Cannabis.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: buddhism and weed

andymac is offline Registered

buddhism and weed

hi there

im just starting to 'dabble' in weed and stuff, and was wondering,
    is it wrong to smoke weed if you are a buddhist?
    i'm the son of 2 catholic parents, but im a buddhist (dont ask long story lol)

so if there any buddhist stoners here, :P

and if ive caused offense to anyone atall by linking buddhism with weed im sorry, just wondering if i should continue

andy

2. Cannabis Seeds | Cannabis Seeds

Buy Feminised Cannabis Seeds

Cannabis Seeds Delivered World Wide, Top Free Seeds with ALL orders. 

Medical Marijuana Dispensary Finder

Medical Marijuana Directory

HvyFuel is offline Registered+
    Buddhists have been using cannabis during meditation for thousands of years.
    This should help...
    http://humate.net/Scythchurch.html

peace

andymac is offline Registered
    thanks man, that helps alot

so, looks like all go . good news for me

thanks again

andy

KillaBuzz is offline Registered+
    yeah yer good 2 go

Potent Herbs And Leaves Could Ease The World
    Krayzie Bone-Smokin Buddah...Awsum Song To Toke To

joker121 is offline Registered+
    I used to be Buddhist, and still subscribe to many of its principles, much to the dismay of my Catholic parents.
    As I remeber in the eightfold path, their is something about not smoking, that's part of the reason I kicked Buddhism.

DXeM is offline Registered
    Quote Originally Posted by joker121
    As I remeber in the eightfold path, their is something about not smoking, that's part of the reason I kicked Buddhism.
    Correct... I thought about Buddhism as a place to rest my faith, but in Buddhism your body is regarded as a temple. Drugs are against the religion.

Wheemer is offline Registered+
    It was my understanding that aslong as the substance doesn't distort your connection with peace, it was ok in budhism. I could be way off base. I think if you are using marijuana as a sacriment, or a tool in your ultimate pursuit of being one with budha, it should be ok.

I use it quite often while meditating. It is a great help to relax the mind.

And as for catholic religion, or any religion based on Jesus' teachings; It is said that jesus breathed in smoke from burning holy oil. It is said that cannabis was one of the main ingredients of that oil. It is said that jesus would gain great wisdom and sometime see god while under the influence of it.

HvyFuel is offline Registered+
    He mainly used a very potent annointing oil although the practice of laying cannabis buds on hot coals predates Jesus' times so it is quite possibly even He inhaled.

peace

buddha is offline Registered+
    Buddhism is all about your body they may have used to smoke or used marijuana for rituals way back but now that they know it harms your body it would deffinetly have changed to somthing they do not accept. All religons have their extremes though and the more laid back sides. i suggest dont spend time trying to do what other people did or what they want you to do just do what makes you happy.

You aren't required to live by the standards someone else gives you. ((That is unless you require yourself to)) Take the principles, ideas, etc., that you like from buddhism and just practice those.

InhaleItALL is offline Registered+
    Quote Originally Posted by andymac
    hi there

so if there any buddhist stoners here, :P

and if ive caused offense to anyone atall by linking buddhism with weed im sorry, just wondering if i should continue

andy
    I am a Buddhist as well... weed has given me some pretty powerful visions in my meditation. I think technically according to strict buddhist doctrines it should not be used, but my belief is that just like everything else.. in moderation it is ok. As long as you are not using weed to hide the truth, but using it to explore the truth you will be fine. There is no wrong path.

econoshamanic is offline Registered

Thumbs up Buddhism and weed

I think in the final analysis, the question of the compatibility of grass with Buddhism is a personal one. We each know, in our heart of hearts, whether what we are doing is true to our path or not. The answer differs from person to person.

That said, my (limited) understanding of the eightfold path, is that it prohibits intoxication. Buddhist scholars have disagreed as to the meaning of this word and whether it applies to all uses of cannabis (or other entheogens).

I refer those interested in this issue to the book Zig Zag Zen, an excellent collection about Buddhism and entheogens.

BradPitt is offline Registered+

socks is offline Registered+
    The guidlines Buddhism presents you with are exactly that, "guidelines". They are there to give u a basis for the most fulfilling, happy and healthy life you can lead and not too diminish ones freedom or choices in life. Buddhism is essentially a philosophy not a religion, there are no rules. Therefore you can make ur own decision about smoking mj based upon Buddhisms guidelines and ur own well being.
    "There is no greater tyranny, than that which is perpetrated under the shield of law and in the name of justice"

sugarmagnolia is offline Registered+
    from an outsiders point of view (which I am since I do not interest myself in Buddhism) u all seem like u are trying to convince urself that Cannabis is accepted in Buddhism. I will not judge whether it is or not, but if u say what is really said in ur posts it is "well I like marijuana so I'm gonna only look at the evidence that might lead to buddhism accepting cannabis." Now don't quote me on that please because I know htat some people did note the eightfold path.

I know a pretty devout buddhist who wakes up every morning at 6 to meditate for an hour, and he smokes weed and grew it so I know there are definitely devout buddhists who do so. But u guys shouldn't care whether a religion accepts what u do, because if u do only but what a religion says u kill what u are and become a clone of what society wants.

Nullific is offline Banned
    Buddhism wasnt meant to be a collection of strict rules for mind-control like many organized religions.

Buddhism is all about your body they may have used to smoke or used marijuana for rituals way back but now that they know it harms your body it would deffinetly have changed to somthing they do not accept.
    Its not all about body, some Buddhists may practice things like yoga as a way to shape both their body and mind, others practice methods of meditation, some use drugs, the minority of buddhists worship any sort of god. Cannabis is one of the safest substances known to man, there are no records of death caused by marijuana in the thousands of years it has been used. They havn't even been able to give any real evidence suggesting use of cannabis leads to lung or brain damage.

The five precepts of Buddhism are:
    1. Abstain from killing living beings;
    2. Abstain from taking that which not given;
    3. Abstain from sexual misconduct;
    4. Abstain from false speech;
    5. Abstain from distilled substances that confuse the mind. (Alcohol and Drugs)

The underlying principle is non-exploitation of yourself or others. The precepts are the foundation of all Buddhist training. With a developed ethical base, much of the emotional conflict and stress that we experience is resolved, allowing commitment and more conscious choice. Free choice and intention is important. It is "I undertake" not 'Thou Shalt". Choice, not command.
    There are many Buddhist who use a wide range of drugs for mind expansion and as part of their lifestyle.

larry is offline Banned
    I know buddhism is against it
    but you can still be buddhist,
    just make efforts at trying to reduce your addiction.
    I dont think it is as bad as alcohol or cocaine.
    But buddhism is against all addictions.

duppy man is offline Registered+
    try converting to Rastafarian where it is without doubt 100% within that faith to smoke weed.
    I go to sleep and dream
    I wake and dream some more.
    Duppyman

larry is offline Banned
    I would rather not smoke weed

If it wasn't so fuckin good
    LOL

Quote Originally Posted by larry
    I know buddhism is against it
    but you can still be buddhist,
    just make efforts at trying to reduce your addiction.
    I dont think it is as bad as alcohol or cocaine.
    But buddhism is against all addictions.
    using does not = addict
    "This little game is fun to do
    Just close your eyes no way to lose
    And I'm right there I'm going too
    Release control we're breaking thru"

--Celebration of the Lizard

I believe in a long, prolonged, derangement of the senses in order to obtain the unknown.
    Jim Morrison

duppy man is offline Registered+
    each to their own larry, each to their own..
    I go to sleep and dream
    I wake and dream some more.
    Duppyman

larry is offline Banned
    Using/Doing Anything daily = Addiction

Nullific is offline Banned
    Maybe if you're catholic

Quote Originally Posted by larry
    Using/Doing Anything daily = Addiction
    Perhaps. Must be why I don't do that
    "This little game is fun to do
    Just close your eyes no way to lose
    And I'm right there I'm going too
    Release control we're breaking thru"

--Celebration of the Lizard

I believe in a long, prolonged, derangement of the senses in order to obtain the unknown.
    Jim Morrison

Kid Dynamite is offline Registered+
    as long as you dont get addicted your ok. My freinds dad is a buddhist monk who works with drug addicts in Thailand.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

mother, do you think they'll drop the bomb?

mother do you think they'll like this song?
    mother, do you think they'll try to break my balls?
    mother should I run for president?
    mother should I trust the government?
    mother will they put me in the firing line?

mother am I really dying?

mother, did it need to be so high?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast