CBD thoughts

Discussion in 'CANNABIS.COM Lounge' started by Pupp, May 6, 2018.

1. Pupp

Pupp Registered+

I noticed more and more seed banks are offering strains with noticeable levels of CBD. It's pretty amazing. I'd read someplace a while back that by the 1990's, CBD had all but but been bred out of marijuana. Mostly due to the underground trying to make ganja more potent for consumers wanting to get high.

I'm not exactly sure when someone realized CBD had medical uses without the psychoactive high. I muse that it was a pharmaceutical company. In any event, medical marijuana blew up on the media when the parent's of a little girl named Charlotte with Dravet Syndrome moved to Colorado looking for, and finding, a strain of cannabis that had high levels of CBD and nearly zero THC. -The strain was renamed Charlotte's Web and is about 20% CBD and <0.2% THC. The growers originally called the strain "Hippies Disappointment".

I got curious, and knew that CBD Crew Seeds had done a lot with CBD strains and one of the first to specialize in it. I looked up CBD Crew seeds, and they have been in it for a while. The owner created Catatonnic in 2009 while working with another seed bank named Resin Seeds.

I suppose those from CBD Crew could fill in a lot of blanks here on the history of CBD dominant cannabis strains.

But forwarding to 2018, and it looks like many people and seed banks are furiously trying to create new, often from scratch, cannabis strains with varying levels of CBD.

When I say from scratch, I mean crossing strains with new land race strains or a random hemp plant, rather than older CBD strains already on the market.

I think, at least with politicians, medical uses of cannabis will be a bigger driver for their vote than the recreational side of the equation.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Plumber07

Plumber07 Registered+

In a lot of ways we're still in the infancy of real medical marijuana. Just in the past two years I've seen so many more CBD products. I'm hip with hemp oil and have seen miracles of it's use. Maybe I should grow some hemp and extract. Put that on my to do list. But hell, I LIKE the effects of THC and all the rest is just gravy! Now let's grab a beer and pass that pipe!
    :S5:

• Like Like x 1
  3. Pupp

Pupp Registered+

Some politicians are pragmatic and will conclude supporting marijuana legislation is a way to garner votes, but as a group, in congress, I thing we're looking at a small number, and limited to those districts where the incumbent is having difficulties with their re-election prospects. That being said, that opens the window for pro-marijuana candidate, but even if they're running on a marijuana platform, they have to have a well thought out platform that addresses all the current issues of the election and the district. In other words, the candidates have to be able to win an election even if marijuana wasn't on their platform.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Plumber07

Plumber07 Registered+

The majority of the progress has been at the local and state level, as it should be. The Feds have no choice but to comply. It's just a mater of time until it becomes legal nationally. When that happens we'll start seeing a lot more real science on it's benefits. Looking forward to it. I'm also looking forward to the next Star Trek movie. Call me crazy. o_O

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Plumber07

Plumber07 Registered+

Okay, not a Trekie? I grew up on sify in the 60's. Kicked the cowboy motif at the time, but I'm still a cowboy in my heart. :doublethumbs:

6. TomSawyer2112

TomSawyer2112 Registered+

There’s a documentary on Netflix that actually confirms what you said about politicians and the tiny amount who support cannabis. I think it’s called the legend of 420 or something.

• Creative Creative x 1
  7. Pupp

Pupp Registered+

Sadly, I'm on satellite internet, so I haven't had Netflix since I moved from KY. The good news is that Spectrum just laid down a cable in this area. The bad news is that I still have about 15 months left on my contract. Apparently the feds finalized the details on rural broadband earlier this year. My neighborhood is in one of the shaded areas for having cable installed. Spectrum didn't let the ink dry before they started installing cable in the area.

• Like Like x 1
  8. TomSawyer2112

You can get Netflix on any internet connection that’s at least got high speed connection. I was watching it when I only had 3Gigabyte connection. Running 20 now.

9. TomSawyer2112

If you can game with a PS3-PS4 online, you can get Netflix on your console.

10. Pupp

Pupp Registered+

It's more about how much data I can use, and not an issue with speed. I have a data cap. I have no desire to stream dvd quality movies to a 4k 65" television. It's at best, barely tolerable to view an actual DVD on the television, after being upscaled around 16x.

Streaming dvd quality video off the internet doesn't allow the video to be upscaled.

In any event, considering a dvd is upscaled 16x, it's quite amazing how upscaling technology has improved since years ago when HD televisions first hit the market. A 16x upscale on the 4k tv is similar to the 4x upscale from dvd to an HD television from years ago. Certainly not ideal to watch DVD's on a large 4k television, but it's watchable in a pinch.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. TomSawyer2112

Oh. I understand.
    That Hughes net is always wanting me to switch over to them. But they have horrible data plans. I live out in the middle of nowhere so I have to use WiFi LOS internet. ( like that old company DFWAir) they have a cap on me too but it’s very liberal and if I go over, it’s just a few bucks more for a supplemental data package. Honestly, I would pay more if I could get 30 Gig speed connection. But theirs doesn’t go that fast. They already have to backhaul our main tower through the air Line of sight over 35 miles back to civilization where the Fiber optics sources are. My private tower is over 40 feet high. To clear the bluffs and trees. Anyway, if you’re at a buddy’s house, ask if you can watch it. It’s called the Legend of 420.