Thread: How to tell if seeds are good or bad?

shovelcpl is offline Registered

How to tell if seeds are good or bad?

we have been keeping some seeds from various good bags and had them in a plastic baggie anyway how can you tell if the seeds are good or bad? male or female? can growing be done year round? thanks for the info fellas

babystarbud is offline Registered+
    well, if you had asked me that a few months back, i would hve said look for the larger shineyer brown, uncracked ones.
    if its cracked or squashed then its bad.

i would have said the pale/greish ones may not be good,

however, i got some skywalkers from dutch passion, and to look at, i would say they deffo looked below average, small and pale....but they had 100% germination and grew into beasts, so there you go.

seeds keep quite easy, aslong as they are kept away from moisture and reletivley cool, they will last.

freewheelinfrank is offline Registered+
    if you can crush them between your fingers, they were no good - even fresh seeds will probably float, so you can't go by that, but, MY personal method is to trash any seeds that refuse to sink after a 24-hour presoak - best way to store seeds is in the refrigerator - long-term freezing is permissible IF the seeds are DRY - nobody, repeat: nobody, can tell a male seed from a female seed - ideal temp for a plant is about 75 dgrees F, so few areas would support an outdoor grow in the Winter - besides, indoors has no cloudy days, no deer, moles, or bugs, etc
    Last edited by freewheelinfrank; Jan-29-2007 at 13:17.

Weedhound is offline Registered+
    plant them and see.....j/k

ive always wondered.. r seeds m/f before we put them in the ground and theres just no way to know til they grow up or is it entirely 50/50 based on the conditions as they grow?

MedaCynMan72 is offline Registered

Seeds

Raspect & Peace
    Was wondering same thing, havent found any sites that go into the research of seeds. Would THINK they would know some methods or Science on
    seeds by now.
    PLANT a SEED.....WATCH It GROW....Smoke HerB
    One Tamatoe PLANT....LOT of RASTA LOVE oneLove

...gas... is offline Registered+
    ive found the bigger ones r normely a go a , but if u want all laddies ,cutting s off a know female r the way 2 go , there are sum hormones out the u can try 2 in prove your rate, many thanx

MedaCynMan72 is offline Registered

Seeds

Raspect & Peace
    Just think there should Be some way to Look at the Seed & tell whats goin on with it.... Any guides like that?
    PLANT a SEED....WATCH It GROW.....Smoke HerB
    One Tamatoe PLANT....LOTS of RASTA LOVE oneLove