Can you tell sex from pre-flower?

Discussion in 'Outdoor Growing' started by lynnslaw84, Aug 7, 2016.

1. lynnslaw84

lynnslaw84 Registered+

Thanks! Yeah I'm hoping bud comes soon. The weather has been so weird which I am sure affects her. 45 c humidity today, nights dip down into the teens. we had a couple cold days last week. Shes probably confused hahah but shes got a while still where she can keep on growing til frost comes, and even then she can hang out in the warm garage if needed :)

• Like Like x 1
  2. DirtyBlueGene

DirtyBlueGene Registered+

Good to have a back-up plan, for sure. Env. Canada says we will have a warmer than average Sept., Oct., and Nov. I hope so. :cool:

3. lynnslaw84

lynnslaw84 Registered+

Me too! Curious your thoughts on removing/thinning fan leaves. Ive read lots of stuff in support of and against. I would hate to hurt the plant removing them but it seems they are shading alot of the flowering area- im just not sure if thats a real issue or not. Do the flowers need the sun or do the fans take the energy from the sun and give it to the plant?

4. lynnslaw84

lynnslaw84 Registered+

when i checked on her this just now, after a TON of rain yesterday and lots of sun this morn already- something cool is happening. It looks like the leaves that surround the flower are sort of leaning down and the flower is popping out more. It looks like they might be giving some space for buds to start to form! :D :D

Shes got less redness and yellowing overall. Been alternating ferts and water as suggested!!

• Like Like x 2
  5. DirtyBlueGene

I'm not really keen on removing leaves. Indoors, especially under a screen, there is a genuine benefit as those lower leaves receive very little light anyway, but those are stationary plants under a stationary light. Outdoor plants have the wind moving the branches, allowing the sunlight through intermittently and as we go through the day the sunlight comes in at different angles. I suggest you look at your plant at various times throughout the day to determine whether some bud sites are truly lacking in exposure and if so, use the snips sparingly. :D

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. lynnslaw84

lynnslaw84 Registered+

A few updated photos. No new yellowing and the stems that were red are much less red now. We have had a good chunk of rain recently and some really cool temps in the evenings. She looks really healthy I think! Flowers growing more and more every day.

I notice that all the flower areas are bright neon green, and a few pistils here and there have brown tips. All normal? 20160914_093839.jpg 20160914_093846.jpg 20160914_093911.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  7. DirtyBlueGene

The new growth is pretty bright, perhaps she has had too much water recently. try letting her dry out a bit and watch for improvement. Watch for the lil' bastard that has been chewing the leaves, too. :D

8. lynnslaw84

lynnslaw84 Registered+

yeah we got dumped on by rain the last few days overnight. if it does that again ill move her to a covered spot. ill let her dry out now for a bit but she sorta droops or looks sad when shes dry, but maybe thats okay in this case for a day or so?

UGH those hoppers are the bane of my existence. We are on hopper watch to kill them. SO MANY. lol

• Like Like x 1
  9. DirtyBlueGene

Yep, it's ok if she droops a bit, she'll bounce right back. Good luck with the hoppers, so many around this year.

10. lynnslaw84

lynnslaw84 Registered+

So many hoppers. We moved her a bit and they seem to be leaving her alone now for the most part. I havent watered or given ferts in a little bit because we got tons of rain and I thought it would just flush the ferts out anyways. I will do that again in a day or so when she's dried out.

Shes much less neon green now. Looks healthy i think! All the way from the terminal bud down that stock looks like its coming together to maybe eventually form one big nug. I hope anyways lol

homegirl.jpg

11. lynnslaw84

lynnslaw84 Registered+

Here's a few pics from just today. is it normal that all of the little tiny leaves on the main stock sort of wrap around the flowers?

PS thanks again to everyone for their help and guidance. couldn't have got this far without you!

home1.jpg home2.jpg

12. DirtyBlueGene

Yes, that's the sugar leaf. She's starting to look real nice. :thumbsup:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. lynnslaw84

lynnslaw84 Registered+

thank you!! my pride and joy lol

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. DirtyBlueGene

Soon all those pistils, calyxes and sugar leaves will join together to form some nice fat colas. Always fun to watch. :D

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. lynnslaw84

lynnslaw84 Registered+

VERY fun to watch. I can't wait.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. lynnslaw84

lynnslaw84 Registered+

Hey! Another week has passed and I wanted to share some pics from today :)

Is there any way to tell what strain this is (or just a general guess) I assume not but wanted to ask!

20160925_145828.jpg 20160925_145814.jpg 20160925_145748.jpg

17. DirtyBlueGene

I don't think anyone can guess the strain from a pic. I would guess that it is a hybrid.

I can say for certain that it looks lovely. Gotta be kicking up a stink by now too. :D

• Like Like x 1
  18. lynnslaw84

lynnslaw84 Registered+

thanks! i think shes pretty lovely as well. i thought she would smell more by now but not unless you get up close. our temps took a huge dip the first day of fall and have stayed there ever since. been getting down to around 8 celsius overnight most nights) I dont know if that impacts anything but it seems to have made her more "beefy" looking (like shes fluffing up to withstand the coolness lol) and shes really deep green now. A thing of beauty!

• Like Like x 1
  19. Dutch Pimp

Dutch Pimp Up in Smoke

long thin leaves indicate a mostly Sativa plant

• Informative Informative x 1
  20. lynnslaw84

lynnslaw84 Registered+

So with our first frost predicted in about 2.5 weeks from now, I guess we'll just leave her outside until the frost comes and bring her into the garage over night? How long should we let her keep growing?

I read that when most of the pistils are amber, shes probably ready but do you have any other tips?

The plan is to do a "rough" trim when we chop her (remove fans and longer sugars that dont have crystal on them), hang her upside down to dry in the garage (or should we do that indoors since it will be cold out overnight at that point?) and let her dry for maybe 5 or 6 days before the final trim and trial. :)

• Agree Agree x 1