Fimming for fun and profit - please explain?

Discussion in 'Outdoor Growing' started by Fender Super, Jun 28, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Fender Super

Fender Super Registered+

Hey Y'all, You'e seen photos of my grow. The plants came in at about 14 inches and are about twice that now, with some making a lot of little branches from which I hope for big colas. Others, not so much.

At what point is it wise to top or FIM, and at what point is it not wise? I want to maximize yield but I don't want to screw the pooch in the process.

Any tips in this department?

2. Dutch Pimp

Dutch Pimp Up in Smoke

For me it's a matter of floor space. I don't have room for wide bushy plants.

But , I have plenty of height space. So I grow them tall, single cola. IMG_0298.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  3. Weezard

Weezard Registered+

Try to get your fimming/topping done while the branches are still growing opposite.
    Once the branches start to alternate, it's too late.

Aloha,
    Weeze

4. Fender Super

Fender Super Registered+

Keep in mind, I'm a newb and as big a dumbass as there is. Growing "opposite,"? Please explain.

5. Weezard

Weezard Registered+

Cannabis starts out with opposite branching.

branching.jpg

When cannabis switches to alternate branching it is ready to flower.

• Useful Useful x 1
  6. Fender Super

Fender Super Registered+

I don't believe these are even close to being ready to flower, they were 14" teenage clones that went into soil no earlier than June 17. I will keep these sluts in veg until the second week in August. Then it'll have had eight weeks of veg and there will be eight weeks for flowering (which scares the hell out of me). Still need to do my Super Thrive application. Can't believe how concentrated that stuff is, but if it gets these girls dancing like the Rockettes, that's just swell. ;)

7. EvilCartman

EvilCartman Registered+

Curious as to your latitude.
    I'd hate to see ya run into problems finishing.

In my neck o' the woods, that'd be cutting it too close. ;)

Last edited: Jun 29, 2017
  8. Weezard

Weezard Registered+

Here's a thought.
    This time, try applying Super thrive to half of your plants and the same amount of plain water to the other half.
    You may be surprised at what you see.

9. Fender Super

Fender Super Registered+

latitude about 37:30 north. Won't be a problem. Mediterranean climate.

10. EvilCartman

EvilCartman Registered+

Gotcha, I misinterpreted the "scares the hell out 'o me" part. :cool:

With another 6 or so more weeks of veg, you could FIM a top.
    "Super-cropping" will encourage branching, without sacrificing the bigger tops. ;)
    I'd only top or fim an outdoor plant if it really needed to be kept very short.

• Agree Agree x 1