Does Albuterol help prevent or clean tar build-up on lungs?

Discussion in 'Medicinal Cannabis and Health' started by Jesta, Jul 18, 2007.

1. Jesta

Jesta Banned

I've had an inhaler (Albuterol & Flovent) since I was much younger and have never really used it until now. I really can feel how it opens up my lungs whenever I use it. However I was wondering does Albuterol (or Flovent) help clean up tar that has built up on my lungs from smoking weed? I know it can be used for clearing mucas in the lungs for someone with bronchitis so maybe this could be true.

2. MrNiceGuy420

MrNiceGuy420 Registered+

did you know thc opens up your lungs...and the smoke mostly stays in your main bronchial tubes away from your aveoli, unlike tobacco smoke which goes deep in your lungs, and bunches them up...which makes it harder for your lungs to get rid of the tar, and not to mention it kills or harms your aveoli. i have not once had any decrease in my lungs productivity from smokeing weed, i can breath just as good as i could before i started smokeing weed, however...half a cigarette will make my lungs feel all shitty (i usually dont smoke tobacco). If your worried about your lungs id invest in a vaporizer...fuck pharmaceutical drugs.

sorry i didnt really answer your question

3. Jesta

Jesta Banned

Thanks for the response. I plan on buying a vaoporizer if I'm still smoking when I graduate.

4. surreys princess

surreys princess Registered+

no it does not...

it dilates the smooth muscle of the airway.....

5. Penngrove

Penngrove Registered+

We get people in our clinic that treat themselves. Look up Albuterol in the PDR or Google search it. I have given that drug to lots of patients. It is not without risk. I dont know you or your history but self treating with albuterol is not smart for what your trying to do.
    If you have a doc or a clinic, and if they can take a listen, they might be able to tell you if your are getting your co (asthma?) back from childhood or if you are clear as a bell. If you are getting clogged up with tarballs that is one thing, if you feel that your tight, that is another. Because of where I work I have to say I am not giving you medical advice.
    Good luck and take good care.

6. birdgirl73

birdgirl73 Registered+

Jesta, please take the information above with a grain of salt. This person doesn't know how the pulmonary system works. Cannabis smoke, like anything else inhaled into the lungs, does indeed go into the alveoli, or little air sacs that are the final branches of the pulmonary "tree." That's where all gas exchange occurs in the lungs and it's where THC and the other active ingredients in weed are absorbed. The alveoli are the only parts of the lungs equipped for any sort of gas or chemical exchange. Perhaps what MrNiceGuy was thinking of was the fact that while cigarette smoking tends to be more damaging to the alveoli, cannabis smoking more frequently damages the large airways, or bronchial tubes, and diminishes the small airways, or bronchioles.

Princess knows what she's talking about. Albuterol doesn't scour out tar or other inhaled buildup in the lungs. It simply dilates airways by constricting the small blood vessels along the smooth muscle. Anyone who's seen autopsied lungs of long-time smokers, including long-time pot smokers, knows that tar builds up and leaves deposits that remain behind. Invest in a vaporizer if you're concerned about your pulmonary health.

7. wholapola

wholapola Registered+

Just a word of caution-don't self medicate yourself with albuterol just for kicks. Albuterol is in a class of drugs called beta-2 agonists-if you take beta blockers for hypertension (drugs that typically end in -ol (atenolol, propanolol etc..) they typically work against each other...if you're an asthmatic or COPD'er might be better off with Atrovent (Ipratropium Bromide)-an anti-muscarinic type med. Or try a leukotrine modifier (singulair) or a mast cell stabilizer (Intal). I've had good initial reports regarding Spiriva (Tiotropium Bromide)-a long term maintenance anti-cholinergic. Advair is another decent long-term asthma/COPD med. (2 in 1 med) combines fluticosone (Flowvent)-a glucocorticosteroid anti-inflammatory with Serevent (long-term Beta-2 Agonist). Good luck to you Blue Bloaters and Pink Puffers! And as funny as this sounds my professional job title is an INHALATION THERAPIST ('70's term) Good day.

8. angry nomad

angry nomad Registered+

Ask you doctor. You should be able to tell your doctor you smoke weed~=!

9. IanCurtisWishlist

IanCurtisWishlist Registered+

Yeah Exactly! Albuterol is a steroid. There seems to be a common misconception that everything that comes in an inhaler is something like benzadrene (spelling is probably wrong but fuck it i'm lazy). You don't wanna fuck with Albuterol.

10. IanCurtisWishlist

On another note, if you want to rid your lungs of the phlegm and tar, try a prescription-only product called SSKI (Super Strong Potassium Iodide). You'll be coughing up the shit for DAYS, and then you'll think to yourself 'OH MY GOD THAT WAS IN *MY* LUNGS????? IMPOSSIBLE'.

SSKI--RX only

11. Dave Byrd

Dave Byrd Registered+

Not sure where you got your facts. Albuterol is not a steroid. Not by a long shot. It's a short-acting β2-adrenergic receptor agonist. It widens the airways by relaxing the muscles that cause bronchospasms.

True, it's not to be used lightly, but albuterol/salbutamol is great stuff for the people who need it for asthma or COPD. Don't get the idea that all people need to steer clear of albuterol. Millions of people need some form of that med to be able to breathe, as our inhalation therapist friend above can confirm.

Your recommendation for potssium iodide (SSKI) as an expectorant/decongestant is also inaccurate. SSKI is used for thyroid condiitons or prep for thyroid surgery. There are lots more effective medicines for mucus clearance.

12. IanCurtisWishlist

I stand corrected. The drug ending -ol confused me. Sorry I'm studying pre-pharmacy I'm definitely not as knowledgeable as you!

If I were a doctor I'd be sued for malpractice!

*takes a bow*

13. IanCurtisWishlist

As far as what you said about SSKI, a pharmacist friend of mine recommended this to me for clearing out mucous. I'm sure there are better things out there. see SSKI Drops facts and comparsions at Drugs.com

for further information

Last edited: Sep 12, 2007
  14. Dave Byrd

Dave Byrd Registered+

Your pharmacist friend probably knows SSKI's no longer a drug of choice for an expectorant anymore by now himself. Just because it isn't doesn't mean there aren't docs and resp techs still using it these days. Naturopaths and other loonies without any sense love to push the stuff, which people can get without a script at compounding pharmacies. That just confirms they don't read or stay up with the latest info. SSKI's risky for patients with heart conditions. Anyone who has a chest full of mucus is essentially putting some strain on his heart to begin with. It also has tons of other medicine interactions and troubling potential side effects. Now it's best left to the thyroid folks. To people who've got radiation exposure. To those who have a better reason to load themselves with potassium and iodine than crud in the lungs.
    SSKI - Drugs & Vitamins - Drug Library - DrugDigest