Aquaponics...Come on whats the catch?

Discussion in 'Advanced Techniques' started by Vexor1717, Jun 11, 2015.

1. surejam123

surejam123 Registered+

OK but explain synthetic please or is it chemical ?

2. emilya

emilya Future Dispensary Owner

the definition of chemical according to webster is: a substance (such as an element or compound) that is made by a chemical process
    the definition of synthetic from the same source is: made by combining different substances : not natural

In an organic garden, we do not feed our plants. We feed the microlife, and they feed on the elements within the soil, and they break down the nitrogen and potassium and whatnot that the plant needs, into a form that the plants can uptake. The microbeasties carry the nutrients to the roots, and the roots reward the microherd with things that they need. It is a symbiotic relationship, a feeding circle of life if you will. All we supply in an organic grow are water and nutrients for the microlife... and they feed the plant.

Or, you can grow chemically, or synthetically, where you are directly supplying the plants with the nutrients they need, nutrients that are temporarily locked up in salt bonds that break apart when put into a solution at the proper pH. No microbeasties are involved in this exchange... the nutrients are chemically produced to be in the form that the plant can uptake... you put it in the rez and the roots suck it up.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. surejam123

surejam123 Registered+

So temps in the 50's range is a good thing and the roots are not damaged by that cold of water ? In all my reading up on this subject , I find different info Like this ROOT ZONE TEMPERATURE: 67-68F. If you’re growing in basements or cement slabs, don’t put pots directly on the floor, as this can cool the root zone too much, especially in colder months.
    WATER/NUTRIENT SOLUTION TEMPERATURE: 66-68F. Warmer than ideal temperatures in nutrients solutions contributes to growth of harmful organisms in hydroponics reservoirs or can slow root function and deter root growth.
    You may have to add a hydroponics chiller to cool nutrients water if your grow room is too hot.
    In rare cases, you may have to add something like an aquarium heater if your nutrients water is too cold, because((( cold root zones harm roots and slow growth.)))

4. surejam123

surejam123 Registered+

Still a learning process even at my old age .. So you see ! You can teach an old dog new trix ( = - P )

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  5. emilya

my basement isnt so bad, because it is deep down into the ground... but my garage floor slab is a different matter. In winter months that slab is connected to the outside, and it can easily get down into the 20's. Set a plant down on that, and I am certain you could kill it. Cold winter water right out of that tap can do the same thing... it can be quite a bit colder than that range you cited.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. surejam123

surejam123 Registered+

So temps in the 50's range is a good thing and the roots are not damaged by that cold of water ?

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. emilya

seems to work for GA... and I know that one of the reasons my DIY op failed was I couldn't keep it cool enough.

• Like Like x 1
  8. surejam123

surejam123 Registered+

Heres an idea How about a lined concrete block reservoir like one of these might be just the ticket and could be insulated for winter and a cover on top would help keep the algea from growing ???

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  9. surejam123

surejam123 Registered+

Not if your doing a living soil that you can recycle year after year ! I will be recycling my soil by composting and tilling in the plants that i grow this year . The only amendments for next year is another two 5 gallon buckets of home grown worms and their castings . I don't know exactly how much that will cost me ... Have you seen my thread ? How to turn a livestock feed bunk into a welf watering darden container . Check it out and you will know what i mean ... Good luck on the fog method though ... Peace !

• Like Like x 1
  10. surejam123

surejam123 Registered+

concrete, painted white always stas cool even in the hot sun . If there is concrete on the bottom it will use thermal conduction from the ground under it that is cool because the sun never hits that area ..

11. Dumme

Dumme Registered+

Why not goldfish?

12. Dumme

Dumme Registered+

Lost 9 fish do to neglecting to put down the lid on the new tank. :( I really didn't think that would jump that high, but I left the door open a bit, and it's bug season. That with the combination of also leaving the lights on over the new tank.

13. MadSciencetist3.0

MadSciencetist3.0 Registered

the catch is: if the power goes out they die quick. Stable power grid only, backup recommended.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Dumme

Dumme Registered+

Ive lost power for about 36 hours. Humidity stays high enough in the Aero chambers where they wilt, but not die.

15. 710Dabmaster710

710Dabmaster710 Registered