Emmie's First Legal Missouri 6 Plant, Organic, LED Grow Log

Discussion in 'Grow Log' started by emilya, Nov 30, 2018.

1. emilya

emilya Future Dispensary Owner

This is going to be a new experience. I am still trying to wrap my head around the concept of doing this without fear of the law, although common sense tells me that I still must be cautious of my fellow citizens. There is still a need for privacy and what happens in the basement must remain in the basement...

So here we go! First, the varieties. I have gone classic in my selection, bringing back some old standards and personal favorites. This run will have 6 different varieties, Jack Herer, Wappa, TrainWreck, NYC Diesel, Ice Breaker and Super Cheese.

I have purchased a new 1500w LED light to start these plants in and will purchase several more to take them into flower. There is not going to be a lack of strong LED light in this grow. My goal is to prove to myself, my biggest critic, that LED is superior to old school HID lighting. I like the results that I get with my old dual light system, using 600w HPS and MH together in flower, but I am open to change.

The soil and the container preparation is going to be following true organic guidelines. The base soil started out several years ago as SubCool's SuperSoil mix, but it has been getting better all of this time. With every run, every bit of scrap wood and leaf went back into that soil. Nothing was wasted and the soil has been well amended with azomite, oystershell, and all the additives, layers of organic materials, spikes, teas and even some kitchen scraps of all the grows throughout those years. The containers will all be carefully prepared to have even more fresh layers of nutrients, spikes, earthworm castings, etc to supplement this soil and to make sure that everything the plants and the microlife need is in there. No chlorinated water nor synthetic nutrients have ever touched this soil, nor will they be used in this garden.

The plants will be started out by placing the seeds on top of a spring water soaked cotton ball sitting in the middle of a pie plate. This is covered with plastic wrap, making sure there was an air gap between the seed and the plastic and then put in a dark warm place. In 2-3 days even the most reluctant old seed will come to life and send out a root and when they get to be 1/4"-1/2" long, I will plant them 1/2" deep in a red solo cup 3/4 full of my well cooked soil. Once they pop to the surface I will continue to water in small amounts twice a day, helping the roots find the bottom and then as soon as the seedlings have established themselves, I will water the container properly one time, and then wait 2-3 days for the container to dry out. The next time I water, I will hit them with a once every couple of weeks shot of Mycorrhizae to really get the roots going, and then in a few days at their next watering they will get their first Actively Aerated Compost Tea. The next tea in a week or so will include ground up barley shoots, adding their growth hormone into the soil and the one after that will be a strong nitrogen/calcium load to really get vegging going in a hurry.

We go legal Dec 6. That is the official start date of all of this and pictures will be forthcoming. I just wanted to let you know what is coming and how much preparation is already going into this grow. I will also disclose that IF any pre-prep has been going on around here, possibly giving me the assuredness of which varieties will actually be seen, it would have been done under 400w of HPS light... the LED doesn't arrive until Monday. I don't think that a week under standard lighting is going to affect the experiment at all.

Be well everyone,
    More coming soon...
    Em​

• Like Like x 5
  2. Gone Camping

Gone Camping Registered+

I'll just pull up a chair in the front row...

Been awhile since i'v followed ya Em.. looking forward to it.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Mark Gordan Smith

Mark Gordan Smith Registered+

I'll just pop out for some candy and then take a shower......mind if I join you.

• Like Like x 1
  4. emilya

LED light came in early and is now installed 15" above the tops of the seedlings. The plants are all sitting there giving me a very green stare but I should know in 12 hours or so what they think of this. The light is less red than I expected it to be... sort of purple, and should work just fine in veg.

• Like Like x 1
  5. emilya

DSCF6692x750.jpg
    Here is a quick shot of my soon to be legal family. The big one came up 11/17, the next a week later and the rest are about 5 days old. The strength of my old seeds in the fridge surprised me and I thought it would take me longer than it did to get 6 viable plants to this stage.
    They just got their first AACT, bubbled for about 3 days. This should cause rapid growth in the next week, especially if the fungi they were given earlier are taking hold on the roots.

[​IMG]

6. emilya

Today my little plants surprised me a little... they are really loving this LED light! Yesterday they were given their first compost tea, and the growth spurt they put on in the last 24 hours is incredible! The oldest plant, about a week and a half old just sucked up all of its liquid in 24 hours, trying to indicate to me that it is time already to transplant her. I told her I don't believe it and watered her again with plain water, daring her to do it again. We shall see tomorrow.
    Meanwhile, the AACT, actively aerated compost tea... I am surprised no one has asked me about it yet. It is a very effective tea designed for seedlings, so not too hot in nutrients but extremely rich in microlife. It was made by bubbling in a gallon pitcher for 3 days, the following:
    2 tbls unsulfured molasses
    1 tsp liquid fish fertilizer
    1 tbls alfalfa meal
    1 tbls kelp/feather meal mix
    1 cup earthworm castings
    1 tsp liquid seaweed
    10 drops calmag

This was strained and diluted 100% with water inoculated with mycorrhizae and applied to all of the plants. It made way too much to use this time, and the rest of the AACT was added to my super soil compost bin.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. Mark Gordan Smith

[QUOTE="emilya, post: 2349559, member: I am surprised no one has asked me about it yet. It is a very effective tea designed for seedlings, so not too hot in nutrients but extremely rich in microlife. It was made by bubbling in a gallon pitcher for 3 days, the following:
    2 tbls unsulfured molasses
    1 tsp liquid fish fertilizer
    1 tbls alfalfa meal
    1 tbls kelp/feather meal mix
    1 cup earthworm castings
    1 tsp liquid seaweed
    10 drops calmag

This was strained and diluted 100% with water inoculated with mycorrhizae and applied to all of the plants. It made way too much to use this time, and the rest of the AACT was added to my super soil compost bin.[/QUOTE]

I am surprised no one has asked me about it yet
    We're too frightened....!

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. TomSawyer2112

TomSawyer2112 Registered+

I would actually encourage not starting seeds under these types LED fixtures. They are too intense and with the lower temps of LED, you would have to move the light too close. So starting under classic lights is a wise move. I don’t put my seedlings under these type LEDs for about 1-2 weeks after germ.

Edit
    But I guess I posted too late. LOL. You’re already way ahead of me. LMAO
    They look great!

9. emilya

so far so good though... 3 of my 6 started under the LED... and I just moved it out to 17" for germination. The PAR on this 1000w rig was enough to encourage rapid growth right from the start, even at that distance. Now the lights have been moved to 15" for the new seedlings, and I am not going to freak when the plants close that gap to 12-13".

10. emilya

Wappa met Uncle Ben this morning and got her topping right between the 2nd and 3rd nodes. Now one main kola becomes 4. In 24 hours the entire structure of this plant will change, opening up the center for good airflow, and 4 primary kolas. She finally got her water too... 36 hours to drain the cup.... and now this. She will be ready for transplant in less than a week.
    DSCF6702x750.jpg DSCF6703x750.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  11. emilya

DSCF6709x750.jpg DSCF6707x750.jpg
    A couple of maintenance things in the tent this morning...
    Note the discoloration on the fan leaf on Wappa, there on the right. Even though she is still unable to drain the cup in 24 hours even now 2 days after the topping, this discoloration told me all I needed to know. She was starting to get very cramped in that cup only 3/4 filled with soil and was starting to exhibit rootbound symptoms.
    I tend to pop up all over the forum, mostly on threads where people are looking for answers to a problem in the tent, so you never know when or where I will let loose with a treatise or a small dissertation on how to water, why we pH, whatever got up my skirt that day... and you never know where or when little gems of logic and common sense will appear. I have had people tell me that they follow me just for that reason, so they don't miss one of these advanced papers on growing that I carelessly leave around in random places. Lately I have been going off about pH a lot, but also on the need to wait for a good scientific reason to up-pot, so it makes sense to address some of that here on my own thread and show that even when most gardeners out there would have transplanted to a larger container this morning, I knew to wait.
    When I lifted both of these plants, Wappa and Jack Herer, out of their containers, there were all kinds of roots to be seen. The roots are just starting to hit the sides all over the cup and will be starting to wrap soon. Neither plant has achieved my objective though, to be able to drain their container in 24 hours. Instead of transplanting, I have exercised my option to raise them up on a new bed of fresh soil underneath the present rootball, with an extra goodie to give them yet another boost.
    I have added a thin high nitrogen layer down there for the expanding roots to find. This layer consists of the following:
    1 part oyster shell flour
    2 parts high N bat guano
    1 part feather meal
    2 parts blood meal
    This high N mix is so important in my garden that I premix a batch of it for each run. The next container will have 2 layers of this mix in it, as well as some high N spikes in a few places in the container. These layers and spikes are great for our gardens because the roots are pretty good about specializing their activity (gathering the right microlife} around deposits such as these. It is one thing to force feed uncooked materials into the soil, it is quite another to let the roots encounter deposits of them as they seek out their limits.
    Oh, and raising them up like this moved their tops up one inch closer to the LED... now at the recommended 12" above the canopy.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Mark Gordan Smith

I get high just reading her posts.
    There is a most appropriate Lennon-McCartney link I put in now. Any guesses?

I wonder what she did with the bit she topped off.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. EvilCartman

EvilCartman Registered+

Yer startin'
    to creep me out...

14. TomSawyer2112

Is this supposed to be a Lorena Bobbitt joke?

15. Mark Gordan Smith

I did not mean to cause offense.
    I have requested my post be removed.

• Like Like x 1
  16. emilya

I was not offended. Please guys... lighten up.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. emilya

Jack got his haircut today, I topped the soil up on those who still needed support and added calmag to the next gallon of grocery store spring water. The girls are all getting quite thirsty as they all are starting to get several sets of leaves working. I will be selectively uppotting all of these in the next week or two to 1 gallon containers, Wappa first.
    Also, the tent was cold this morning, sitting at 67 degrees... the 5 year old space heater on a thermostat gave out. I quickly cut the AC plug off of it for later projects and wired a spare to the simple analog thermostat, and the tent regained its balmy 79 degrees.

18. Buds Buddy

Buds Buddy Registered+

Sounds like all is going well with your new light. I just bought a 2nd 600 watt Meizhi for my 4 x 4 tent. I may just try one of those Vanders in my 2x4 tent. Ordering a 3rd light this week. By the way …. I got my empty DVD case & a letter from Customs saying my order was destroyed. Maybe I should wait on a 3rd light til I actually get some seeds. Still have 2 orders I'm waiting for so I'll keep my fingers crossed I get them.
    Grow On / Grow Happy !!!

19. emilya

condolences on your loss... hope the next ones go better.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. TomSawyer2112

No offense at all buddy! I’m just making cheeky wisecracks over here! :S2::victorious::rastasmoker: