A Troubleshooting form! Yay! You know you wanted one!

Discussion in 'Plant Problems' started by stinkyattic, Jul 31, 2007.

1. coolerbuds12

coolerbuds12 Registered

I NEED HELP

Hello out there I am a first time hydro grower. I need some advice. My bottom branches on my plant are drying turning pail and yellow I believe it was caused by a nute overdose when I moved my girl to flowering. Since then I have trimmed rusty brown roots added hydrogen peroxide. I was only 2 weeks into flowering at that time so I bumped it back to veggie stage for 2 more weeks now this is what I have see pics. As you can see the bottom branches are drooping but the top is thribing any suggestions?

Attached Files:

2. irydyum

irydyum Registered+

Post in the right spot

You should have posted this as a new thread in plant problems. People won't see it here.

3. Rusty Trichome

Rusty Trichome Registered+

Thanks for the assist folks, it's appreciated. :thumbsup:

Ok...how's this one? I think I included everything mentioned.

The only way for me to accurately post one for outdoors, is to look online and steal some ideas to construct one, or, if someone here has a few spare moments and would like to participate by outlining what the content should include...All appropriate credit will be given, or, y'all can post it y'alls self, lol. (but I'd practice here first for additional imputs):

Soil Grows - Peat Based

What is your experience level? (first timer, novice, experienced...)

Your Equipment:
    .1) Type and wattage of lights. (MH, HPS, CFL's, tube fluorescents, LED's)
    .2) Distance from tops?
    .3) Reflector type? (cool tube set-up, bat wing, enclosed reflector, bare bulb...)
    .4) Is there a consistent fresh air supply?
    .5) Do you have an exhaust fan and a circulation fan?
    .6) What are the bulb wattages, kelvin ratings, and schedule?

Your medium:
    .7) Specific brand and type of soil, (coco, peat based soilless...) and anything you've added to it. (vermiculite, perlite, worm castings...)
    .8) Size of container.
    .9) Did you use peat pucks (or similar) to root clones or germinate seedlings?

Your nutrients and water:
    10) Source of water? (tap, bottled or filtered) What's it's ph before adjusting?
    11) Method of checking water ph. (ph pen, test strips, aquarium test kit...)
    12) Method of adjusting water ph. (phosphoric acid, white vinegar, hydrated lime, PH Up...)
    13) Specific brand and N-P-K ratio for each bottle. List dosages (quantity per gallon) and current feeding schedule.
    14) How often are you watering between feedings, and how much per watering?
    15) Any additives or tea's? (Superthrive, CalMag, molasses, Mother's Earth...)
    16) Are your ph levels stable, or do they fluctuate?
    17) What is your ingoing water's ph? ...your runoff ph?
    18) Do you foliar feed? If so, with what, how often, and at what time do you spray?

Your growroom:
    19) Indoors or outdoors?
    20) What size of closet, room or hut?
    21) What are the temps and humidity levels while lights are on? ...With lights off?
    22) Have you seen signs of insects in the growroom?

Your strain:
    23) What strain are you growing? (Indica dominate or Sativa dom?)
    24) From seeds or clones?
    25) Is this an autoflower strain?

Hydro Grows - NFT, Aeroponic, Hempy Bucket, Flood-n-Drain...Coco

What is your experience level? (first timer, novice, experienced...)
    What type of hydro set-up are you running?

Your Equipment:
    A) Type and wattage of lights. (MH, HPS, CFL's, tube fluorescents, LED's)
    B) Distance from tops?
    C) Reflector type? (cool tube set-up, bat wing, enclosed reflector, bare bulb...)
    D) What are the bulb wattages, kelvin ratings, and schedule?
    E) Is there a consistent fresh air supply?
    F) Do you have an exhaust fan and a circulation fan?
    G) Size of reservoir?
    H) What medium if applicable.

I) If using rockwoll for clones or seedlings, did you rinse the cubes well, with properly ph'd water?
    J) Source of water. (tap or filtered) What's it's ph?
    K) Specific brand and N-P-K ratio for each bottle. List dosages (quantity per gallon) and current feeding schedule.
    L) What is the ec/ppm of your unadjusted tap (or filtered) water?
    M) What is the ec/ppm of your nutrient solution?
    N) What is the temperature of your nutrient solution? (reservoir high and low temps)
    O) Does your ec/ppm show a rise or fall when you do your daily PPM check?
    P) Does the ph fluctuate?
    Q) Do you foliar feed? If so, with what, how often, and at what time do you
    spray? (Just after lights come on, just before they go out...)
    R) How often do you replace reservoir water/nutes? What does it look like before changes? (clear, foamy, green, brown...)

Your growroom:
    S) What size of closet, room or hut?
    T) What are the temps and humidity levels while lights are on? ...With lights off?
    U) Have you seen signs of insects in the growroom?
    V) Are the roots long and white, or brown and slimy?

Your strain:
    W) What strain are you growing? (Indica dominate or Sativa dom?)
    X) From seeds or clones?[/QUOTE]
    Y) Is this an autoflower strain?[/QUOTE]

I could copy and post each method as it's own thread, (with instructions for copying, pasting and answering) and hopefully we can close the thread if FBR agrees, so no errant postings will confuse it's intent or purpose. Perhaps the last chance for changes...:cool:

Last edited: Jul 20, 2009
  4. thehoodman

thehoodman Registered

new to growing problem is plants r outside on porch 4 ft doing very good then started dyeing from bottom up now starting 2 grow on bottom still dyeing going up but tops r doing good but dyeing in middle please help losing battel

5. JuggaloToker420

JuggaloToker420 Registered

My plants have been up for 4 days now growing in normal sunlight indoor theyve been growing what seems realy fast is it a good or bad thing. (first grow no experience at all)
    Snapshot_20120320.JPG

6. green_gardenr

green_gardenr Registered+

cant figure out why these leaves are turning and what the spotting is from..if anyone has any advice thanks for your time :) btw its mostly on the smaller ones

H=Answer if you grow hydro or aero
    C=Answer if you grow coco
    S=Answer if you grow traditional soil
    L=Answer if you grow soilless other than coco (Promix, Hyponex, SunshineMix)
    R=Answer if you grow in RockWool
    T=Answer if you grow in HydroTon
    D=Answer if you run any type of automatic drip system, including into soil or soilless
    E= EVERYONE needs to answer lol!

E-indoor
    E-soil
    E-soil
    CSL-Soil roots organic
    HCL-Hydro/aero/soilless system type
    SCL-bit of malibu compost, bit of microhhyzzae
    SCLR-unknown
    E-tap (let it sit with water conditioner for bout 10-20min usually before adding nutes)
    E-5.8-6.2
    HRT-Source water EC (if hydro)
    E-6 wks flower...prob vegged 4 wks
    E-house and garden cocos a & b, also compost tea every once in awhile, along with house and garden additives like bud xl and top shooter, also giving sugaree from cutting edge here n there
    E-moderate feeding ppm sometimes as low as 300 but sometimes highest like 1200...500-1000ppm is normal
    E-4x600hps 2x1000hps
    E-Air temperature (both day 72-78 and night 60-65)
    HD-Reservoir temperature
    E-40% but spikes up to 80...i think right after lights go off..still working on this problem also sometimes goes down to like 29
    E-12 on 12 off
    E-10in max fan with 10x48 carbon filter, 10 inch intake fan
    TR-Did you pre-soak your media in pH corrected solution?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 15, 2012
  7. mrumley

mrumley Registered+

I am having a hard time finding the troubleshooting thread to fill out the form, so I will try my question here (and if anyone knows where I can find the troubleshooting form, plz let me know) We are starting to get concerned with our seeds and clones. Over the last 2 years we have not really had a problem with seeds or clones, until recently. We put them under the dome and once we place into the tub (we grow hydroponics) they just seem to stop growing. The clones just seem to stay small and wimpy looking. The seeds stretch for the light, and most of the seeds pull themselves up and grow nicely. We follow all the step when cutting clones, but I am wondering if the change in tempuratures from day to night could cause this? We do have air/heat control in the rooms but I just can't figure out why the clones aren't growing and why the seeds grow so slow. Thanks to all those that read and those that give any suggestions. Thanks :D

8. mrumley

mrumley Registered+

What is your experience level? (first timer, novice, experienced...) NOVICE
    Your Equipment:
    .1) Type and wattage of lights. (MH, HPS, CFL's, tube fluorescents, LED's) MH 600W
    .2) Distance from tops? 4-6 INCHES
    .3) Reflector type? (cool tube set-up, bat wing, enclosed reflector, bare bulb...)COOL TUBE
    .4) Is there a consistent fresh air supply? YES
    .5) Do you have an exhaust fan and a circulation fan? YES
    .6) What are the bulb wattages, kelvin ratings, and schedule? 600W, 24HOUR LIGHTS

Your medium:
    .7) Specific brand and type of soil, (coco, peat based soilless...) and anything you've added to it. (vermiculite, perlite, worm castings...) ROCKWOOL
    .8) Size of container. 6X6 CUBES, 20 GALLON RESERVOIRS
    .9) Did you use peat pucks (or similar) to root clones or germinate seedlings? YES

10) Source of water? (tap, bottled or filtered) What's it's ph before adjusting? WELL WATER
    11) Method of checking water ph. (ph pen, test strips, aquarium test kit...) TEST STRIPS
    12) Method of adjusting water ph. (phosphoric acid, white vinegar, hydrated lime, PH Up...) PH DOWN
    13) Specific brand and N-P-K ratio for each bottle. List dosages (quantity per gallon) and current feeding schedule. BOTANICARE 3-2-4
    14) How often are you watering between feedings, and how much per watering? WATER PUMPS COME ON 4 TIMES A DAY (IN 24 HOURS)
    15) Any additives or tea's? (Superthrive, CalMag, molasses, Mother's Earth...) CAL-MAG
    16) Are your ph levels stable, or do they fluctuate? FLUCTUATE
    17) What is your ingoing water's ph? ...your runoff ph? INGOING - 7.5 RUN OFF - 7.0
    18) Do you foliar feed? If so, with what, how often, and at what time do you spray? NO

Your growroom:
    19) Indoors or outdoors? INDOOR
    20) What size of closet, room or hut? 10 X 12 (12 FOOT CEILINGS)
    21) What are the temps and humidity levels while lights are on? ...With lights off? LIGHT ON: TEMP 82 DEGREES, HUMIDITY 35% (LIGHTS ARE ON 24HOURS IN VEG)
    22) Have you seen signs of insects in the growroom? SOME GNATS, BUT THATS ALL

Your strain:
    23) What strain are you growing? (Indica dominate or Sativa dom?) BOTH
    24) From seeds or clones? BOTH
    25) Is this an autoflower strain?NO

Here is the info for my grow room. the problem is with our clones or seeds just being wimpy. I answered all that I could, but if you need more info PLEASE let me know. Thanks :cool:

9. tiboud

tiboud Registered

sick plant

my plant is dying on one limb. leaves are turning yellow and brown only on one limb. all the rest of the plant is doing great. what to do?

10. PossumLiquor

PossumLiquor Registered+

H E L P !!! DIAGNOSIS NEEDED !!!

Plant Problems

First: The Pics​

Just (11) days old today

11days 5 (WTF-low N).jpg 11days 4.jpg 11days 3.jpg

Now: The Questionnaire​

What is your experience level? (first timer, novice, experienced...) - First Time(Indoor), SOME exp. outdoor (20 yrs ago)
    Your Equipment:
    .1) Type and wattage of lights. (MH, HPS, CFL's, tube fluorescents, LED's) - CFL's - Total(true)Wattage: 295w
    .2) Distance from tops? - 2"-2 1/2"
    .3) Reflector type? (cool tube set-up, bat wing, enclosed reflector, bare bulb...) - DIY (reflective insulation/disposable baking pans)
    .4) Is there a consistent fresh air supply? - Yes
    .5) Do you have an exhaust fan and a circulation fan? - Yes
    .6) What are the bulb wattages, kelvin ratings, and schedule? - (1)65w@6500k; (6)x23w@6500k; (4)x23w@5000k; Schedule: On (24)hrs./day

Your medium:
    .7) Specific brand and type of soil, (coco, peat based soilless...) and anything you've added to it. (vermiculite, perlite, worm castings...) - 1 Part (pt)- organic peat; 1 pt- perl (90% organic, 10% MG); 1 pt- verm; 1/10 pt- cocoa mulch (hand-ground to near-fine consistency); 1/10 pt- dolomite lime
    .8) Size of container. - 4" sq. X 5 1/2" deep
    .9) Did you use peat pucks (or similar) to root clones or germinate seedlings? - No

10) Source of water? (tap, bottled or filtered) What's it's ph before adjusting? - Brita-filtered, aged Tap H2O; ph=6.0
    11) Method of checking water ph. (ph pen, test strips, aquarium test kit...) - Soil spike (?), Validate readings w/ph test-caps every 2-3 readings
    12) Method of adjusting water ph. (phosphoric acid, white vinegar, hydrated lime, PH Up...) - Dolomite Lime
    13) Specific brand and N-P-K ratio for each bottle. List dosages (quantity per gallon) and current feeding schedule. - 20% solution (sol.)(increased from 5% [3] days after planting) GreenLight All-Purpose Plant Food(20-20-20) - FEEDING: started @ 2X's/day (misting top of soil until damp & plain H2O @ twice the volume in between) & now use it as 25% of total H2O volume every other watering (just started to H2O @ full volume 4 days ago);
    ***35-40% sol. Epsoma Organic Bio-Tone Starter Plus (4-3-3 + Colony Forming Units (CFU) and Ectomycorrhizal Fungi) - FEEDING: *in combination w/the following nutes - schedule at end of nute list* ;20% sol. Epsoma Flower-Tone (3-4-5 + CFU's); 20% sol. True-Source Organic Tomato-Grower (4-3-7 + CFU's)***
    -used these organics mixed w/an = amount of fine-ground cocoa-hull mulch (recovered from 'tea-bag bindle' after simmering [2 1/2]c of ground mulch in [1] gal. H2O for [2]hrs. to make 'plant tea' --rinsed soil w/ 20% sol. of 3% Hydrogen Peroxide [H2O2] to increase O2 & kill the 'bad' microbes first & waited [3]hrs. before adding the mulch tea-- used in hope of increasing N) -the wet mulch was dried for (24)hrs., then 'dusted' w/ lime @ 20% total volume of mulch, & baked @ 250 for (2)hrs. to sterilize it-
    FEEDING: (1) time (yesterday) - each nute called for (1-2+)Tsp./plant - I added 1/2 Tsp./plant around the edges, added a moderate amount of H2O, allowed soil to thoroughly drain for (1)hr. before adding a 'full watering' volume of H2O (until the top of the soil was nearly muddy), & allowed them to completely drain in fresh air for (4)hrs.-
    As stated above, I have H2O2, as well as Epsom Salts, on hand for emergencies.
    14) How often are you watering between feedings, and how much per watering? - plain H2O every othertime @ (1/2 - 3/4) of full H2O volume, making sure to add at least twice the volume of plain H2O as nute/fert H2O
    15) Any additives or tea's? (Superthrive, CalMag, molasses, Mother's Earth...) - Cocoa-hull mulch tea, off to get molasses after I post this
    16) Are your ph levels stable, or do they fluctuate? - Stable (6.2 - 6.5)
    17) What is your ingoing water's ph? ...your runoff ph? - Ingoing: 6.0; Runoff: 6.5 - 6.7
    18) Do you foliar feed? If so, with what, how often, and at what time do you spray? - plain H2O irregularly

Your growroom:
    19) Indoors or outdoors? - In
    20) What size of closet, room or hut? - 24"w X 20"d X 31"h
    21) What are the temps and humidity levels while lights are on? ...With lights off? - Lights On: Temp.=80 - 85; Hum.=38% - 45% -- Lights Off: unknown -still on 24/7 schedule
    22) Have you seen signs of insects in the grow-room? - (1) 'stink-bug' (which didn't last long!)

Your strain:
    23) What strain are you growing? (Indica dominate or Sativa dom?) - *unknown* bagseed (2) types - (1) seemed slightly more 'Sativa-y' but w/ plenty of Indica traits (in the bud - pollinated by ???) & (1) was definitely Indica dominate
    24) From seeds or clones? - Seed
    25) Is this an autoflower strain?- Doubt it

11. Weezard

Weezard Registered+

Ugh!
    They are suffocating.
    Bet they stopped moving water completely when their tiny rootlets got fried by too early ferts.

Give them nothing but PH'ed water and very mild soil for the first two weeks of life, or until the cotyledons start to shrink.

Those 'lings are in bad shape.
    You may have to start over.

With nothing to lose, I'd try gently rinsing the roots and re-potting in clean soil.
    Drastic?
    Yeah, but left in that muck they are doomed.

Best of luck,
    Weezard

• Like Like x 1
  12. PossumLiquor

PossumLiquor Registered+

Took your advice and . . .

On Sat. (04/12), I transplanted everything into larger pots. For a MEDIUM I lined the bottom of the pot w/ Organic Perl and added 'Hand-Fluffed' Pressed Coconut Husks equal to (1/3) total volume of the pot. I filled the rest w/ a Mix Of:
    • (1) Part (pt) Organic Peat,
    • (1 1/2) pt Perl (75% organic, 25% MG),
    • (1/2) pt Cocoa-Hull Mulch.

I amended this w/ (2/3) the recommended dosage 0f Epsoma Organic Bio-Tone Starter Plus. Before watering, I added 100% of the recommended dosage of Organic Dolomite Lime.

The Process which I used was:
    1. Cut the old pot at opposing corners
    2. Folded the 'double-diamond' back & placed my hand underneath to support the soil/root-ball.
    3. GENTLY crumbled the old soil until either the root-ball separated itself of until I could see the small, white root hairs.
    4. I placed the plant in the dry medium, allowing plenty of 'extra loose' medium beneath the roots.

I filled the pots to the top w/ medium, added the lime, and watered at a moderate volume (probably [2/3] full H2O volume) w/ Brita-Filtered Aged Tap-Water. I allowed them to drain (minimal drainage occurred - enough to check run-off ph, though) and 'rest' in the open air for a couple of hours while I amended the Grow-Environment as follows: Increased Ventilation to include (2) 4" Fans, (1) 10" Oscillating Fan, (1) Clip-On 'A/C Unit' (blows 'cooler' air but not what I expected :( ), Larger Intake/Exhaust Ports, and Moved Grow-Box Intake Closer To A Fresh Air Source. I also opted to Allow The Doors To Remain Open (what the hell? . . . I have LOTS of light [423w -'true' cfl w's - & almost 28,000lm in a 24" X 20" X 28" box. I'm still on 24/0, so I can afford a little light loss to deal w/ temps.) In case that was missed, my Lighting is 423w ('true' cfl wattage) producing 27,980 Lumens. I am now running (6) 23w - 6500k@1500lm/ea., (1) 65w - 6500k@3900lm, (4) 23w - 5000k@1600lm/ea., (2) 23w - 2700k@1640lm/ea., (1) 40w - 2700k@2600lm, and (1) 42w - 2700k@2800lm.

It's been close to 48hrs. now, and I haven't done more than peek at the thermometer. I'm about to go in and check on their condition. I'll be back to update and post pics regardless of the results! Good Luck To Me !!! :) !!!

13. PossumLiquor

PossumLiquor Registered+

SUCCESS !!! (Ithink . . .)

OK - they seem damned delighted :thumbsup: I'll need confirmation on that, though. The pics are in order from sickest to ?healthiest?.

HERE ARE THE PICS:​

2wks 1 (the WTF plant - 2days after trans).jpg 2wks  2.jpg 2wks 3.jpg 2wks 4.jpg 2wks 5.jpg 2wks 6.jpg 2wks 7.jpg

Who wants to render a verdict? -healthy? -dying? -both? Remember, they are two weeks old today, if that needs to be factored in.

14. Weezard

Weezard Registered+

They look to be on the mend.
    With that much light, for that long, they will have very tight internodes and stay quite short.
    (No incentive to stretch)

Here's a useful trick.
    Get a postal scale.

I used to think that my guess-timation skills were top notch.
    Until I got a scale.
    When a pot was feather light, it's obvious, but late.
    When saturated, it's also obvious but no help.

It's that mid range that's important and that's the hardest to judge by hand.

A 16oz. beer cup full of dry coco weighs ~3.2oz.
    Full of water? 16oz.
    When mine get to about 5oz. I add 3 or 4oz. of water.
    The seem to like to "idle" a ~7oz., (50% saturation), and begin to wilt around 4.5.
    Next time your pots get dry, weigh 'em.
    Then water them just right, and weigh them again.
    Works well for young uns.

As they get bigger you have to factor in the weight of the trees of course.
    No problem, just repeat the calibration when you up-pot and write it on the pot.

Looks like you saved these pups.
    Congrats!
    Weeze

15. PossumLiquor

PossumLiquor Registered+

SWEET !!! :thumbsup: !!! Thanks for the advice, and I will start weighing my pots. As an avid watcher of Mythbusters, (& Kari's boyfriend :cool: ), I should have already known that. Thanks again. I appreciate all the help I can get. I'm an 'Old-Schooler' (outdoors, pissin' around the patch, hanging soap, buckets in tree 'Y's', 'Judas Priest-British Steel-era' razor blades in the stalks (1-2)wks. before harvest [X-tra stress caused buds to plump like Ballpark Franks, & it . . . um . . . discouraged 'poachers']).

Science makes me happy . . . RESULTS make me happier :D

Thanks again. I'll keep posting. Y'all are a God-send.

16. jalvarez0034

jalvarez0034 Registered+

NEWBIE HELP

k heres the scoop im growing outdoors but currently vegging inside under t5 grow bulbs from the grow store, started my operation april 3rd, i picked up 3 kings, chem 5, master kush and gdp, i transplanted all of them 2 days later cause they were ready, i went to bare roots n bought MAXI GROW 10-5-14, Earth Juice catalyst, MAD FARMER, NUTS, SILICA SHEILD, GET UP, GET DOWN AND B1. The first feed for the 4 was at half tsp maxi, silica sheild and nuts, k peachy they took to it well, started seeing small webs and beimg eager wanted to kill all bugs so i found pepperspray, so i mixed crushed red peppers which i steeped in hot water cause i had no cayenne pepper, garlic and dawn dishsoap, foliar sprayed n went on about my day, at this point i picked up 2 more master clones cause my original had grown a ft in a week, a day later they appeared as wat u see in the photo now i did give them a foliar application of nuts and silica to half of wat it said on the bottom now heres my question is this nute burn or from the damn pepper spray theve been like this for 3 days so when i waterd last night it was pure water, all feeds have been ph-ed at 5.5-6.0 using get up n get dpwn accordingly please anything helps...

Attached Files:

17. jalvarez0034

jalvarez0034 Registered+

master kush

This is the first master i got and he seems to have taken a lil beating too, oh and i topped all plants like 4 days prior to the foliar feed and the first nute feed the pics above of are 3 kings chem5 gdp and the other mk clones i got a week later

Attached Files:

18. PossumLiquor

PossumLiquor Registered+

Update - They Have Been SAVED! (I think . . .) Here they are 13 days after undergoing rigorous defoliation, some LST, and FIM. The pics are the same order as before (same plants) from sickest to healthiest

24 days 1.jpg 24 days 2.jpg 24 days 3.jpg 24 days 5.jpg 24 days 6.jpg 24 days 7.jpg 24 days 8.jpg

They seem ok, right?

19. Weezard

Weezard Registered+

First one looks hungry.
    Does not mean that you should feed it.
    Could be unable to use what it has.
    Could be waterlogged.

I don't like the bunchyness of the tops, that could be a broadmite sign, but might just be genetic.
    There's just too many variables to be definitive here.

Mo' betta, wait until a better troubleshooter comes along.

Aloha,
    Weeze

• Like Like x 1
  20. Jorososa

Jorososa Registered

I was wondering what these white and yellow spots on my plant were about.

Attached Files: