Can you tell sex from pre-flower?

Discussion in 'Outdoor Growing' started by lynnslaw84, Aug 7, 2016.

1. lynnslaw84

lynnslaw84 Registered+

More and more leaves are starting to yellow at the bottom. I'm worried! Does she need something?

2. Weezard

Weezard Registered+

That is normal.
    Just went back to look ath the pics.
    Your new growth looks fine. I see no deficiencies or signs of pest stress.
    A low dose of low nitrogen fertilizer would pop more pistils perhaps.
    But she looks good for her sprint to harvest.

Suggest that you browse the media of other growers.
    You will see a lot of yellowed and dropped fans.
    Some strands lose all their fans.
    Like Stinkyattic said they can "look" a li'l fugly at the finish.
    I like dem kine. Less trimming time. :D

Post a close-up of the terminal bud and we'll take a closer look.

Aloha,
    Weeze

3. lynnslaw84

lynnslaw84 Registered+

Thanks for the quick reply! I've read a bunch on this forum and have seen photos with yellow and sometime it seems like its a big issue with nitrogen or cal-mag and other times people say not to worry. So I wasnt sure what we should do. For a low nitro fert, any recommendations on brand? Newbie alert: what is the terminal bud?

4. Weezard

Weezard Registered+

It's the new growth at the very top.
    That tells us what the present condition is.
    The Fan leaf shows us the past.

5. lynnslaw84

lynnslaw84 Registered+

Great! Just snapped a few pics and posting now. Give me 5 mins!

6. Weezard

Weezard Registered+

I like Captain Jack's dry nutes.
    However, since I switched to FFOF I seldom need any ferts.
    I break out a very low dose if, and only if, they "ask" for something.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. lynnslaw84

lynnslaw84 Registered+

okay, i hope these are what you were hoping to see. let me know! the one is of the leaf that is yellowing (eventually turns brown, gets crisp and falls off. happened to one other earlier this week) 20160901_162326.jpg 20160901_162351.jpg 20160901_162421.jpg

8. Weezard

Weezard Registered+

We will need a grower with mo' betta eyes for this.

They are excellent photos and I can blow them up another 400% but until my eye surgery I'm not the goto guy for this.
    The color of the terminal bud does look a tad pale so, I'd mix up a 1/2 strength batch of ferts for the next watering.

Keep in mind that you will get plenty of bad advice from well meaning people.
    And I'm no expert at anything, so it's important that you read, a lot.
    Makes it possible to separate the wheat from the chaff, yah?

Hey guys with eyes. Can ya he'p this newbie please?

Aloha,
    Weeze

• Like Like x 1
  9. lynnslaw84

lynnslaw84 Registered+

I appreciate you looking! Even with not great eyes, I trust your experienced thoughts. (hope your surgery goes well!) I just searched the captain jacks brand and appears to be a few different types of dry. Would I want the blossom booster or all purpose? We have to water quite frequently here because we have been in a bit of a drought (luckily its rained the last couple of days a bit, we water when she looks sad or her pot feels really dry/light) As soon as we water she perks right back up. I suspect I'll need to water again in a day or two and would love to pick up the ferts to add in! Thanks again, really do appreciate your opinion.

10. Dutch Pimp

Dutch Pimp Up in Smoke

bloom booster, something in the neighborhood of 15-30-15 (NPK):leafbanner:

• Like Like x 2
  11. DirtyBlueGene

DirtyBlueGene Registered+

I'd guess that she needs some nutes, potassium in particular. Being in a pot outdoors, she may have used up what was available in the soil and when it rains, it pours, and can flush the pot. ;)

I haven't used that brand of nutes so can't comment on that.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. theweedsneeds

theweedsneeds Registered+

I got this MAXSEA stuff that seems to be doing the job real good it's 3-20-20

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  13. lynnslaw84

lynnslaw84 Registered+

WOW so much great advice! Thanks everyone- really really appreciate it! I'm going to see what I can find based on your recommendations and get some into this girl stat! I'll start with a half strength dose and go from there! Thanks again!!! This community is the best!

• Like Like x 1
  14. lynnslaw84

lynnslaw84 Registered+

Some stems at the bottom look to be turning red (maybe 4 of them) so I think she'll respond well to being fed.

We dont have a grow store locally and all the garden centres etc are closed for the season since its close to fall. I will probably end up getting Miracle Grow bloom booster 15-30-15 which I read alot of last night. Some people hate on it hard, others say its the same as any other fert. I'll start with half strength dose and go from there. I'll make sure to flush her with just water a few weeks before harvest.

Should I just be adding ferts to her water once a week during flowering?

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. lynnslaw84

lynnslaw84 Registered+

she just received her first dose. i guess it's just a waiting game now to see if she improves over the next few days? and just do this once a week up until a few weeks prior to harvest (then just use regular water or hopefully rain! lol)

16. lynnslaw84

lynnslaw84 Registered+

hey! so my lady is still looking great, still has yellowing of lower leaves and some red stems, I assume that will not just go away after one dose of fert? I was planning on giving her another dose each week probably for the rest of the grow? Is it at all possible she needs to move to a larger pot or is that a no-no at this stage? (ive read both yes and no on that) shes in a 7 gallon pot (largest i had) Thanks and happy labour day!

17. DirtyBlueGene

I wouldn't transplant at this stage.. You should alternate with ferts and water. How's she doing, stinking up the yard yet? :D

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Dutch Pimp

Dutch Pimp Up in Smoke

7 gal. is plenty big. Roots don't grow much in later flowering.

• Like Like x 1
  19. lynnslaw84

lynnslaw84 Registered+

Okay thanks, from what I read I thought the 7gal should be okay. I actually have been alternating but was concerned with fert's more than a couple times a week. She looks strong and beautiful and growing pretty flowers :) Dont smell too much unless I get up in there for a sniff lol

I havent seen any reduction in red stems or yellowing of the few bottom leaves yet though but i guess since shes looking well otherwise i wont worry too much.

Pic from today below (this is the very top flower)

green.jpg

20. DirtyBlueGene

She looks good, more pistil than bud but that will come soon. When proper buds form she will smell, especially on warm still nights. Should a neighbour make any comment about the smell, just tell 'em you have a skunk living under your deck or shed. ;):D

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1