10,000 Watt 10 Plant 13 Gallon Rdwc [3d Model Incl. Inside Thread]

Discussion in 'Growroom Setup' started by cccmints, Aug 8, 2017.

1. cccmints

cccmints Registered

13 gallon buckets. 50 gallon reservoir. 2" water pump pvc connections. 1/2" air pump tube connections. Basing the design off this: https://www.thcfarmer.com/community/threads/12-x-1000-watt-xxl-8x24-scrog.48467/

Preview of Model
    [​IMG]
    Model
    https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model/4d671bdc-e139-4bcb-af18-009b91286aeb/10k-Hydroponics-Setup
    For full view install this program then download and open the file with SketchUp.
    https://www.sketchup.com/download/sketchup-viewer/windows/thank-you
    https://www.sketchup.com/download/sketchup-viewer/mac/thank-you

I've grown a couple of times but never like this. I'm not going to pull the trigger until I'm satisfied I've got everything hammered out. If anyone has any ideas to contribute or see any flaws please discuss here. I haven't chosen a strain or nutrient line yet. I'd like to shoot for around 1.5lbs per plant but I know that will take practice. I've heard people with similar setups going far beyond that, even past the 2s.

Equipment
    50 Gal Reservoir
    Aura Systems 36,000 BTU Mini-Split Air Conditioner
    Ideal-Air Dehumidifier 120 Pint w/ Internal Condensate Pump
    Aprilaire 800 Residential Steam Humidifier
    2x Jebao Inline Pond Pump 1500gph
    Hailea V-30 1800L/Hour Air Pump
    Active Aqua Chiller 1HP
    Titan Controls Ares 8 CO2 Generator
    Can Max Fan Mixed Flow Inline Fan, 10-Inch 1023 CFM

2. cccmints

cccmints Registered

What do you guys think about LED? I know HID is the tried and true, but I wonder if technology has gotten to the point where LED is worth using for a grow of this scale. I've read 650 watt LED = 1000 watt HID (depending on a million different factors for the specific LED compared of-course). Anyone have experience in this area?

3. Weezard

Weezard Registered+

Yes.
    I have been using home built LED arrays for >10 years.

I only use 2 colors and that bud was raised by a 50W. array. She did better than her sunlit clone in a side by side grow.
    I test everything in side by sides always looking for a better way to grow.

In the '60s, I used fluorescent tubes
    30 years ago I was using HPS and MH.
    Switched to LEDs in '06. No contest!
    The amount of "frost" is impressive.
    There is no attrition.
    Capitate glands don't get fried off.
    And with 0 ultraviolet, the potency is even more impressive than the sun grown.
    660nm. red does all the heavy lifting.

I say try a side grow under LED, that's what showed me. :)

Aloha,
    Wee

4. Weezard

Weezard Registered+

I'm testing a commercial, high wattage array from "Miracle Growth" to see if higher wattage is justified.
    It offers 160W. per sq. ft.. I use 52W. per sq. ft. now.
    If tripling the power used triples the yield, I'm in!
    But I doubt that will be the case. I can cause light bleaching with 50W. if they get too close to the crown.
    The only use I see for higher power consumption is for growing >6 foot plants because of the inverse square law.
    My cabinet has a 7 foot ceiling, so my tall girls have to grow outside.

5. cccmints

cccmints Registered

I used this to copy a build for what I'd consider a cost-effective, high quality equivalent to 1000w HPS: http://timbergrowlights.com/600-watt...4x4-framework/

FV: 34.9v x 1.450a = 50.6 watts per cob x 12 = 607.26 watts
    607.26 watts x 56% efficient = 340.0656 PARwatts
    340.0656 PARwatts x 90% (10% loss in photons due to walls, reflectors etc.) = 306.05904 PARw
    306.05904 PARw x 4.67 (specific QER for that light so urce) = 1429.2957168µmol/s
    1429.2957168 µmol/s divided by your space (4x4 per light) in meters = 961.5506909138818 PPFD for led

So about 961 PPFD for a 600w LED and 1158 PPFD for a 1000w HPS. Meaning nearly 20% greater performance with a 1000w HPS compared to a 600w LED. And for the cost...

Around $450 for a 1000w HPS fixture and $950 for a 600w LED fixture.

HPS: $4500
    LED: $9500
    $1200/year in bulb replacements (2x per year) with HPS. $167/month saved using LED over HPS. Hard to calculate money saved with LED due to lesser cooling demand. Theoretically, it would take around 1.5 years for LED to pay for itself and that's disregarding the basic research I did pointing to 600w LED being inferior to standard 1000w HPS by 20%. It looks like the only option I'd have would be to increase the initial cost of going LED even more by running a 700-800w fixture...At $5k increased costs as is, I'm not sure I'm willing to do that. I may look into LED again in a couple of years when they're cheaper/more advanced and I've earned some money from the HPS. LED is definitely interesting though...

6. Weezard

Weezard Registered+

:D You do a lot of math.

Faced with all the variables, I found that mathing it would be fraught with inaccuracies.
    So, instead, I put two clones under HPS, and two more under LEDs.
    Then kicked back and waited.

I agree that most, overpowered, commercial offerings are overpriced. So, I built my own.

It's not about raw power. It's about targeted spectrum.
    That array is only 56 watts. It will veg two plants to 3 feet tall.
    Then I switch to my 150W. for flower, or chuck them outside in the sun, depending on the current photoperiod outdoors.

We pay 4X the mainland rate for electricity, so my light amortized in less than 6 months.

Aloha,
    Weeze

Last edited: Aug 11, 2017