Backyard Potted Tahoe OG Kush Grow

Discussion in 'Outdoor Growing' started by 90skid, May 28, 2017.

1. 90skid

90skid Registered

First time grower. Got some seeds from a buddy and figured I'd give it a shot. Then spent an entire week reading as much literature and watching as many videos on growing as I could. Then I came across this forum. So I decided to document my grow from start to finish, fail or succeed, in the hopes of helping any future noobs out.

I have zero experience with this. Which is why I decided to go the cheapest route, using good old nature and genetics (which I guess would be nature too, right?) as the driving force behind the grow. Aside from my desire to get a decent yield, of course! I'm going to list my plans and list supplies I picked up for the grow.

The main focus of this grow is; simplicity. I don't know what the hell I'm doing, and have only spent a week solid reading through countless grow-logs, blogs, v-logs, seedbank articles, forums, etc etc etc to get probably just the bare minimum in terms of academic knowledge behind growing this plant. The information was surprisingly easy to find considering the federal legal standing and taboo of this plant, and if you're somewhat sharp on detail like I am, patterns, terminology and vocabulary quickly become apparent and you'll know what to search for. This forum helped immensely.

So, for the grow. It's going to be:
    • Outdoors
    • In Pots
    • Relatively Inexpensive
    • Simple
    I got the seeds as a gift, and aside from water (more on that later), soil and nutrients and pots, I'm not spending a damn thing. And the stuff I got wasn't too expensive either. Total cost for a decent amount of soil mix to start with was $33.12, all from Lowe's Hardware (in the US).

I haven't bought the pots yet but I figure they'll be cheap as well or I can even find some used ones somewhere. Whatever I find really. But ideally, I'll go from water bottles to start the sprouts in and then into 1/2 gallon pots. And from then on, a good tip I picked up is basically 1 gallon per foot of plant. So 1 foot tall, 1 gallon pot. Makes sense.

Last edited: May 28, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  2. 90skid

90skid Registered

I guess I can't edit my own threads after 15 minutes :/

Germinating:

I germinated the seeds by placing them in a cup of water for 24hrs. That was all they needed to all successfully crack, and some were even already showing small taproots coming out. I placed paper towels in a glass baking dish and poured the water with the seeds in it out onto the towels, getting them nice and wet. Once they were sufficiently soaked, I held them up to drain off excess water, and placed the seeds out evenly onto it, then folded the towel over onto them. After another 24hrs, I had these:

They all had healthy taproots and were ready for the soil. Using my half-water bottles they all got planted with zero issues. I've read up on taproot placement and it seems to me that it really comes down to a personal preference. I placed some root down and some root up, and by now ( a day later ), they all look like the roots are growing down, so I don't think it really matters which way you put them in.

I didn't put too much water in them. I just squeezed the water out of the towel they were in onto them, and the soil is nice and loose. However, after sitting over night and a full day in a well lit room next to a window, I noticed the soil looked a bit dry on top and it seemed a bit compacted. So I poked at it a little with a pen, just to loosen it up slightly. Nothing major though. The bottles do have irrigation holes at the bottom, and when water is poured in the tray they're in, it gets soaked up fairly quickly. So until I find the bottles totally dry, I'm going to wait to add water. This is a bit of a grey area for me as I'm still learning. Some advice for this period of plant life would be appreciated.

3. Weezard

Weezard Registered+

Here's a tip. Leave some room at the top to water.
    And put dry dirt in one of those and weigh it.
    Then water to run-off and weigh it again.
    Write it down.
    You then will know when, and exactly how much water.

Aloha,
    Weeze

4. 90skid

90skid Registered

Damn that's a good idea, wish I had thought about that before planting them. I suppose I could make up a mock cup with no seed and do it. I just came and checked the plants and two of them are sprouting, pushing the soil off and standing up. I ended up putting them under a regular 100watt CFL bulb (those spiral ones) about 6inches above, and left a fan on in the room. They'll do 18 hours on light and 6 off, just until they're big enough to use the sun. The soil still seems nice and moist, but not soaked, so I think they're doing just fine. I guess I'll wait to water until I see the soil is dry or close to it? The cups are see-through so I can clearly see all the soil is still moist. Actually some condensation at the very bottom, on the inside. But not much.

5. 90skid

90skid Registered

6. 90skid

90skid Registered

Day four:

After some consideration I decided to move my light much closer to my seedlings, because it turns out that it's not that hot a bulb. So the plants needed a little more warmth and light, and sure enough I saw much more production after doing so. Haven't needed to water at all, the soil is still nice and moist but not swamped. I guess that peat moss is doing it's trick? I'm keeping a close eye on it to see if it gets dry at all, and will water accordingly.

As for light schedule, I'm switching from 18/6 over to 15/9 now. Using this daylight calculator page, I was able to determine how much light my area is getting at this time of year, so I want to match the photoperiod for the plants. That way when they're all showing leaves, I can throw them right outside without missing any light or dark. I have a perfect spot outside on top of a patio that gets 100% sunlight all day with zero shadow and is totally dark at night. Should be perfect. It's raised up, as well, so hopefully no slugs!

Pictures:

7. Wagonweed

Wagonweed Registered+

Pick that seed shell and case off the seedling. It looks like it should just pop off. Be gentle, if it doesn't come right off wait a day but you want it off so the leave can open.

8. 90skid

90skid Registered

Day 5

I actually did need to give a hand to some of the sprouts with removing the seed casings, but still have one that's being very stubborn. It's on there pretty good and I don't want to damage the plant. I'm just going to wait for now, at least it'll make the leaves a little stronger.

Otherwise I'd say they're all looking pretty good.

*UPDATE* That seed casing literally just fell off as I was typing this. So now they're all off!

9. 90skid

90skid Registered

Day 9

So I'm down to 3 plants. Gave one to a friend, and the one that had the seed casing stuck on it didn't survive. It just keeled over and gave up. And it seems as though I have a bug problem, and some odd color on one plant.

Here's a pic of the bug I found taking a nap on one of the leaves:

And here's a pic of the odd colors showing up on one of the other plants:

All three:

I'm not sure what that bug is. It had clear wings and when I blew it off the leaf, it dove into the soil and was gone. Fungus gnat? And I'm also clueless as to what's making the other plant get those spots on it's leaves. Should I get these girls into new soil and start putting them outside during the day? It's pretty damn hot here right now, around 85-90º during the day. Dry, though.