Cannabis Oil - My dog has lymphoma

Discussion in 'CANNABIS.COM Lounge' started by Amber Moore, Feb 5, 2016.

1. Amber Moore

Amber Moore Registered+

I have an 80lb walker coon hound. Her name is Farley and she was recently diagnosed with lymphoma. My parents are thinking about getting chemo for her but we may not be able to get chemo due to funds. Either way I would like to start her on cannabis oil to at least ease the pain if not heal her. I have heard many things regarding cannabis oil and possibly being able to cure cancer. I need to know which strain would be the best, which process of making cannabis oil would be best, and dosage. I have heard that using indica strain and coconut oil is good. Also I would like to know if THC is the ingredient that we are looking for or is it more complex than that.

Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you -Amber

2. Weezard

Weezard Registered+

Greetings Amber, welcome to cdot. :)
    Have you read through this thread?
    http://boards.cannabis.com/threads/dogs-cancer.206902/

Please do so, then ask any remaining questions.

A dog's age is a major factor for treatment strategies.
    A Walker's lifespan is 10 - 13 years.
    RSO is effective for lymphoma but it can take quite a while.
    Might take a year or more.
    It is not a "miracle cure"
    If she has the time, let's get on with it. :)
    If not, let's make her comfortable.
    More details on the type of lymphoma would be helpful.

Aloha,
    Weezard

• Like Like x 2
  3. Amber Moore

Amber Moore Registered+

Weezard,

Thank you so much. I will read the thread and then ask any questions I still have. Thank you again so much. :)

-Amber

4. Amber Moore

Amber Moore Registered+

Weezard,

Thank you for the information. I do have some remaining questions however, I'm just really nervous about trying to research and do this on my own. Farley, she is 85 lbs and 6 1/2 years old, medium to big size dog and I don't believe she has any other health issues, other than being a little over-weight. She has lymphoma, all 5 pairs of lymph nodes (10 in all) have cancerous cells in them and I do not believe there are any tumors, but there is inflammation. My parents do have her on Prednisone to take the inflammation down. I told them I would prefer if she didn't have to take Prednisone due to the fact that it hurts her immune system more, we do know to taper off the medication. Do you know of any natural remedies that I could try to take the inflammation down if we take her off the Prednisone?

My parents also are starting Farley on chemo, I believe on Monday and I still would like to try Rick Simpson Oil to at least ease pain and pray for a miracle. I would like to make it myself or have someone else make it for me. Are there any other specifics you think I should know about before making it or having someone else make it as far as strains? Any I shouldn't use.

Do you know of any harm that could come from Chemo? Other than exposure to radiation? I am not a big fan of prescriptions and radiation, I would like to keep treatment as natural as possible.

Do you think rubbing oil on Farley would be beneficial too? I mean it couldn't hurt right.

--- I liked the story about your cat. Thought it was funny. I used to have a pygmy goat names Fred that would smoke with me.. he would stomp his hooves if I didn't share. He would put his nose up to the fence and would sneeze and shiver when he got a good hit lol

5. Weezard

Weezard Registered+

I really miss that cat.
    Our present wee beasties have no interest in cannabis.
    But they will mug you for chicken jerky.

Aloha,
    Weeze

6. Amber Moore

Amber Moore Registered+

I really miss that cat.
    Our present wee beasties have no interest in cannabis.
    But they will mug you for chicken jerky.
    Lol nice :)

Sorry about your cat passing.

Thank you again for everything. I will keep you updated.

-Amber

7. Weezard

Weezard Registered+

Mahalo.
    Been 25 years now but I still miss her.

And please document your treatment with as much detail as you can.
    We need all the information we can gather to figure out the mechanics of this.

Aloha,
    Weeze

• Like Like x 1
  8. Amber Moore

Amber Moore Registered+

Sorry it's been a while since I have responded, everything was a little crazy. My mom and I went to the vet on Tuesday 9th and spoke with her about Farley. We are not going with Chemo... Luckily for us she is also practices holistics and has studied Chinese medicine as well. We had decided to keep the treatment natural. We are going to integrate tiers of treatment into Farley's treatment and gauge how things go. The reason for working our way up in treatment is because we want to see if we can control the lymphoma and begin to kill off cancer cells and boost immunity will the lowest defense and see if it works, then keep adding treatments if the previous treatment is not working as well as hoped.

We have decided to take all the cleaning supplies out of the house and replace them with natural cleaners or use natural remedies. We have also started to put apple cider vinegar in Farley's water bowl. Apple cider vinegar has many benefits, but also I have heard that an average diet has a lot of acids in it, acids lower immune systems and make us (humans or animals) more susceptible to sickness and other cancers. Apple cider vinegar is alkaline and evens out the PH in Farley's body. My mom is also feeding Farley human food, such as meat, mushrooms (not medicinal, but medicinal we may try later.

This is the tier 1...

We are starting to give Farley a Chinese vitamin supplement (not sure of the name yet) that is supposed to ultimately boost her immune system, and also a Chinese immune booster (I am also not sure of the name). Along with better diet.

We are also doing a Turmeric mixture (1 tsp, twice a day): I asked the vet about Turmeric, a spice that I was researching, it boost immunity, is good for heart health, it detoxifies, is an antioxidant, and may kill cancer cell. Turmeric is best as natural as possible (as a root or from a health food store), the Turmeric in a shaker may not include enough of the important ingredient in Turmeric, curcumin. Turmeric the vet recommended highly, there is a Facebook ( I will have to get back to you about the name) page regarding Turmeric and how to mix it into a combo of Turmeric, black pepper, and coconut oil. Note: Peanut butter, not the best for dogs. Almond butter is much better, coconut oil, or safflower oil/butter made from sunflower seeds.)

Farley is not getting Chemo and we have decided to take all the cleaning supplies out of the house and replace them with natural cleaners or use natural remedies. We have also started to put a little apple cider vinegar in Farley's water bowl. Apple cider vinegar has many benefits, but also I have heard that an average diet has a lot of acids in it, acids lower immune systems and make us (humans or animals) more susceptible to sickness and other cancers. Apple cider vinegar is alkaline and evens out the PH in Farley's body. My mom is also feeding Farley human food, such as meat, mushrooms (not medicinal, but medicinal we may try later.

The following tiers will be interpreting the next Chinese medicine levels and may include medicinal mushrooms, as well as cannabis oil as the last defense (per vet). THC is the important ingredient in cannabis oil, hemp oil does not contain THC or not enough THC to do much for KILLING cancer cells (I don't remember :) ).

I would like advise though... If THC has been successful in killing cancer cells, why would we wait to see how things go?

I will try to get more info to you about the info I was not sure of...

Take care :) :thumbsup:

9. Amber Moore

Amber Moore Registered+

Sorry, I am not sure how that got attached... that's for school lol

10. weedmaps

weedmaps Administrator Staff Member

• Like Like x 1
  11. Weezard

Weezard Registered+

That is incorrect!
    Vinegar is strongly acidic!

And ingesting acidic, or alkaline foods has no effect on the immune system, or on the bodies PH
    A dog's stomach acids are much stronger than a humans, that's why they can eat just about anything.
    The acidity kills bacteria like salmonella.
    Alkaline food will only affect the stomach acidity, and only temporarily.
    Just long enough to risk food borne bacteria.
    So stop with the vinegar!

Why indeed! I certainly would not wait.

A change in diet is a good thing.
    But get your facts right or you may do more harm than good.
    And avoid most of the drivel getting posted and re-posted by people who have little to no knowledge.

There is no practical way to change the overall PH of a mammal, an no proof that it is effective for anything if you could.
    Dogs are omnivores, but they eat mostly meat.
    While they prefer raw meat, it may contain parasites so is somewhat risky unless it is first frozen, then thawed.

Do some reading about Lymphoma. Study the mechanics of it then do some serious thinking.
    The more actual facts you have, the better your thinking will be.

Aloha,
    Weeze

12. Amber Moore

Amber Moore Registered+

Thank you so much

• Like Like x 1
  13. Amber Moore

Amber Moore Registered+

Thank you Weez. I will research more and stop with the vinegar. I will keep you updated.

14. Amber Moore

Amber Moore Registered+

Since I last wrote we stopped the vinegar.

We are going to be getting oil from a dispensary. Any tips? Kinds? Or anything thing else we should take into account when purchasing cannabis oil. Again, I believe animals should have indica and does it have to be made with coconut oil or any specific oil?

• Like Like x 1
  15. skitmo69

skitmo69 Registered

my dog loves coconut oil ! ez to hide in food
    also good for digestion so double bonus
    i would go with something he/she mite eat . full extract mite be difficult to give to

16. Amber Moore

Amber Moore Registered+

Thank you skitmo.. i appreciate it.

17. Weezard

Weezard Registered+

Sorry I've been so quiet lately.
    Retinal surgery in my only working eye has trashed the lens.
    Reading and writing is difficult.
    I'll be back as soon as I can see again.

Aloha,
    Weeze

18. Amber Moore

Amber Moore Registered+

Weezard,

Sorry to hear about surgery. I hope you have a quick recovery.

Talk to you soon.

19. Amber Moore

Amber Moore Registered+

Hi Weeze,

It's I hope everything went well with your surgery. I finally will be getting some cannabis oil for my dog probably tomorrow. I just wanted to know your thoughts. We will start with a very small dose and work up.

I also heard of PET CBD have you heard of this and what are your thoughts?

Thank you so much

Amber

20. Weezard

Weezard Registered+

Still down.
    Should get a new lens near the end of June.
    Mahalo, and your plan looks good.
    I have no exp. with pet cbd, sorry.