Dogs & Cancer

Discussion in 'Medicinal Cannabis and Health' started by hottrageous, Jul 31, 2013.

1. Weezard

Weezard Registered+

In short;

"These studies showed that purified CBD gives a bell-shaped dose-response curve. Healing was only observed when CBD was given within a very limited dose range, whereas no beneficial effect was achieved at either lower or higher doses."

Was my first clue.
    The studies were looking for ways to get around the CBD bell curve when dealing with inflammation. And they did find a way. By using a raw extract from a certain strand containing the other cannabinoids, they were able to use increased dosage for increased relief, from inflammation.

I was taking very large amounts of RSO and getting less than impressive results for cancer.
    At almost 1 gram per day. The best I could do was slow the progression of a Prostate cancer met just enough to give me a normal lifespan.
    (Now, I'm 75, so the normal life span thing is less comforting than it was, yah?)

When my dog presented with an aggressive mammary cancer, I tried to increase her dosage as per conventional internet wisdom.
    She was too ill to tolerate it, so I cut it back to the starter dose. of roughly 70 mg. and hoped for the best.

Saw an amazingly fast remission at that dosage!
    Then I remembered what I had read about the CBD "bell curve".

After years of a slight slowdown in my PSA rise from 1 gram of RSO per day, and seeing her rapid remission, I cut my dosage way back. Dropped it to 140 mg..

For the first time in 10 years, my PSA stopped rising and actually started dropping!
    I have cut my dosage in half again to about 70 mg. for this next test period and will see what effect that has in April.
    Then. I'll adjust is for speed of remission.

By happy accident, I saved my dog from cancer.
    She returned the favor. :)

Google up "dosage bell curve" and do some reading.
    That wee bit of information saved my ass.

You may be right about the apoptosis. Been looking into it.
    It did not happen with the mammary tumors though, they just melted away.
    She still has one abnormal nipple, but 4, large tumors are gone.

Sadly, it's not all good news, the cyst like growths in her armpit have grown a little and the abdominal mass is back, though about 1/2 the size it was when she was very ill.

She'll be 12 this year.
    Canis Velveetus.JPG
    This time last year she was all but dead.

Miracles occur daily.
    Aloha,
    Weeze

Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Weedpup

Weedpup Registered

Beautiful girl - those eyes!

3. Weezard

Weezard Registered+

It looks like pure love for her daddy, but don't be fooled.
    That's the look of a cheese-hound, Canis Velveetus. :D

4. Jenn Elle

Jenn Elle Registered

Thank you for the approval

I have a few questions about RSO dosage.

My dog is 14.5, other than wobbly hips, he's been in good shape. He's 80lbs, 14.5 years old, mutt (Siberian husky, Bernese, etc).

Recently I found out he has as tumor that is structurally impeding on his heart and trachea, which the vet stated was probably the reason he was having difficulty breathing, coughing frequently, been sick, not wanting to eat without incentive (eggs, broth, etc.), and "mopey." He also has a large tumor is his liver.

I decided to start giving him RSO in hopes to shrink the tumor, even slightly, to give him some ease. I began with a 1/2 grain-of-rice sized drop three times a day with food (I feed him three times a day).

After a few days I upped it to a grain of rice three times a day. I'm curious what you think about how much I should build up to. He does not show any negative signs of being affected by the oil. He has, whether coincidental or not, since taking the oil, breathes noticabley easier and quieter, eats his food right away, without incentive, and his energy (bouncing for food, wagging tail, running around) is back.

Are there negative side effects of the RSO in long term usage? Also for a dog this old?

I did read part of this thread, but not all 43 pages. If there is somewhere you have discussed a similar situation please refer me.
    Thank you for your time,
    Jenn

5. Weezard

Weezard Registered+

There does not appear to be.

"After a few days I upped it to a grain of rice three times a day. I'm curious what you think about how much I should build up to. He does not show any negative signs of being affected by the oil. He has, whether coincidental or not, since taking the oil, breathes noticabley easier and quieter, eats his food right away, without incentive, and his energy (bouncing for food, wagging tail, running around) is back."

And, as for dosage?
    Does sound a bit high quantity wise.
    But that depends, on potency, so we are looking at side effects to judge dosage.
    Read the last 5 or 6 pages for information on that

From your description of behavior, and progress, your present dosage sounds close to ideal for that batch of oil.
    If you start a new batch, you may need to make adjustments.

He's pretty old for a Chow.
    If "his energy is back" you are doing something right, yah?

Carry on,
    Weeze