Thread: What are the best true breeding strains?

CityBoyGoneCountry is offline Registered+

Question What are the best true breeding strains?

Seed prices keep going up and I'm not willing to keep paying for them. I'm looking for a good strain that will breed true and provide me with seeds just as good as their parents.
    "I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours." ~ Stephen Roberts

Unknownfigure is offline Registered+
    Start by not killing off your males as soon as you detect them. Instead, isolate them and collect the pollen. Freeze it. When you need seeds (a shitload, really. A SHITLOAD.) De-freeze pollen, place in bag, pick out a fertile, yummy girl, wrap bag around a buddy branch, shake vigorously. Viola, pollenated. Blueberry is pretty good to do this with. (Btw: Don't let that pollenated female get near the others if you still want your bud crop to be sinsemilla.)
    R.I.P.
    Kenneth "Big Moe" Moore
    August 20, 1974 - October 14, 2007
    Never forget the Barre Baby

stinkyattic is offline CultiModerVatorAtor
    Skunk #1 "The Pure".
    It's a classic, hardy, fast, IBL. Make the seeds on your first run- shoudl give you PLENTY!!!! Don't forget to refresh your seed stock every 3-5 years.

Another thing to look into is a locally acclimated line. The Alaskan hippie weed descended from MTF is like that, and I know of at least a couple local strains in my area nicknamed "VT Green Lifesaver" and "Hilltown Humbleweed" that give good, consistent yields year in and year out. I don't know where you are, but if you get into the growers' circles you may eventually get your hands on something like those. You'll almost never find them for sale through vendors, though.

The exceptiopn that I can think of offhand is a strain called Island Sweet Skunk, ISS, or Sweet Island Skunk- Federation Seeds offers it- it's a Vancouver BC line that is truly stabilized.

Pure Afghans are another place to look if you want to keep on wiht seed runs indoors.

Always choose your male for excellent structure and vigor. Kill all but the BEST male, and save seeds only off the BEST seeded female based on finish, time to finish, yield, and smoke test. After a few generations what you started with will be drifting noticeably towards better suitability for your own specific growing conditions.

xcrispi is offline Registered+
    Hey Stinky ,
    Would N/L fit this list ?
    Seems alot of breeders include it in their mixes w/ claims of stability .
    Crispi

Comatose is offline Registered+
    Honestly, Northern Lights is the strain that I though of first when I saw your question. NL is 100% stable, meaning that you won't get any crazy phenotypes (different looking plants in Laymen's terms, for you non science folk, lol) from your batch of seeds. It has also been used to make some of the most popular/potent strains that have come out in the last 10 years. Stinky has posted some excellent strains as well (Skunk #1 is amazing if smell isn't an issue). I really don't think you can go wrong with any of the strains posted.

Just look up the seed banks IBL's lines show they are stable. Some good books
    list IBL's. Im always pushing his book but Greg Greens Cannabis Bible list tons of strains
    and he notes out the IBL's

xxxhazexxx is offline Registered+
    another 2 are afghani 1 and hindu kush 2 to solid indicas will not let you down and as stinky said you will get seeds the first time goodluck sounds intresting let us know how you get on.

xcrispi my mate uses nl#5 and gets very good results.
    Anything that is said by me in these forumns is for entertainment reasons only. I in no way condone any behavior or actions that may break any laws. Anything said by my username or any other username coming from this IP ADDRESS is all information and pictures that I have gathered from all over the internet, and reposted for others to see as well. Do not take anything I say serious, for as it is all for entertainment purposes only.

xcrispi is offline Registered+
    XXXHazeXXX- xcrispi my mate uses nl#5 and gets very good results.

Hey Haze - N/L -5 From which breeder ?
    Thanx bro.
    Crispi

Quote Originally Posted by Comatose View Post
    NL is 100% stable
    That's excellent to hear. I just happen to have five NL seeds left in my refrigerator. I had no idea it was a stable strain. I guess I will be getting my seeds from them. Assuming I don't have 5 males or five females, which is unlikely.
    "I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours." ~ Stephen Roberts

riverrat14 is offline Registered+
    Afghan makes the indica base of many skunks/hybreds. Nirvanas afghan is about the closest you will get. Excellent strain on its own too. (my farourite!)

xxxhazexxx is offline Registered+
    Quote Originally Posted by xcrispi View Post
    XXXHazeXXX- xcrispi my mate uses nl#5 and gets very good results.

Hey Haze - N/L -5 From which breeder ?
    Thanx bro.
    Crispi
    sensiseedbank
    Anything that is said by me in these forumns is for entertainment reasons only. I in no way condone any behavior or actions that may break any laws. Anything said by my username or any other username coming from this IP ADDRESS is all information and pictures that I have gathered from all over the internet, and reposted for others to see as well. Do not take anything I say serious, for as it is all for entertainment purposes only.

mfqr is offline Registered+
    How about the original haze . Or you could travel across distant lands finding landrace strains (Thailand, Africa, South America - basically any equatorial region).
    blaze the haze for daze
    Embrace the grace of the fine herb.

*****UPDATE*****

Of my 5 remaining NL seeds I had 3 females and 2 males. I kept the more vigorous of the males and allowed it to pollinate all 3 females. I harvested on Christmas day and am now the proud papa of hundreds of healthy NL seeds.

Future grows will show whether or not they live up to the quality I'm hoping for.