PAX2 Vaporizer

DWC setup help

Discussion in 'Hydroponics' started by Kronz, Oct 6, 2009.

1. Kronz

Kronz Registered+

Just went and purchased two 14 gallon containers to start a dwc. This will be my first time growing hydro. I have been reading threads of how many plants i should put in each container but everyone has a different numbers.. I am going to use a 600watt hps system. I was thinking of 3 plants in each container, so 6 in all. how many plants can I fit under a 600hps? I am going to setup it up tomrrow and will add some pictures. But any help would be great.

2. LOC NAR on probation

LOC NAR on probation Registered+

We run 6 three inch netpots in a ten gallon tub. It really depends on how big they can get. Remember if you start at one foot they will end up two to three feet. A 600 watt light will cover a 5 x 5 area. If you go too tall then you will need side lighting to get under the canopy.

OH, and welcome. Come on in the water is FINE.

3. SpaceNeedle

SpaceNeedle Registered+

I would say a 600W light covers more like 3 x 3, and no more than 4 x 4
    sn

4. Kronz

Kronz Registered+

heres a couple pics. I just made 2 of these containers. 4 plants in each. I glued the airstones down with silicone, now just ready for some plants. I am not sure how much nutrients i need. Ive read over and over about nutrients but cant figure out how much i should put in. Im going to be using the General Hydroponics Flora series. So I change the water and nutrients every week is that correct? I mainly need to just figure out the nutrient info. How much ? and how often ?. I will be using tap water and using PH up/down to balance it out. So anyone with Nutrient info please help me. Thanks

Attached Files:

5. dejayou30

dejayou30 Registered+

I think you are definitely going to want more air stones, and make sure you have plenty of air moving through them, ie. nothing less than an industrial sized air pump, no Wal Mart fishtank air pumps, etc. You really need to churn the water in bins that big to avoid stagnant areas and rotten roots as a result of the stagnation. As for nutes, not so sure on GH Flora because I use organics. As for the number of plants per bulb, I've found it much easier to grow one big one under one bulb. Good luck! :thumbsup:

6. Mother

Mother Registered+

Hi Kronz,

Your pictures are a bit dark, but it looks like you have two airstones per bucket. I'd recommend four per bucket. Also, GOOD air pumps are a must! Like dejayou30 said, no Walmart junk. Go to an aquarium store and get some good dual output pumps, two per bucket. (That's one dual output pump running two airstones, so one airstone per output.) I like two dual pumps better than one quad because if one fails, you'll have some time to realize it before your plants' roots suffocate.

As for nutes, follow the directions on the label, only start at HALF strength and you can work up from there. A PPM/pH meter will be invaluable for this, so if you don't already have one, get one, period.

Yes, change your water once a week. You may be OK with tap water, or you may not be. The more chlorine in your tap water, the less likely it will work for you, but that's not the only nasty chemical they put in tap water, either. You'll find out pretty fast (a few days) if your tap water is suitable. If your temps are ok (65-75 F) and your pH and PPM are OK and you get root rot anyway (a slimy film that collects on the roots) then your water is bad.

DWC is really easy once you get the hang of it, like riding a bike. It seems really overwhelming at first, but once you catch on it's a breeze.

7. Kronz

Kronz Registered+

thanks for the replies... Ya I am going to have to get better airstones. I went to Petsmart and picked those up. I also picked up airpumps, here is a picture of my airpump. should I get a better one? I also just picked up a hanna 3 in 1 tester..

Attached Files:

8. tinytoon

tinytoon Registered+

GH makes an airpump that they advertise as the only one on the market made for Hydro. has 4 adjustable outlets that can run 3 stones per outlet for a total of 12. Pump is suppose to be extremely quiet and runs around $70. as for nutes read Latewood's Legacy which is a sticky in Hydro section. According to the Hydro shop I go to the regular GH 3-part is best for Hydro and the flora nova series is best for soil, atleast that is what I was told :thumbsup:

9. dejayou30

dejayou30 Registered+

I have never seen those, but since it says "up to 40 gallon", I am assuming its talking about fish tanks. My opinion is that a fish tank air pump is not going to cut it in a bin that big.

I run something like this: [​IMG]

Its not that big, but moves a ton of air. I have a 19W and a 36W one. The 19W one supports 6 air stones and the 36W does 10. The 36W one is a bit overkill for my setup, but its better to have more air than you need than not enough. The 19W one was like $40 and the 36W was around $70. Your air supply to the roots is the most important element in DWC, so don't slack on it. :thumbsup:

Last edited: Oct 7, 2009
  10. disrupt86

disrupt86 Registered+

i have this is pump,its the quad manifold.i wish i would have spent my 70 bones on 7 dual outlet pumps.oh yeah i had to any ways.:D

11. disrupt86

disrupt86 Registered+

what i have done in the past worked really well it requires,2 dual outlet pumps per dwc container.i ran 12 inch strips at the bottom like u have done,and at the verry top of the container have drilled 2 1/ inch holes in between the net pots.picked up some of the smaller one inch true blue air stones,those sit about 6 inches deep from the lid down.that way u have the 2 at the verry bottom keeping the water moving and 2 that are pretty much your main source of oxygen for your plants.

12. Kronz

Kronz Registered+

hey guys. so today went to the hydro store and picked some stuff up. A new air pump and new air stones along with a new hps. Friend came over and we built a pretty cool growbox 5x3x8 i think thats how u say 8 anyway its pretty big. I will take some pics tomorrow when there is light. I need some input on a few things. but here are a few pictures. I am going to have 3 airstones in each container, should this be enough? also should I redo the tops of my bucket ? the pots seem close together. Should I spread them apart more? I have a 14 gallon container with four 5" inch pots

Attached Files:

13. Kronz

Kronz Registered+

and should I use hydroton clay pebbles? lava rock or coco?

14. Kronz

Kronz Registered+

Just finished my grow setup today, here are a few pics of it. Its 8 ft tall so there is lots of room for growing. Going with the clay pebbles I guess. Just waiting on another airstone from the hydro store to go inside my bucket. hey only had 5 at the time and i'm going with 3 in each container. I will be making a log of my grow because im going to need some help from you guys, since this is my first hydro grow.. Just still worried about the whole nutrient thing.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 8, 2009
  15. tinytoon

tinytoon Registered+

keep in mind you cant use all 8 ft of vertical space, your light can only go so high.

16. Kronz

Kronz Registered+

I am aware of that... I was just saying my room is 8ft tall. There isnt too much help on these boards like back in the day.. Where did everyone go? GC.com? I have been looking through the threads and I think I should have gone with individual buckets instead of a rubbermaid container. Guess ill just wait till next grow...

17. Kronz

Kronz Registered+

also anyway I can make a resevoir connecting to my two 14 gallon containers? if so how big should it be and how do I set it up. PLease anyone with info help me out. thanks

18. MMJLabRat

MMJLabRat Registered

DWC help

I think the tubs you made are great. 14 is a bit large cuz you have to figure out how much water you will actually need to hit the baskets and then add nutes accordingly to that much water. i have STORE bought tubs with 4 pots and they are 5 gallon serilite tubs. You should see the White Widow!.

Oh i use fish tank air pumps and ( Ill match smoke ANYTIME WIT ANYONE)
    but then too i have a coffee can DWC system with net pots in gallon cans, and one air pump per can on them.

Hydroton good I use it too, you can reclaim most of it after each grow. just bleach them out and rinse very well ( i soak mine a few days in ozone enriched water)

19. disrupt86

disrupt86 Registered+

hey small piece of advice,keep your air pumps above your containers if your not going to use check valves,if the power goes out or for some odd reason the pump starts struggling 2 keep up "like u get a smal hole on the inside diaphram" then the water will back feed and destroy your pump. thats just not good for anybody :)

20. disrupt86

disrupt86 Registered+

if u would like to turn your system into a verry simple recirculating system with a rez i can help u with that,it allows u to keep the exact ppms in both containers and a fresh supply of water"so its not just sitting there in its own container. i did have a link some were for a self topping rez but i cant seem to find it in my favs.ill keep looking. u could also look into buying one from general hydro,i dont think there 2 expensive,and the plumping on them i belive is simple,just one bucket on top of the next with a float.when the bottom bucket"wich is linked 2 the rest of your system gets 2 low the float trips and more water is relased into the system,once the float valve has the right amount of water to keep it raised then the top controller will close.it works just like a toilet does.honestly though with only 2 container's its just going to cause more problems than taking the time to swap out your 2 reservoirs.i do think that a recirculating system would be beneficial 2 your grow.