A few questions for the indoor soil growers.

Discussion in 'Basic Growing' started by TomSawyer2112, May 29, 2018.

1. TomSawyer2112

TomSawyer2112 Registered+

Okay, I’m using Fox Farms Ocean Forest soil exclusively for my grows. Can someone tell me how often to they use their potting soil for before trashing it out and buying a new batch? I’m trying to plan ahead for a fall and winter grow and right now, it looks like I’m going to be using 2 bags per two plants per grow. But if I can replant new seedlings in existing soil from my first grow at least once, it will cut down on expenses and having to store away bags of soil. And I’m sure there’s a shelf life on soil. I know that eventually plants will consume the nutrients in the soil unless I somehow replenish. Can anyone give me an idea on how to maximize my soil to it’s full potential before totally replacing the soil with a fresh batch?

2. Weezard

Weezard Registered+

I dump my FF outside to weather.
    The rainwater washes out salts and I populated it with friendly nematodes.
    Some of it gets put in containers for my vegetables straight away

After a year of mellowing and a dash of Captain Jack's ferts,
    it's good for another cannabis grow.
    After a second grow, it is depleted enough to germinate seeds in without "burning" their tender roots.
    Waste not, want not. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  3. emilya

emilya Future Dispensary Owner

If you start off with a good base soil such as FFOF or Roots Organic 101, you can do a lot of good by creating an organic living soil around it. By adding the raw ingredients needed for a good grow and letting that soil compost for 2 or 3 months, supplementing it with AACT (actively aerated compost tea) appropriate to the growing stage, and never hitting this dirt with chlorinated tap water, you can keep that soil going virtually forever. The soil I am using now is about 3 years old at this point, and still going strong. My soil is so strong that I regularly re-use 7 gal containers of soil by pulling out the center root mass and transplanting my new plants coming out of the veg tent right in there. The soil is still very active with living organics and I hit the plants with an AACT almost every week, adding back in a huge amount of nutrients each time I water. After 2 rounds I move that soil back to the big 55 gal drums where I compost my soil and it cooks for another month or so before reuse. I throw very little soil away, but my base for this living organic soil was at least half Fox Farm Ocean Forest, and half Roots Organic.

• Like Like x 1
  4. TomSawyer2112

TomSawyer2112 Registered+

Do you prefer to keep the compost drum in shade or out in the sun? Also, if kept outside, how do you prevent unwelcome bugs from nesting in it?

5. Weezard

Weezard Registered+

Heat.
    Compost, done right, will get hot enough to kill seeds , bugs, and pathogens.
    So, in the sun is good.