Dogs & Cancer

Discussion in 'Medicinal Cannabis and Health' started by hottrageous, Jul 31, 2013.

1. Weezard

Weezard Registered+

I feel for you.
    Meclizine is prescibed for dizziness and has it's own side effects that may cloud the issue. (I once had to take it for BPV).

This sounds more like excitement/anxiety.
    Considering where she ended up on the last few drives, I'd expect a little anxiety.
    Because;

corgisandboobs.jpeg
    Don't give her a dose in the morning, turn up the air conditioner, and see if she settles down.
    Good luck,
    Wee

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. Khandy

Khandy Registered+

Weezard -

I hope this finds you and yours doing well. I made it home just a bit ago. Take Myah to the vet tomorrow. She has another spot swollen up on her neck in the last two days. Cancer vet had wanted a 2nd opinion on the biopsy as nothing at all showed up anywhere in ct scan. She thought there was a chance it was incorrect as things aren't adding up but with the new spot on her neck popping up Friday night, Im afraid that probably isn't the case. I just hope it is the initial tumor and not another lymph node.

Night,
    Kandy, Myah, River and Rok

3. Soconina

Soconina Registered+

Hello everybody,

I am so happy that Weezard is still here. I have been reading up to page 15 and didn't think the thread is still active. I just want to thank you so much for helping so many people and pets.
    Now, the bad news : my wonderful dog has been diagnosed with mast cell tumors 5 days ago. She is a pitbull, 7 years old, and 26 kgs and very healthy in general ( other than the cancer). I made the oil yesterday and started giving her since last night. I started with 1/4 grain of rice rso, then today with 1/3 grain of rice rso, since yesterday she seemed totally active and didn't look like she experienced anything. After 1/3 dose, she slept a bit and then was more active than normal. She is normally not a very active dog, she is more like a cat.
    I put some on her tumors also. I am giving her spirulina and chlorella powder and also ordered some chinese herbs called Xue Fu Zhu Yu Tang. My hope is in the rso.
    I went to the vet and she did an aspiration with a needle, and after the result, she said we should remove the tumors with surgery. She scheduled me 2 days after I found the shocking result, and after reading this thread and other forums, my husband and I decided not to take her through surgery and try the rso.
    Weezard, please, do you think the supplements I give her, could interfere with the rso? She was not wobbly after 1/3 dose, so do you think I should give her more?
    We will see an oncologist Tuesday, and see what he has to say also. We are going to tell him that we don't want surgery and chemo, but reading the thread, maybe Benadryl would be good?
    We love her so much, we want her well. Sorry for my English, I am not a native speaker.

4. Soconina

Soconina Registered+

[​IMG] These are the tumors. She has 2 small ones on the chest, and the front leg( not sure if those are tumors, but very little lumps)

5. Soconina

Soconina Registered+

Image didn't upload, I'll try again[​IMG]

Attached Files:

6. Soconina

Soconina Registered+

Tomorrow we are going to the Cancer Academy for dogs, and ask the vet about surgery. We will continue with rso, but after reading more of the thread, I have seen Weezard implying that it's good to do surgery on mast cell tumors. I read a lot about how they don't have to be disturbed because they will spread, but also read that doing surgery as fast as possible is good. A million thoughts pop in my head, and I don't know which are good.

7. Soconina

Soconina Registered+

Hello,
    I am so happy to read about your dog, Weezard and about you. I hope for everybody.
    What I meant to say in my first post is that I give her 3 times/day the mentioned doses.
    I finally finished reading all the thread and see that you had very good results lowering the dosage.
    Today I give her 40 mgs 3 times a day. Should I lower it, or up her dosage? She does not show any sign of being stoned. After 4 days with the oil, topically and orally, one of her small lumps on the leg disappeared completely, and the others seem a bit ( tiny) smaller. I went to the vet today, and he said she should do chemo and that he can do the surgery with no problem. He also told me there are 70% chances that tumors will return. He said he doesn't think she is in stage 3. He also told me that tumors shrink and grow again, so I don't have my hopes up. Should I do the surgery, or wait 2-3 weeks to see if the lumps go with rso?

• Like Like x 1
  8. Weezard

Weezard Registered+

Just got back from vacation, and am a tad jet lagged. So take what I write now with plenty of salt.

RSO potency varies, so if she shows no sign of being stoned at that dosage, it may be safe to increase it a bit..
    Mast cell tumors do recur often and surgery can actually potentiate that.

If it were me, I'd up the dose slightly and wait 2 or 3 weeks before taking more drastic measures.

As for the Spirulina, Chlorella, and Chineses herbs? I don't know much about them.
    Perhaps someone who does will advise?

Aloha,
    Weeze

• Like Like x 1
  9. Soconina

Soconina Registered+

Thank you so much for your reply. I hope you had a great vacation.
    Last night I upped her dose and she was definitely stoned. She threw up in the middle of the night and even in the morning she was stoned. I was not sure how much to give, because I read you had good results with lowering the dosage. Reading on other forums, I have found 2 people that treated mast cell tumors with cannabis in dogs, and one that didn't, so 2:1 for us.
    Should I up her dose slowly until it gets to 350 milligrams ? She is 25 - 26 kgs.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Weezard

Weezard Registered+

I would not.
    In fact I'd cut that by at least 2/3rds.
    100 mg. of decent rso should be more than enough for a 26 k. pup. You want in between "delightfully stoned" and barfing.
    Any more may be counterproductive.
    Gave my 40 k. girl 100 mg. in a divided dose. 1/2 in the morning, 1/2 at night.
    It worked quite well. and she gets very ripped still.
    You can't expect, and do not need, to build tolerance in dogs.
    Again, more than enough is too much.

Aloha,
    Weeze

• Like Like x 1
  11. Soconina

Soconina Registered+

Hello Weezard,

I will take your advice. I also bought DMSO, as I read in the thread that you recommend it for topical use with rso. I am a bit scared to use it. I read a lot of side effects and possible allergy. Can you give me an advice for DMSO? Thank you again. I hope your health is good and your dog also.

12. Khandy

Khandy Registered+

Good evening Weez,
    I hope all is good in your world with you and yours and I hope you had a good vacation!

I've been fighting with this mass in her neck still. I go in to the doc every other day to get it drained via needle aspiration. The docs do not feel that another surgery would do anything. The mass they think is her cancer, and they say the infection is from the cancer. I am not finding alot to back that up if anything. She is on 2 antibiotics, and doesn't ever get a fever. Her neck does drain on its own off and on, I try and keep it open as she feels much better when
    it does. She also scratches at it off and on and loves when I rub it. I can tell it is smaller the last couple days as well.

She was still doing great until today. I had upped her RSO dose a bit to just under 1/2 grain 2x a day. Today I think I gave her too much. I knew it was just a tiny bit more than normal but I didn't think it would be an issue. Apparently I was wrong. She vomited at 4 hours and 6 hours after dosage. She has had no appetite and has slept all day with very little movement. She has drank water more than usual throughout the day. All of this I kind of expected due to a lot of what is in this forum. Tonight she is still sleepy with no appetite. Which brings me to my largest concern. Is it normal for her to still have no appetite 12 hours after the dose? And still be out of it? If so, for how long? Also, I figure to not give her a dose tonight as she is still so wonked. I am worried that she may have turned for the worse and it's not just the oil. (This was the first time she has ever vomited since on the oil and the diagnosis.)

Thank you,
    Kandy

• Like Like x 1
  13. Khandy

Khandy Registered+

Weezard~

Just checking in to see if you are okay. I've not seen a post from you and I am a bit concerned. I hope this finds you and yours all well and happy.

Kandy

• Like Like x 2
  14. Soconina

Soconina Registered+

Hello Weezard and Kandy.

I hope you are both good. I am giving her the rso like you said - 100 mg per day divided in 3 portions. I also use it topically with turmeric powder. The 2 bigger tumors have exactly the same size ( I measured them), but the 2- 3 smaller ones (2 for sure, the 3 rd I'm not sure it existed) are almost gone. You can see they were there but they are flat completely and the skin looks almost the same as the healthy skin. The bigger tumors started growing hair, we think this is a good sign. She had a small one on her leg and one on her chest which we think they may be just rashes from the harness. We switched to a collar now. Do you think I should keep the dosage at 100 mg/day? or give her more?
    Best wishes,
    Maria

• Like Like x 1
  15. Weezard

Weezard Registered+

Only took 8 days off from being retired and I sill haven't caught up. :)
    I was pretty sure that I answered your last post saying that a drop in dosage was indicated, but I now find no trace of said post.
    I plead jet-lag.

"Is it normal for her to still have no appetite 12 hours after the dose? And still be out of it? If so, for how long?

As much as 36 hours. If a large dose is given on an empty stomach, I've seen people still wobbly after 48 hours.

@Soconina;
    Sounds like it's working and I understand the impatience, but I'll say it again, "more than enough is too much."
    Do you have definitive biopsies? Some of that sounds like harmless histiocytomas.

Aloha,
    Weeze

• Like Like x 1
  16. Soconina

Soconina Registered+

Hello,

We did only aspiration needle since we decided to wait with the surgery and see if the oil and the herbs work. Of course I have thought it's only a bad dream and she just has some bumps. I will keep her on the same dosage. Thank you!
    We will go to another vet oncologist next week and see what more we can do. I have seen that surgery is an important step for other dogs and we think we should do it for her also.
    We have been to a " holistic" vet also, that turned out to be a crook. He is paid 100 euro/ hour and he was spelling my name and address for 10 minutes and then " feeling " her energy with a pen :)
    Maria

• Like Like x 1
  17. Soconina

Soconina Registered+

Hello,

Today I found another lump, in the middle of where the 2 small ones used to be... So I guess it's not working

Best wishes,

Maria

18. Weezard

Weezard Registered+

Do not despair.
    Most of the "bumps" that occur on puppies and old dogs are benign growths. Histo-cytomas, lipoid tumors, etc.
    RSO seems to treat them as "normal tissue" and ignores them.

For a better indicator of effectiveness, monitor her weight.
    Rapid weight loss is a very bad sign, as is loss of interest.
    Gum color, eye clarity, energy level and temperature are all good health indicators.
    Malignancies often generate low grade, chronic, fever, and low energy.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Soconina

Soconina Registered+

Hello,

We found last night that one of the bigger lumps is swollen. At the aspiration needle they told us it's mastocytoma and that it's malignant. We are going to do the surgery, and continue with everything after. I read that rso is safe to give during surgery. Wish us luck!
    And I hope the best for you. Just as a side note, I have been reading about artemisinin for cancer, and especially about people with prostate cancer. Just my 2 cents.

Best wishes,
    Maria

20. Weezard

Weezard Registered+

Surgery is the best course with mast cell. But it can trigger metastasis so Steroids and RSO will help pre, and post.

Mahalo for the wormwood tip. That'll keep me busy for a while. :)
    Wishing you luck, and aloha,
    Weeze