Dog in pain

Discussion in 'Pets & Animals' started by Bobby Peers, Jan 6, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Bobby Peers

Bobby Peers Registered

I have a lab mix that my wife and I adopted from the SPCA. He was badly abused at his last home, we could count his ribs he was that starved, and 3 years later he still pees on the floor sometimes when I reach to quickly to pet him or he sees me with a broom sweeping the floor. However he also was born without cartilage in his back hips causing him pain 24/7. He is prescribed a liquid narcotic of some kind to ease the pain and It does work but we cant give it to him too often because its hard on his organs from what the vet told us. I have a friend who makes some great Rick Simpson oil and I am very curious if that may be helpful to him. Thanks for any input, I see that people give it to dogs with cancer and my friend that makes it actually gave it to his dog the last bit of his life before they had to put him down after getting hit by a car but I wanted to check with some other knowledged people before trying. Thanks again

2. Weedpup

Weedpup Registered

Try and find a dog thread that Weezard is commenting on - he seems to be the go to for pets

3. Weezard

Weezard Registered+

Not really, I just love pupps.

Cannabis is very effective for some kinds of pain.
    When a nurse asks you to grade your pain level on a scale of 1 to 10, She is actually checking your anxiety level.
    With humans, physical pain, and anticipation of physical pain are almost synonymous.
    We can worry ourselves into knots.
    Dogs worry too, but not the same way.
    The RSO may be more useful to your dog as an anti-anxiety agent than as a pain killer.

It gives relief from constant pain like lack of cartilage by being a distractant mostly.
    However, I personally find that more is not necessarily better.
    I get pain relief from inhalation titration, (smoking). With some "strains", 2 hits is perfect for pain suppression, but 4 hits is not!
    Actually seems to make it worse.

There are other kinds of pain that do not seem to be helped by cannabis.
    While good weed keeps my arthritis at bay, it was not up to a centipede sting.
    That's a whole new pain scale.

Hmm, what am I trying to say here?

It may well help, and it may not.
    What we know for sure, is that it will do no harm.

I would give it a try, just be very careful not to overdose.
    And let us know how it goes, especially the anxiety related symptoms.

Aloha,
    Wee 'zard

• Like Like x 1
  4. VakarianZ

VakarianZ Administrator

• Like Like x 1