Choosing a strain to grow

Discussion in 'Marijuana Strains' started by BanjoMoon, Sep 9, 2016.

1. BanjoMoon

BanjoMoon Registered+

Cool :doublethumbs:, I'll make sure to check those out!

OK, I understand. Knowing this, I will probably only want to attempt Zamaldelica or Malawi once I can have a seriously tall grow space - and I thought 5 feet was tall!

Interesting, I'll have to give it a try at some point! Also it would be fascinating to know chemical differences between cob cure and jarring! I'll be sure to check out your posts to see if you ever do it. ;)

Thanks for all your help! It's great to get advice from an experienced grower, I really appreciate your help. :) Thanks again!:doublethumbs:

2. Pupp

Pupp Registered+

I'd recommend looking at Leafly.com and check out the various strains. Also, check out Herbie's Seeds, since they group their seeds by various attributes that might make it easier to narrow down your search.

Most seem happy to deal with Herbies Seeds and they have a pretty good track record for resolving issues with customers. Occasionally we get complaints about Herbies, but they're few and far between. Herbies has a pretty good track record of resolving issues. Herbie's is a forum sponsor.

3. BanjoMoon

BanjoMoon Registered+

I've been using Leafly for just looking up strains but it's really hard to easily look up strains based on the effects they give (besides like "motivate the mind" or "get energized")

I'll make sure to check them out, thank you!

4. Pupp

Pupp Registered+

One has to assume certain attributes for indica and sativa. Indica leans toward couch lock and sleepiness, "stony", and "body high". Sativa is more of an energetic head high, creativity, wakefulness, etc. By knowing the base attribute differences between Sativa and Indica, you can focus your search.

Also, with Leafly, generally the most popular strains will cover most of the attributes your looking for in one way or another. You can look at a list of all top strains, or filter by Indica, Sativa, or Hybrid. By filtering that way, you can kinda of browse the differences between highs of the three main types of marijuana.

As a general rule, anything 80% or more Sativa will be classified as a Sativa, 80% or more Indica will be classified as Indica, and the rest will be classified as a hybrid. One can look at the different ratios of hybrids to get an idea of what kind of combination high one would get.

70%/30% is a very common ration for hybrids, but there are strains that are 60%/40%, and 50%/50%, etc. But seems like the 70%/30% ratio strains are the most popular.

5. Shovelhandle

Shovelhandle Registered+

seedfinder.eu is my first source for strain info. Leafly has some good info too.

6. Pupp

Pupp Registered+

I use seedfinder.eu also, but I think Leafly.com is more centric to the United States/Canada. Although there is overlap with both, since many of the strains from major seed companies are listed on Leafly.com.

Seedfinder.eu is good if your really looking to dig into various strains. Leafly is lighter and more passive interface. I guess it's like the difference between slots and video poker, as far as Leafly vs Seedfinder.eu.
    If I'm just grazing for new strains, Leafly is far more usable in that respect. If I'm trying to determine the genetic history of a strain, then Seedfinder.eu is the way to go.

7. Shovelhandle

Shovelhandle Registered+

Yut, I don't know much about the strains and if I did, I forget. NOt to mention all the different breeders putting out the same named strain where the plants can be quite different from each other. So knowing the lineage as well as all the breeder and grow info is important to me.

8. redtails

redtails Registered+

Seedfinder is kind of a wiki page though so besides the genetic lineage I wouldn't trust much info blindly. Look at the page there on Sour Tangie. I uploaded a pic of mine and I didn't have to sign up or go through any verification, it's honor system.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Shovelhandle

Shovelhandle Registered+

I have blind trust in nothing. The lineage is likely to be ok. As far as yield and grow time, flavor and effect etc., I've never matched any online reviews or previews in those areas. Can be more or less, longer or shorter. Whatever....