Can you tell sex from pre-flower?

Discussion in 'Outdoor Growing' started by lynnslaw84, Aug 7, 2016.

1. Dutch Pimp

Dutch Pimp Up in Smoke

Last edited: Sep 27, 2016
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. lynnslaw84

lynnslaw84 Registered+

3. Dutch Pimp

Dutch Pimp Up in Smoke

If you got a macro setting?...maybe... or a pocket micro-scope from Radio Shack is what I use. $15. (60-100 power)

4. lynnslaw84

lynnslaw84 Registered+

i will check if i do. i have a magnifying glass but i suspect ill need more magnification than 10Xs. I'll check out the pocket scope. Will anything bad happen to her if we keep bringing her in at nighttime when its frost/cold and putting her out during the day til the end of Oct? Unless it takes a brutal turn for the cold.

5. Dutch Pimp

Dutch Pimp Up in Smoke

Bring it in on cold nights...keep it in the total dark. (check for bugs)

30 power is about the minimum. Snip off a very small sample & put it on a white plate.

6. lynnslaw84

lynnslaw84 Registered+

okay sounds good. how cold is "cold" for a plant? we have gotten down to about 8 celcius as the coldest so far

7. Dutch Pimp

Dutch Pimp Up in Smoke

I don't know. Never grew outdoors....never learned the metric system :D

8. lynnslaw84

lynnslaw84 Registered+

okay well ill just keep going by how shes looking (which is great) and if i think its too cold, she will go into the garage for the night and then back out in the morn.

i think im going to try and let her go another 3 or 4 weeks max before we hang her to dry. thanks again for all of your help throughout this! cant wait to do a few plants next spring!

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. lynnslaw84

lynnslaw84 Registered+

20160927_150853.jpg 20160927_150912.jpg played around with some settings on my camera and this is about as close as I can get.

20160927_150853.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  10. Wagonweed

Wagonweed Registered+

My friends that grow outdoors say it depends on the strain but they can survive a night at 0c
    Frost is the killer. If it just dips below or to 0c for a night I'd think you will be okay.
    Not much you can do unless you grow inside.

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. DirtyBlueGene

DirtyBlueGene Registered+

Generally, you should be ok down to about 4°C most of the time. However, as Wagon weed mentioned, frost can kill, so watch for any frost advisories. They might survive 0° for a brief period (like an hour or two) but if exposed long enough probably game over. Play safe. ;)

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. lynnslaw84

lynnslaw84 Registered+

Wanted to share another pic from today. She's enjoying the sun and warm temps we are having this week, but its going to hit 1°C overnight next weekend so we'll bring her in overnight that weekend (it warms up after)

I think we are going to chop her in a few weeks (around Halloween) if the temps stay okay.

I ordered a jewelers loupe (50x) online which should arrive next week. We searched everywhere and no stores had them or pocket microscopes. All just online so will get a good close peek at her trichomes then.

homegirl2.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  13. lynnslaw84

lynnslaw84 Registered+

Okay so the loupe arrived today not as good as i had hoped lol I probably need to get the hang of it but I cant really tell if these are clear or cloudy. From what I have read i want to wait til she is mostly cloudy/milky/slightly amber.

Thoughts? I'm thinking shes still got 2-3 more weeks in her. I've read a bunch about harvest but any tips would be appreciated. Right now my plan is to remove all fans, chop her main stalk and let her hang upside down indoors for about 5-7 days before clipping.

20161007_125625.jpg 20161007_125641.jpg 20161007_125731.jpg 20161007_125751.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  14. Wagonweed

Wagonweed Registered+

I'd leave it for a couple weeks at least if you can. She doesn't look ripe yet, will put on more weight too.

15. lynnslaw84

lynnslaw84 Registered+

Temp looks good all October so our plan is to wait til around Halloween so she'll get a few more weeks!

• Like Like x 2
  16. lynnslaw84

lynnslaw84 Registered+

Here's a nice up close shot from today. Looks milky to me but no ambers yet. We have had 2 hard frosts in a row overnight (unexpectedly too) so we are lucky we brought her in the garage but I think a fan leaf or two may have been bitten.

homegirl.jpg

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. Dutch Pimp

Dutch Pimp Up in Smoke

Even when you bring it indoors...keep it warm & dark. :thumbsupold:

You're getting close now!...Good Luck (watch for bugs)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. DirtyBlueGene

Once your plant goes into the dark garage, it's pretty much off limits until daylight. Don't go driving the car in while the plant is in there, lol. ;)

• Informative Informative x 1
  19. lynnslaw84

lynnslaw84 Registered+

hahahah yeah its way too filled with our junk, no car will fit in there hahah

it actually probably gives the plant more purely dark light than where its been (it gets some light pollution from neighbours/street light. we put her in there around 9pm when its pitch black out and bring her out around 8am when its light out.

im getting really excited to harvest her in a couple of weeks!! she'll get a good rain tomorrow and sunday is looks like. we gave her last "blue juice" ferts last week but wont give anymore so shes clean when we harvest.

What a process this has been, so much learning, so much fun. Thanks for all the tips along the way to you and everyone in this thread! Takes a village to raise her! :D

• Like Like x 1
  20. DirtyBlueGene

I look forward to seeing her finish and wish you the best of luck the rest of the way. :doublethumbs:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1