minutes each time is safe, and reccomended.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...2/DSCN0553.jpg

I left the bud with small nugs as you can see on the plate below, because when I try to crush these little nugs I can get a feel for wether the bud has decarboxylated. If they crumble, they are done.

Now you have your 6 (2 sets of 3) grams of decarboxylated cannabis, it should smell stronger then before, be extra dry and crumble when you try to crumble it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...2/DSCN0555.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...2/DSCN0552.jpg

This is my stainless steel container, oil inside, but lard is clear, so you can't see it. This is where you add your oil/butter of choice to the container.

LARD

Lard is not the only fat you can cook with, any fat will do, but here's why I use it (among other fats for different occasions):

Lard can be cooked with any meat, and its good to fry in. Potatoes fried in lard, thats what they call chips in the UK. If youre going to use lard for your cannabis edibles I only recommend it if you like how it tastes by itself, and you eat it the way I do in the thread. Reason being, it would taste weird in brownies, and would probably not go well on any sweets in general. Lard works for meats and broths, soups and stocks.

I eat tablespoons of cannabis infused lard with my steak meals, but thats because I've learned that saturated fat is the healthiest fat, because we've been eating it for millenia. It has large amount of saturated and monounsaturated fat. I try to keep my diet at around 65-70% fat, 25% protien and 5-10% carbs. Now that I think about it, I wouldnt eat my infused lard any other way then straight with meat, or possibly soup.

Lard is such a cheap fat, like a dollar a pound, compared to olive oil or coconut oil. Not to mention it's perfect for for frying or cooking, since it has no particles like unrefined coco/olive oil, and tastes great on potatoes and plant foods. If I want to fry some potatoes, cook some meat with bell peppers, onion, or any other vegetables, I always use lard.

If your fat is solid at room temp, like butter or lard or any other saturated fat, melt the lard or butter in the container by itself until the fat becomes a liquid. You obviously melt the butter in the container or pot over the stovetop.

Only add enough to cover the cannabis in the same container!

You can always add extra fat later, remember, but you CANT TAKE ANY OIL OUT after the cannabis is added if you put too much.

Butter bubbles when fried, so butter can help reach any bud that gets stuck on the side of the container.

Combinations of butter and other fats work too.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...2/DSCN0550.jpg

This is the same container, with melted lard, cannabis, and see the white thing? Thats a little bit extra (solidified at room tempurature) lard for good measure.

Sometimes you need to add a little extra oil to make sure all the cannabis is submerged.

More oil to cannabis will spread out the amount of time it takes for your body to digest the oil and recieve the cannabinoids.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...2/DSCN0560.jpg

FRYING THE CANNABIS

That extra lard will quickly melt down into the rest of the oil.

By this time you have all of your decarboxylated cannabis inside the container, with sufficient fat to cover and submerge the cannabis.

For the frying, you only want to fry for under 5 minutes. The direct flame as you can see, heats the oil and cannabis in the container.

If you have an electric stove, use that, if you have an outdoor stove - thats even better - because there is a little bit of smoke and lots and lots of smell! This is okay and safe and you're doing it right, the smell is terpenes, not active cannabinoids.

Turn on the fans, open the windows, or if you can, do the entire frying process outside. Within about 20 minutes, the smell should dissipate anyway. But for extra safety, be ready to air out location.

Stir consistantly as it fries. It should be smelling and bubbling now. Fry like this, on a medium-high heat until dark brown. This is a fast process, about 5 minutes.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...2/DSCN0566.jpg

Once you think it's been fried DARK BROWN, wait an extra 30 seconds for good frying measure.

Then - careful not to burn yourself - take the container to cool outside.

When I took a look at the cannabis after being fried, I went back inside, turned the stove top on again, and fried it for an additional 2 minutes. This is because as you can see in the photographs, the cannabis was not COMPLETELY browned...

... This is of course optional, but the more you fry, the more potent the cannabis oil becomes (until you've fried it all out).

Leave it outside to cool and so the smell wont stink up your house, for about 10 minutes or so.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...2/DSCN0568.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...2/DSCN0567.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...2/DSCN0569.jpg

And there you have it! Potent, decarboxylated, properly fried cannabis oil that will knock you on your fucking ass, and then some.

You can have anything from mellow mood change(1/2 gram), regular fun trips(1-2.5 grams) or heroic doses(4 or more grams) with heroic highs using this method.

Anyone who told you that you couldn't actually have a psychedelic trip using cannabis, hasn't done this.

No matter what amount you eat, the effects last the entire day. With this method I only dose once a day, and some days I skip because the stone lingers from the day before.

Eat it with a good sized meal, preferably with protien, some fat and a small amount of carbs. It's safe to eat this infused oil with any meal including a high fat meal.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...2/DSCN0570.jpg

As you can see, I don't separate the plant material because I eat the oil together with a meal. The plant material contains cannabinoids, you can separate it to use the oil in a recipe, and just eat the plant material separately. This does work for brownies or anything else.

Eat roughly a third to half of your meal, then take tablespoons of edibles as you desire, chase them down with water or a drink, and then finish eating.

Try to make this your 2nd meal of the day, first will work but you don't want first pass metabolism to get any cannabinoids in the oil. If you eat it as your first meal of the day, eat some food 20 minutes before you start taking the oil.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...2/DSCN0571.jpg

I dosed on this last night 3 grams, and saved the other 3 grams for tonight. I was so gone, 3 grams is actually a bit too much for me. I still feel the cannabinoids in my system more then 24 hours since dose time.

And this is schwag bud and prices. 3 grams comes out to about 3.50 to 4 dollars. The most prominent period of the high lasts for about 6 - 9 hours or more, depending.

I have done as low as 1/2 or a gram, and they still produce long term (6hr+) relief/benefit.

--

Originally posted at Grasscity, then I got banned for linking a decarboxylation technique in a peanut butter cooking thread...The mod apparently doesn't get what decarboxylation is.

How-to: Paleo's Potent Decarboxylated Cannabis Oil - Grasscity.com Forums
    Last edited by PaleoEdibles; Jan-04-2011 at 15:21.

First Pass Metabolism wiki

First pass metabolism, or the first pass effect, is when your liver basically intercepts the majority of the edible you've consumed, and breaks enough down to where the effect is diminished.

To avoid this, make sure your canna edible meal is not your first meal of the day. Make sure it's somewhere in the middle of your meal, and spread out as much as possible. For eample, I take a tablespoon and take half-tablespoons of butter and add it to my meal whilst I eat - it doesn't taste good(so?) but I can swish it down with water.

Orally consumed cannabis taken with other food and on a non-fast will greatly improve bioavailability of your cannabis, and substantially less will be broken down prematurely by the liver.

So, next time, eat it 45 minutes to 1 hour after a meal!

Lupzzz is offline Registered
    Hey man, glad I found you!

To everyone reading this thread, this guy knows his shit extremely well, don't try to argue with him.

But I tried to find you to ask a question.

I've got some decarbed canna oil that is somewhat potent, and I have 2g's of some bud left. I want to make my oil more potent, and I'm wondering if I can add more bud into the already-made oil and re-fry the oil? Will reheating burn any of the infused cannabinoids/thc already in the oil?

melodious fellow is offline Registered+
    Welcome to the forum!

This is a pretty good thread. But I think your temperatures might be a bit high. I'll explain why and show you a cool graph.

Decarboxylating above 300F is going to rob you of lots of tasty terpenes as well as reduce the potency of your edible. Check this out: Cannabis Forums Message Boards - Medical Marijuana, Cannabis Club, Dispensary, News

While using 293F for 7 minutes is quick and efficient, I prefer 255F for a half hour because at 255F, the erb doesn't become brown or crumbly. This makes for much tastier edibles, especially when making green dragon.

Also, contrary to popular belief, cannabis compounds are soluble in lipids and alcohols at room temperature. Heating merely speeds up the process. But you certainly don't want to be "frying" your cannabis in oil, especially not if your erb starts to brown. That is way too hot and will only reduce your potency.

The best method is to decraboxylate in the oven at 255F for a half hour, then grind your nugs, and then slow-cook in coconut oil (or butter or lard or alcohol) using a double boiler or water bath. Basically, you want to place the ground erb and the oil (or alcohol) in a glass bowl or mason jar, and then place the bowl or mason jar in a pan of water. Then heat the pan of water on medium until it starts boiling. This water bath ensures that the oil or alcohol never exceeds 212F. 212F is plenty enough heat to speed up the extraction, but it isn't enough heat to boil off any cannabinoids. The longer you slow-cook it like this, the better, but I usually only have the patience to do it for a few hours at most.

Anyway, lower your temps for both decarboxylation and extraction, use a water bath or double-boiler, and enjoy a tastier, more potent product!

PEACE!
    VOTE DR. RON PAUL

Disclaimer: None of the information posted under this screen name or this IP address is to be taken seriously, nor do the authors advocate any illegal activities, as posts in these forums are for entertainment purposes only.

Hey everyone! I took a hiatus after I got sort of burned at another forum. I think it's probably because I stepped on some regular users toes, but I'm really glad to be here and on a few other forums at the same time, I plan on learning along with everyone and sharing what I find interesting.

Luppz, no your reheating won't burn any of the existing cannabinoids. Don't pass the flash point of the oil you're using. Good luck!

Fellow, where did you think I said to decarb at 300F? My decarb method here is microwaving, but I think that anywhere from 250 to 275 is a safe temperature to decarboxylate with an oven bag or a lid in the oven.

Extraction of pharmaceutically active components from plant materials

Decarbing is best at 105c-145c depending on the size of the batch, and the ratio of carboxyl cannabinoids (THCa:CBDa). CBD is more resistant to decarboxylation, and with high THC containing cannabis there is a third criterion, which is THC's degradation into CBN.

There is a nice graph of times and temperatures and the change in carboxyl vs. free cannabinoid contenton my harddrive, I'll upload it tomorrow.

Laboratory Studies-decarboxylation

Portions of milled dried plant material were subjected to heat (approximately 0.25 g with particle size 1–2 mm). A pilot scale experimental system was set up, with the objective of determining parameters for the optimal conversion of THCA or CBDA into THC and CBD respectively, with concomitant minimal loss of these ensuing compounds into their thermal degradation products, in the case of THC the formation of CBN.

Brief Description of Materials and Methods:

Portions (0.25 g) of milled (approximately 1–2 mm particle size) of both THCA and CBDA herbal materials were placed in 20-ml glass headspace vials and the vials sealed tightly with crimp capped Teflon-faced butyl rubber seals. Sealed vials were heated at one of three temperatures, for periods of up to 4 hrs as follows:

105° C., 120° C., 140° C. for 0.5, 1.0, 2.0 and 4.0 hours.

The heating was performed in an oven with forced air circulation. Oven conditions were shown to be accurate to within 0.5–1.0 degree at the three temperatures used.

After the heating process was complete representative samples of the decarboxylated herb were assayed using HPLC, GC and TLC techniques. Standards of THC, CBD and CBN were include in the HPLC and GC sequences.

Results and Discussions:

HPLC analysis of the solvent extracts was able to demonstrate the disappearance of either CBDA or THCA as a function of time at the two lower temperatures. At 140° C., the earliest time point samples at 0.5 hour contained only very modest levels of a peak eluting at the retention times of CBDA or THCA.

Tables 3 and 4 present HPLC data quantifying the conversion of CBDA or THCA into the free compounds; also presented is data showing the content of CBD or THC and the ratio of CBD/CBDA+CBD or THC/THCA+THC. The conversion of the carboxylic acid forms to the corresponding decarboxylated form can be monitored by comparing the decarboxylated/decarboxylated plus un-decarboxylated ratio with the absolute content of the decarboxylated compounds. Thus, when the ratio reaches a maximum value (>0.95), the earliest time/temperature point at which the content of THC or CBD is also maximal, should be optimal for the conversion process.

Thus, for CBD containing herb, 1 hour at 120° C. or 0.5 hour at 140° C., was appropriate.

This is confirmed by examination of the TLC chromatogram for the solvent extracts, CBDA is absent after 1 hour at 120° C. or at any time point at 140° C.

For THC there is a third criterion, formation of CBN, where it is desirable to minimise the formation of this compound during the thermal decarboxylation process. Table 5 provides Gas Chromatography (GC) data where a CBN/THC ratio can be derived. Taken into consideration, alongside the THC/THCA+THC ratio and the maximum THC content, minimal CBN formation occurs after 0.5 or 1.0 hour at 120° C. At 140° C., even 0.5 hour gives a higher content of CBN than either of the two lower time/temperature points.

Therefore laboratory studies demonstrate the optimum conditions for the decarboxylation of:

Chemovar producing primarily CBD is 1 hour at 120° C. or 0.5 hour at 140° C.
    Chemovar producing primarily THC to minimise CBN formation, is 1 to 2 hours at 105° C. or 1 hour at 120° C.
    Thin layer chromatography reveals that virtually all of the THCA has disappeared after 4 hours at 105° C. and after 1 hour at 120° C. No THCA is visible at any time point when the herb is heated at 140° C. A small amount of residual staining at this retention value on TLC and the presence at low levels of a peak coincident with THCA on HPLC analysis may indicate the presence of a minor cannabinoid rather than residual THCA.
    Unfortunately the tables come out scrambled here, but there is absolutely no single best temperature for decarboxylation. Take a look at the tables for decarboxylation degree of THCa containing vs. CBDa containing cannabis. You can however estimate, and use oven bags or boiling bags (boiling in a sealed bag at 105c is a safe decarboxylation method) or even just vaporizing are efficient ways of decarboxylating. Only trace amounts vaporize at around 285F, and this is with airflow, which isnt the same as without. Anyway, I'll post up the graphs tomorrow, the wife is calling.

Paleo
    Last edited by PaleoEdibles; Jan-05-2011 at 01:36.

Quote Originally Posted by PaleoEdibles View Post
    In the oven, you are going to want to do it for longer then 20 minutes, depending on how much bud you have, it’s degree of dryness, and your chosen temp. 325 to 350 is well known to be safe. At these temps, 25 minutes or more is more than likely necessary.
    If the graph from the journal of chromatography that I posted a link to is correct, 325 for 25 minutes is too much and will reduce potency.

Thanks for posting this great article on decarboxylation.

The graph I posted implies that the best method is 252F for 30 minutes, with potency reductions after 30 minutes, but this article here says 248F for 60 minutes. So I think I will try 250F for 40-45 minutes next time.

Regarding the coconut-oil extraction, I still think if you are "frying" the herb and it is turning brown, that is gross and means the oil is too hot and is reducing potency. I fucked up coconut oil like that the first time I tried it. Now when I make canna-coconut oil, after 2 or 3 washes with water, it is a beautiful light sea green color. Since all of the cannabinoids we want to extract are soluble in coconut oil at room temperature anyway, why not just cook it longer at a lower temperature (like 100C) and end up with a much cleaner, prettier, tastier product with no chance of reduced potency
    VOTE DR. RON PAUL

Disclaimer: None of the information posted under this screen name or this IP address is to be taken seriously, nor do the authors advocate any illegal activities, as posts in these forums are for entertainment purposes only.

Quote Originally Posted by melodious fellow View Post
    If the graph from the journal of chromatography that I posted a link to is correct, 325 for 25 minutes is too much and will reduce potency.

Thanks for posting this great article on decarboxylation.

The graph I posted implies that the best method is 252F for 30 minutes, with potency reductions after 30 minutes, but this article here says 248F for 60 minutes. So I think I will try 250F for 40-45 minutes next time.

Regarding the coconut-oil extraction, I still think if you are "frying" the herb and it is turning brown, that is gross and means the oil is too hot and is reducing potency. I fucked up coconut oil like that the first time I tried it. Now when I make canna-coconut oil, after 2 or 3 washes with water, it is a beautiful light sea green color. Since all of the cannabinoids we want to extract are soluble in coconut oil at room temperature anyway, why not just cook it longer at a lower temperature (like 100C) and end up with a much cleaner, prettier, tastier product with no chance of reduced potency
    Oh yes! That part of the tutorial, when I wrote 325 was safe for 30 minutes, was before I saw those graphs. I wrote all that up a few months ago, it could use some updating. I never did get around to posting a technique on how to decarboxylate in the oven. However, I've completely changed my own personal oven decarb method, while my microwave method still stands.

Decarboxylating in the oven:

Decarb at about 250F for about an hour, or 220F for about 2 hours, until the bud actually changes color (kief will change color faster) and I found a dramatic increase in potency. I tested it at 250, 220, 200, and 170F for .5, 1, and 2 hours and 250F for 1 hour produced the best smoking high and edible high. I use a cover to completely cover the cannabis, and I inhale the evaporated terpenes half way through the decarboxylation process (30 min) by just inhaling the aroma after I open the plate. (don't burn yourself, don't inhale your herb) There is no significant loss in cannabinoids and the terpenes are arguably not apart of the high, you can extract and use them with a distiller and then do a higher temperature extraction to get mainly cannabinoids. This is a method I read in a patent and this is why I believe 250f is a safe temperature to decarboxylate when your bud is finely ground and in a enclosed environment. There must be a small color change (not a significant browning, but a darkening) in order for the decarboxylation to have occured completely. Lower temperatures leave lots of CBDa undecarboxylated, and require longer incubation times. Higher temperatures decarboxylate more CBD but degrate more THC into CBN. 250F for 1 hour is a safe temperature to decarboxylate, while 221F for 2 hours is also a safe and reccomended temperature for maximizing THC, but not CBD.

No man, frying the herb and it turning brown does not mean you're reducing potency. Enough heat and fry time is neccessary to infuse the cannabinoids into the fat. There is no loss in potency, because fat lubricates the cannabinoids very well. It's the same reason why decarboxylation doesn't happen to a significant degree once the cannabinoids are infused into a lipid. 100c is not hot enough to extract, and you'll get a less potent product. If you are not frying it until brown, you're not making the oil as potent as you can and you're essentially tossing cannabinoids. Next time you do a low simmer, try to refry the "spent" green material. When you get high off it, you'll see why you have to fry until dark brown, anywhere under the smoking point of the fat, and preferably under 350.

I know everyone likes to have a certain way of infusion, and everyone thinks heat is a big no no. Most people think heat is bad, and decarboxylation is iffy, yet most people fail at edibles and feel it's a waste of cannabis. When in fact properly decarbed and cooked cannabis is the most efficient consumption method. But this is a paranoid delusion that's been passed along online, it doesn't actually happen in practice. My described method makes the most sense and has produced results.

Paleo

You can't post images on this site I guess.

http://greenirie.com/pics/decarboxylation2.gif

This graph shows the conversion rate and subsequent degradation rate of THCA -> THC from temperatures 100C to 200C. The best temperature for most conversion and least degradation was 150C. 150c is 302F, so it's safe to say that this temperature in an enclosed environment is safe.

Another equally interesting graph:

http://greenirie.com/pics/decarboxylation.gif

This graph is a game changer. It shows the conversion rate of THCa into THC and into CBN and dihydrocannabinol, another breakdown product of THC, at various temperatures. This graph shows that the best temperature is about 150C again, which is 302F and most people would think this is too high. But it's not! And I'm going to be testing it out today and tomorrow.

No wonder I have always insisted that ABV was equally potent as fresh bud - It's more potent than fresh bud. Hell, even vaped bud vaped at 180C or 356F would be more potent than fresh herb. Time to have everyone rethink what they think they know about how to extract cannabinoids. Also time to fix up all these mistaken fresh to ABV ratios that are like 1:3. Haha.

Paleo

100c is not hot enough to extract, and you'll get a less potent product. If you are not frying it until brown, you're not making the oil as potent as you can and you're essentially tossing cannabinoids.
    Cannabis resins are soluble in alcohol or fat at room temperature. Heat just reduces the extraction time. 100C is plenty enough heat for full potency, it just takes longer to extract. But I think the longer cooking time is worth it. Excessive heat to the point that the herb is brown usually results in a gross, poor-tasting brown-colored alcohol or coconut oil. We want green dragon and green coconut oil! But as long as you keep the oil under 350F, you shouldn't lose any potency, just taste and appearance I suppose.
    VOTE DR. RON PAUL

100C is the minimum decarboxylation temperature. 100c is not enough to fully infuse botanical raw material into lipids efficiently. Of course no heat will infuse some, just as low (100c) heat will extract a little more, but high heat is necessary to make complete oil infusions using this practical method. Next time you make a "green" oil, refry the spent bud on a new batch of oil, and notice how you missed close to half the cannabinoids...I did this, then I finally switched over to frying until brown. Potency >>>>> Taste and Color

Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords just got shot at my local Safeway...In the head...

Paleo
    Last edited by PaleoEdibles; Jan-08-2011 at 13:54.

thehighman is offline Registered
    Alright I have a quick question about making the oil, you said "For the frying, you only want to fry for under 5 minutes. The direct flame as you can see, heats the oil and cannabis in the container."

You said to only leave it on the stove for 5 minutes, when every other canna-oil recipe I see says to heat on medium-low for 45 minutes, but the other guides dont mention decarboxylation, is the reason for the decreases cooking time because you decarboxylate the bud? Also would this method work for a half of bud? just making sure =) dont really want to waste this much bud.

This method works for any amount of bud, just enough fat to submerge the cannabis is sufficient.

Fry on medium high, removing the flame after you reach the temp you want, then let it cool back down and repeat until the bud turns completely brown.

thehighman is offline Registered
    This method works for any amount of bud, just enough fat to submerge the cannabis is sufficient.

Fry on medium high, removing the flame after you reach the temp you want, then let it cool back down and repeat until the bud turns completely brown.
    about how long should it take?

Anywhere from 5 to 15 minutes, depending on the amount of bud. All the bud should turn brown to dark brown, like in the pics above.