Anyone know what's causing this ? (Pics)

Discussion in 'Plant Problems' started by Buds Buddy, Apr 17, 2018.

1. Buds Buddy

Buds Buddy Registered+

I've got some yellowing on the tips of the upper leaves & the bottom leaves started out with just the tips but have since went around the edges of the leaves & a couple leaves have died off. Hopefully someone can tell what's going on from the pics. Everything I read says too many different things can cause it i.e. overwatering, lack of nutrients, too many nutrients, lack of nitrogen, etc. How do I know which thing it is so I don't treat it for the wrong thing ? GEDC3748.JPG GEDC3751.JPG GEDC3753.JPG GEDC3754.JPG GEDC3755.JPG GEDC3756.JPG

2. Pupp

Pupp Registered+

Too much nutrients I think. According to the Plant Doctor anyway. You'll need to flush for plants with probably neutral water. But let someone with more experience answer first. I don't grow weed yet, but eventually. Right now I can't take the chance of it being seen. Maybe after I get an addition to my house built I'll have room for a small grow space.

3. Buds Buddy

Buds Buddy Registered+

You might be right. I know I didn't feed too often but I sure could have mixed it too strong. Bought the Flora Series so switching to it tomorrow. The guy at the Hydro store seems to think it's not enough water. Too many things it could be & being new at this it's hard to narrow it down.

4. irydyum

irydyum Registered+

If that's a clear rubbermaid you're growing in, I'd look for roots hitting the edge and taking on light. You want roots to be in the dark.

5. Buds Buddy

Buds Buddy Registered+

Will covering the sides with something do the trick ? Didn't think about that when I transplanted them last week. Roots are already at the sides in that short time. I also leached all 4 plants yesterday till I got about a Gal. of run off on each. Then added fresh nutrients .... 4 ml.-Flora Micro /4-ml.- Flora Grow /4-ml.- Flora Bloom /1 ml. - Root / 1 ml. - Floralicious Plus /2.5 ml. - Flora Blend & 2.5 ml. - CaliMagic per 1-gal. of Purified Water with pH @ 6.5. Everything is looking good so far but it's only been 1 day. Sure hope I did the right thing as I was using Miracle Grow Noots till I learned a little more about this. My set up has changed 3 times already on my 1st grow.
    Thanks for telling me about the root thing.

6. irydyum

irydyum Registered+

Yeah, covering the sides with something light-proof should be sufficient.

Just make sure you don't reduce the breathability by too much when you do. Getting air in through some holes to the roots is essential as well.

Judging by the overall look in the photos, I think you'll do just fine. Think of it like the Titanic. Steer small and early. Once you see the iceberg in your path, it's likely too late. Plants don't respond well in general to dramatic change, hence the steer small part. Also, too many variable changes makes diagnosis more like playing darts than chess.

Happy growing!

Iry

7. Buds Buddy

Buds Buddy Registered+

one more question. I just noticed some purpling in the leaf stems. I'm guessing it's from too much water caused by leaching & it should clear up in a few days as the soil dries. ?????
    It wasn't there prior to leaching & adding new noots.

8. WashougalWonder

WashougalWonder Registered+

Dude, looks like N burn to me. Miracle Gro kills weed. You are giving way too much nutes for soil. If you use Fox Farm Ocean Forest and NO nutes you will be fine if you repot every 6 weeks. The "purpling" is a trait of female plants.

9. Buds Buddy

Buds Buddy Registered+

The plants in the clear rubbermaids both turned out to be males...LOL. Trashed them a few weeks ago. I wont judge Females by purpling stems....that's for sure. It was a Mag. deficiency. Started using Cali-Magic & problem was solved. However, my 1 female does have redish / purple stems also & she is healthy. Only 1 plant turned out to be female out of 4. She has been in flower exactly 4 weeks now & is looking great. Funny how you don't see much change looking at them every day. But I take pics every 7 days & when I compare the pics I can see a Big Difference each week. Just bought a 4' x 8' x 7' Tent & buying LED lighting for it to see how that works compared to MH / HPS. Pure Hell to keep a tent at 75 degrees with those lights. Fans, venting out window, etc. & still in the low 80's when lights are on. Oh well, eventually I'll find what works best for me.

10. WashougalWonder

WashougalWonder Registered+

Why do I bother Emilya?

11. Buds Buddy

Buds Buddy Registered+

??? Emilya ??? Not sure what that means. Anyways, I do realize You, Emilya & several others are very adept at growing. I am not saying purpling isn't a trait of Female plants. I'm saying in my particular case the plants were Male & that Cali-Magic cleared the purpling up. My Female does have reddish / purple stems so what your saying makes since (especially if you used feminized seeds & knew all your plants would be female). But using bagged seeds you don't know what sex it is & I don't think judging sex by purpling stems would be a good indicator in this case because it could be a deficiency. Maybe you're able to tell exactly what is happening....but I'm not that experienced.
    The yellowing tips could very well have been N burn as I used Miracle Grow Soil & Miracle Grow Tomato & Miracle Grow Orchid Food for about the 1st 6 - 7 weeks not knowing any better. Learned my lesson there ! I don't think I was watering correctly at the time either. Switched to all General Hydroponics Nutes since then & started watering correctly & what do you know....Ta Da !!!
    Nice Healthy Plants. I take no credit for the survival of this plant as it would have died without the advice of several knowledgeable growers on this site. I thank them all !!!
    Anyway, please don't take offense to my prior post....I should have been more detailed in my comment. Sorry.

• Like Like x 1