PAX2 Vaporizer

Best way to start seeds off?

Discussion in 'Basic Growing' started by KL4D4, Jun 25, 2006.

1. KL4D4

KL4D4 Registered+

I've been told too many ways to go about this.

Which way do most people go about this? EIther put them in the paper towel, wet it and fold the top over put them in a plastic bag, seal it and place in a sunny window, or The same setup only in the dark with heat

2. OmegaVermelho

OmegaVermelho Registered+

Good question KL4D4, i´ve tried the first method and it worked fine, i´m trying the second method now but insted of using a plastic bag i´m using a tupperware box...

1st were Grapefruit 10 seeds - all germinated 8 of them were females

2nd Haze 19 x Skunk 10 seeds - i only have 4 in the tupperware box i´ll let u know in a day or two the outcome

3. hempsmoker25

hempsmoker25 Registered+

i just put mine in a paper towel, wet it, and stick it in a dark place wrapped up in a towel to keep it waarm.

4. stinkyattic

stinkyattic CultiModerVatorAtor

I put mine in a small glass vial with a few drops of SensiSoak, then lay the vial on its side so the seeds are wet but not covered. I keep it in dim light and 75-80 degrees until they pop.

The jury is still out on whether SensiSoak gives all females. I was using plain water until a few weeks ago. The germination rate is still very good though.

5. Garden Knowm

Garden Knowm Registered+

I plant all seeds directly into soaked rockwool cubes... including, sun flower seed, Redwood trees, tomato plants, watermelon etc....

iloveyou

6. iStayblunted

iStayblunted Registered

how many days do you keep it in the paper towel?

7. stinkyattic

Ha ha! I'd love to see a redwood tree growing in hydro. Like, a swimming pool for a reservoir!:D

8. KL4D4

KL4D4 Registered+

Well I'm pretty sure the awnser to that is when they sprout to the point when you can then plant them.

I made this topic last night I randomly had a beaner in a bag, and I hadn't looked at until about 5 mins ago and I saw it turned into a little sperm :D I was about to try it in the sunlight because I wasn't too sure about the darkness one, I put distilled water after I went out today after it stormed all day and collected rain water.
    I'm excited because this will be the first plant I'll be trying to grow myself, I just hope it dosen't turn out to be male, but if it does I'll have my foot in the door at least.

9. iStayblunted

iStayblunted Registered

thank you
    &
    yea for out door growers around here good luck:thumbsup: because the weather sucks. and good luck with your plant

10. krustythfreakinclown

krustythfreakinclown Registered+

I use peat pellets which you can get at any gardening store, for 12 cents apiece. If you go this route, make sure you get enough to carry you through winter as well, since gardening stores won't have them for sale when the growing season ends.

In using peat pellets, you wet them, the expand, you sow the seed and put the peat pellet in a sealed container to maintain humidity in a dark place.

When the seed sprouts, put it under light to get it growing.

This process takes 1-5 days before you see a seedling sprout.

Good luck!

11. OmegaVermelho

OmegaVermelho Registered+

I put mines on a destiled water soked papper towel inside a Tupperware box on friday 2pm, and they sprouted sunday at 5pm.:D :D They are now living at a new home :stoned: :stoned:

12. Opie Yutts

Opie Yutts Registered+

Keep them warm and moist and dark. It doesn't matter how. I find 5 or so layers of paper towels on top and bottom very convenient.

13. Garden Knowm

Garden Knowm Registered+

LOL

well, I actually just start the seeds in rockwool and then transfer to soil... after about 60 days.. the seeds take about 20+ days just to germinate..

BUT... I have grown watermelon, cucumber, tomato and much more hydro..

IN the next couple months I think I will try a banana tree.. I have seen a handful of very succesful hydro banana trees.

NOW is LOVE

14. stinkyattic

15. stinkyattic

If you have pics of hydro vine plants, could you post? I'm curious to see how you support them, if at all.

16. Opie Yutts

Opie Yutts Registered+

I want to try growing some weird stuff in hydro. Hey, I really like mango. Has anyone heard of this happening?

17. deftdrummer

deftdrummer Registered+

I use the bowl and paper towel method. You take 1 paper towel (little or no print or dye) and fold it in half. Put your seeds near where the crease is and then lay it on a regular plate. Then using pure water ie: bottled or filtered & boiled water you barely moisten the paper towel. The paper towel should be damp enough to be damp but moist enough to drip if you squeezed it into a wad. Finally, take a third paper towel moisten it also and place over the folded paper towel. This layer is to keep moisture in and keep good supply of water to the lower towel. Finally take a bowl and place it upside down over the paper towels to keep light out. Place in a warm area such as a window sill or in a 70F room and you will see sprouts in less than 2 days.

18. phytokind

phytokind Registered+

A soil of 50% perlite, 50% peat worked well for me, just stick them in there and wait a few days.

19. stinkyattic

Wow, this is an old thread that just got bumped...

I have to change my previous comments; namely, that SensaSoak has turned out to be utter garbage, and the peat pellets have that shitty wrapping on them that stunts growth, plus they hold way too much water.

It's all about nice, light soil.

20. Abattoir Dream

Abattoir Dream Registered+

i just put them in half inch of wet soil, cover with cling film and put on a heatmat, easy as 123, or abc, depending on how well you can read and count