AAAHHH SPIDER MITES!!!

Discussion in 'Plant Problems' started by wild1, Jun 20, 2006.

1. wild1

wild1 Registered

you know those little almost green microscopic fuckers.. they drain moisture and shit outta your plants and im suffering from them hardcore. i dont know what type of pesticide to use to get rid of em and already ive lost 3 of my babies.. im in desperate need of help.. please anyone with any tricks of the trade will be much appreciated thanx :( :(

2. sjacobs713

sjacobs713 Registered+

use ladybugs...

3. SkunkMe1

SkunkMe1 Registered+

4. Opie Yutts

Opie Yutts Registered+

5. Jdog7000

Jdog7000 Registered+

Mights are a bitch.
    Start fightng them now.Or you could loose everything.
    Spray with pyrythrum.
    Or use a bomb.
    No pest strips seem to work.

6. Zandor

Zandor Registered+

7. slowthestone

slowthestone Banned

8. stinkyattic

stinkyattic CultiModerVatorAtor

Yeah...You don't want to damage the leaves.

Mites have a tough time reproducing in COLD conditions, so if you're set on using temperature to break their life cycle, put an AC on and drop your temps.

Why reinvent the wheel? Pyrethrins, beneficials, neem, cool weather... hitting the plants with a Dust Buster is another possibility.

9. Zandor

Zandor Registered+

What ever you do it needs to break the life cycle of the pest so that means every 2 to 3 day's for about 2 weeks.

The foggers may say it will last a week but don't trust them. You must break the cycle.

10. Opie Yutts

Opie Yutts Registered+

Why is this so hard to understand?

Buy a No Pest Strip for 9$

Put in your closet for 2 weeks.

Do it again at your next light change from veg to bloom (If needed).

No more mites ever, period, enless you bring more in, or let more in.

People must not believe me. Unless you have massive ventilation that can't be turned off at night, I will bet you any amount of money that you want. I take Pay Pal.

Please believe me; I am only trying to save you all the trouble of going through what I did, and that is do all the other stuff that people recommend.

11. Jdog7000

Jdog7000 Registered+

I've heard alot of people saying they swear by the no pest strips.
    I'm about to start using them myself.
    That and the Bombs will insure that you will not have a big problem.

I'm using both just to be careful.
    I seem to have beat them with the bombs.
    But you know hoow they are.
    So I'm using the pest strips too.
    Someone said to put it in the room for 3 days every 60 -90 days.
    I'm doing it every 30 days to be sure.

12. Opie Yutts

Opie Yutts Registered+

I'm doing it every 30 days to be sure.

If you don't have any more mites, why keep using anything? Or do you have a problem with them getting in on there own? If this were the case, and I had a little time, it would be pretty high on my priority list to remedy. I remember seeing a number of posts about ways to stop mites from getting in. If this is not the case, then the pest strip will kill them forever.

13. s12fever

s12fever Registered+

lol "spider mites" makes them sound so scary...we call them afids here (unless thats a different kinda bug) :eek:

14. Opie Yutts

Opie Yutts Registered+

It's a different kind of bug. Not even close. And they are extremely scary, but not spiders. They make webs like spiders though. You will know what I mean if you get them. Pray to God you don't, and thank him every day that you are mite free. Check out the picture in my reply in the post I linked.

15. Zandor

Zandor Registered+

Opie the problem is when you have an infestation that is not good enough. You assume they fly to get up to the strip? Once you have a problem with them you need to break their life cycle or they will out reproduce your efforts.

Yes they are great from day one and with fungal gnats yes they work fine but if you have spider mites it's not enough. They live on the underside of the leaf and wreck havoc in many grow rooms.

16. seattle420

seattle420 Banned

17. Opie Yutts

Opie Yutts Registered+

Opie the problem is when you have an infestation that is not good enough.
    I'm sorry to beg to differ, but if it is not good enough, why did it cure my infestation from hell (I'm talking webbing on the ceiling) in two separte rooms, and why has it completely ridded so many other grows of mite infestations? I kind of thought if something works as well or better than anything else, and it's much, much more convenient than anything else, then it's good enough.

You assume they fly to get up to the strip?
    I assume no such thing. In fact I assume the exact opposite. They try to get away from the strip since it is toxic. However they are not successful. The toxins permiate the air and seek the little bastards out. I guess you don't know what we are talking about when we say No Pest Strip.

Once you have a problem with them you need to break their life cycle or they will out reproduce your efforts.
    Tell me about it. I guess you didn't read my other replies about this. I battled them suckers for years. I tried EVERYTHING that I had heard of except bombs and garlic cloves. I spent at least $1000, probably more like $2500 though. I found out about the No Pest Strips, and I too did not believe they would work. One cost $9 though, so why the fuck not try one after spending thousands. I set one on the floor of my closet one night. The next morning I could not believe my eyes. There were still plenty of mites alright, they were just all dead. I looked at the eggs with my microscope, and the little suckers were dead in their tracks as they tried to come out. Imagine. The entire life cycle broken in a few hours. I kept the strip in the closet a week just to be safe and have never seen a mite since. If you are growing in soil you will need to do it again at the next light change. That's it. Really. Please believe me. Please bet me if you don't.

yes they work fine but if you have spider mites it's not enough.
    Again, wrong. Sorry but that's just wrong. You are Zandor, I know. You are also wrong. It worked for me, and the many others who were not to pig-headed to give it a try, so it is enough. I don't see any other way around it.

They live on the underside of the leaf and wreck havoc in many grow rooms.
    Again, tell me something I don't know. I spent months researching the little bastards. My grow rooms were some of the ones they reaked havoc on.

Zandor, love you man.

18. s12fever

s12fever Registered+

My bother spotted a small green caterpillar on my plant the other day... it was curling my leaves to make a home & webbing everywhere... leaves white cum stains all over my leaves...
    My good pal Opie, what sorta thingy-ma-jiggy could i spray on these fuckers to kill em?

19. Opie Yutts

Opie Yutts Registered+

s12, I've never had that problem, but I imagine something like Raid bug spray would kill them. Raid now even makes an all natrural spray or two, which I've tried, and seems to work on ants and stuff. I don't know about keeping them from coming back though. I would probably try some neem oil spray or something similar.

Hey, wait a minute. White stains? So maybe that's what those were on my outdoor grow. I never worried too much about bug damage on my outdoor grow. Hey, it's going to happen, and you'll still get weed.

20. Jdog7000

Jdog7000 Registered+

No RAID!!!!!
    Use a catipillar killer.