12/12 or 10/14 for flowering

Discussion in 'Indoor Growing' started by altwnyguy73, Jan 26, 2005.

1. altwnyguy73

altwnyguy73 Registered+

I was wondering what the thoughts were on whether its better to go 12/12 or 10 on/ 14 off for flowering...I have heard and read in several texts that you spead up the process be going 10/14 and I was wondering what peoples thoughts were on the subject...

Last edited: Jan 26, 2005
  2. Sensi Super Skunk

Sensi Super Skunk Registered+

I wouldn't do it. It would reduce the amount of lights the plants receive by 1/6 or 16%. You would also reduce total growth because the plant produces less material is produced for tissue building. The result is hasten ripening but this is not a good trade-off. But if you were still to attempt this however, you should do so during the last 10 days of flowering.

3. altwnyguy73

altwnyguy73 Registered+

Has anyone ever actually tried this....all opinions welcome and appreciated...peace!

4. altwnyguy73

altwnyguy73 Registered+

OK so the sun rises and sets ...minute or so each day outside...by fall in my area we get less day light than say, mid summer...This seems to indicate that late budding would have less light to work with in nature and hasten the plant to finish its cycle before winter...seems like mother nature and indoor have to coincide some where...just wondering if a gradual decrease in available light in a closed(indoor) enviroment would be benificial in speeding up the flowering process...

5. Sensi Super Skunk

Sensi Super Skunk Registered+

Ed Rosenthal, a well known pro-marijuana activist and very experienced grower did the 10/14 light procedure. What I posted above was what he experienced.

6. heartsurgerysurviver

heartsurgerysurviver Registered+

I understand your thinking altw. lowering the flower time from 12/12 to 10/14 will produce a fast finish but at the expense of smaller yields. the 12/12 is the maximum amout of light to trigger flowering. maximum light is necessary for maximum growth, which is what we are all looking for. less light=less growth
    If a faster finish is what you're after , try a strain thats done in 45 days or less. i see what you looking for and shorter light times isn't the answer.
    peace
    heart

7. vegasgrower

vegasgrower Registered+

Only shorten the light to 10/14 during the last week or two of flowering. I have done this and it seems to speed up the final maturing of the buds.If you need a quick flowering plant find a strain that finishes quickly

8. altwnyguy73

altwnyguy73 Registered+

just a bad set up here...wanna finish with something, but lookin for a fresh start...lol
    thx for all the input guys...peace

9. lordsoth666

lordsoth666 Registered+

I put some of my plants on 10/14 for the first 10 days to force flowering, it worked great, then I adjusted it to 11/13 for 5 days, then 12/12. It worked great, and I am thinking about doing it for the end of the flowering cycle as well.

10. altwnyguy73

altwnyguy73 Registered+

thinking I might reverse that...4 weeks into 12/12...thinking 11/13 for 2 0r 3 weeks and finishing 10/14... peace

11. lordsoth666

lordsoth666 Registered+

Sounds closer to natural light schedule, but I must admit, I am no expert on photoperiods. I am interested to see what results you get...

L0rdsOth :D

12. psychocat

psychocat Registered+

13. altwnyguy73

altwnyguy73 Registered+

happy to let you know what happens...switched to 11/13 this morning at end of 4th week...plan is 11/13 for weeks 5, 6, and 7 ,then 10/14 for final 7 to 14 days....wish they ladies luck...lol - peace

14. dylan

dylan Registered+

some strains will begin to flower with 13-14 hrs of light a day!

15. altwnyguy73

altwnyguy73 Registered+

heard this method can extend flowering time about 15% to increase yeild....

16. dylan

dylan Registered+

not shure, but more light means more time to grow each day. if the plant likes it i say it will be better than 12/12. my outdoor plants often start to flower with 14hrs of light a day.

17. altwnyguy73

altwnyguy73 Registered+

From what I have read,this should increase your yeild by 15 or 20%...if it works -go guy! I will consider this 4 future use...peace

18. newgroweroldsmoker

newgroweroldsmoker Registered+

i have read a review for Dutch Passion Dolce Vita 100%...a strain that needs only two weeks of vegetative growth and finishes in 8,5 weeks flowering time....has anyone ever cultivated this strain? it also says that produces a medium yield.....how much in grams or oz is a medium yield per plant?

19. altwnyguy73

altwnyguy73 Registered+

sounds like a winner...consider using these as mother plants- if the times are correct you could clone these plants iand save your veg time...get a perpetual grow going and harvest these ladies (start to finish) in 6 weeks or so

20. kraloth

kraloth Registered+

rite enyone know when the sun rises now in england