Can you tell sex from pre-flower?

Discussion in 'Outdoor Growing' started by lynnslaw84, Aug 7, 2016.

1. lynnslaw84

lynnslaw84 Registered+

Hi!
    I am not experienced enough to tell the sex yet, I'm not even sure its possible at this stage but wanted to share some photos.

outdoor in a 10gallon pot just grown with sun & water. about 6 weeks so far.

i dont see any male sacks/balls so thats a good sign but im not sure if its just too early, or if shes a lady like i hope!

thanks in advance for any help!

Attached Files:

2. Dutch Pimp

Dutch Pimp Up in Smoke

That last pic looks female. Need to be closer or zoomable.:twocents:

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. lynnslaw84

lynnslaw84 Registered+

let me know if this helps?

20160807_184214.jpg

4. Dutch Pimp

Dutch Pimp Up in Smoke

I don't see anything in that area. I lost track of all my male/female example pics.

5. lynnslaw84

lynnslaw84 Registered+

Yeah, me neither. Maybe its still too early? Been growing outside (potted) for about 6 or so weeks now. Almost 2 ft tall.

6. lynnslaw84

lynnslaw84 Registered+

better pics!! i *think* i see little tiny pre flowers without white hairs, but hoping someone can confirm for me!
    20160808_161204-V2.jpg 20160808_161258-V2.jpg 20160808_161318-V2.jpg

7. EvilCartman

EvilCartman Registered+

I'd lean toward calling it fem, but I don't see any pistils yet...
    You should be able to tell for certain very soon, a matter of a couple days ought'a do it.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 2
  8. lynnslaw84

lynnslaw84 Registered+

Thanks so much! I'll keep an eye on her over the next few days for the pistils!

9. lynnslaw84

lynnslaw84 Registered+

im clearly impatient as i keep looking at her every day lol I dont know if i see much of a change. We had a hugely hot day yesterday and rain (finally!) last night so she looks very happy today! she definitely prefers rain to hose water thats for sure! 20160810_101406.jpg 20160810_101414.jpg 20160810_101636.jpg

10. DirtyBlueGene

DirtyBlueGene Registered+

Nothing to indicate sex yet, sorry. Watch around those stipules, just a matter of time. More rain is coming soon. :thumbsup:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. lynnslaw84

lynnslaw84 Registered+

Thanks for the reply. Yay for rain. Looks like its in the forecast this weekend. It's funny, the rain water just totally perks up all kinds of plants. Nothing quite compares to how happy they look after :)

12. Barbara Martin

Barbara Martin Registered+

Hi Guys

I tried some information about this. May be this will help full for you @ lynnslaw84
    It's easy way to sex determination.

You can check by calyx development.

Pre-flowering happens at the node locales. Towards the end of vegetative development, you have to check your plant node for and this is called calyx development

Initially, you should examine the node area of the plants where you can see branches met the stem. There you are looking a small pod shaped organs. If there is no, then you should go outwards along each branch check each node area till you reach to the top. If you don’t find anything about calyx process so your flower is not going for pre flowering stage. So that you cannot determine sex of your plant pre mature initially. You have to wait some days.

Above process is initially steps after this you have go for following process also for sex determination of your plants:

Random process:

On the off chance that you've been developing the same strain and every one of the seeds were begun in the meantime, then you may see that a few plants are taller than others: the littler plants have a tendency to be female and the taller ones have a tendency to be male

If that the calyx is raised on a little, short stem then it's presumably a male. On the other that the calyx isn't raised on a little short stem, then it's likely a female.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. lynnslaw84

lynnslaw84 Registered+

Adding some recent pics. We have had alot of rain lately which is awesome but not a whole ton of sun. Not sure I see much growth of the pre flower areas but I'm not sure so posting here! Shes grown taller and filled out alot this past week! 20160816_111310.jpg 20160816_111308.jpg 20160816_111240.jpg

14. Dutch Pimp

Dutch Pimp Up in Smoke

I still don't see anything definitive. Some of the key places are blurry or blocked by leaves.

15. lynnslaw84

lynnslaw84 Registered+

Okay, clearly im a newbie and not taking the right photos lol Where should I be looking exactly? I'll happily post more pics!

16. Shovelhandle

Shovelhandle Registered+

photos are in the right place, the plant is still leafing out. Keep looking, it will happen.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. lynnslaw84

lynnslaw84 Registered+

thank you!! im just happy she looks happy and healthy and is growing up and outwards. fingers crossed she ends up a she :)

18. lynnslaw84

lynnslaw84 Registered+

Okay... so I THINK I see tiny pistils forming. Am I nuts and just super wishfully thinking or do you see it too? 20160821_133957.jpg 20160821_134046.jpg 20160821_134048.jpg

19. lynnslaw84

lynnslaw84 Registered+

I posted a few new pics below from today. Would love if you had a sec to peek and let me know if I'm crazy or if I'm seeing tiny pistils? #wishfulthinking

20. Dutch Pimp

Dutch Pimp Up in Smoke

Looks promising! Female left/male right

:thumbsupold: 35769IC_1-27-8_PreFlowers.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1