Finger reattached...

Discussion in 'Pain Management and Other Drugs' started by redtails, Jun 26, 2015.

1. redtails

redtails Registered+

So stupid me almost lost my finger last night at work, it got caught in a chain on some machinery and went around a gear. The hand surgeon said it was a near amputation, only held on by 1 tendon. He reattached the remaining tendons, muscle, 2 arteries, and one vein as well as putting in a plate and screws to hold the bone together.

The Dr. said I should stay away from cigarettes and caffeine as they can restrict blood flow to the finger. Do you think that marijuana would act similarly? I really don't want to chance losing my finger if the arteries don't grow back, but I could definitely use the mj for my pain... For now I'll hold off I guess.

WP_20150626_001.jpg

2. The Widow White

The Widow White Registered+

Oh no! I am SO sorry you had this happen. My son works in the coal mine and I worry about him constantly as far as getting hurt. I don't think smoking the herb would be great for you to do, but considering you're only going to have to have a couple of hits to get some relief from it, I wouldn't worry too much about it. If I had gone through what you've just been through, I would've already smoked me some...just to calm my nerves. LOL Hope everything heals up correctly and very fast buddy!! Keep it clean and covered and try to follow doctor's orders as closely as possible. TWW

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. EvilCartman

EvilCartman Registered+

Ouch! That happened to my dad when I was just a lil' kid. He got three fingers in a chain-drive, all healed-up well. I hope the same for you! Good luck with it!

Here's a lil snippet from a UK study. My experience with the herb is that it should be helpful, but I might not bet my finger on it. :confused: Tobacco is a cardiovascular constrictor, quite different.

One of the most consistent effects of cannabis intoxication is an increased heart rate. For this reason alone it would not be normally recommended for patients with cardiovascular problems. However, THC also acts as a smooth-muscle relaxant, relaxing the walls of the arteries, which can result in lower blood pressure and increased blood flow to the tissues[ii][iii].

References

[ii] Malit LA, Johnstone RE, Bourke DI, Kulp RA, Klein V, Smith TC (1975) Intravenous delta9-Tetrahydrocannabinol: Effects of ventilatory control and cardiovascular dynamics. Anesthesiology 42(6):666-73
    [iii] Johnstone RE, Lief PL, Kulp RA, Smith TC (1975) Combination of delta9-tetrahydrocannabinol with oxymorphone or pentobarbital: Effects on ventilatory control and cardiovascular dynamics. Anesthesiology 42(6):674-84

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. gardenermendo

gardenermendo Registered+

Why didn't you just ask your Doc? You're following the rest of his advice (which you should), so why take a chance and do something your Doc wouldn't ok?

5. redtails

redtails Registered+

Last time I said anything about mj in a hospital DCS tried to take my newborn son. I don't trust them, even with a medical card they can still mess up my life

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. DirtyBlueGene

DirtyBlueGene Registered+

Damn, that's nasty. Heal fast and heal well, bro.

• Like Like x 1
  7. redtails

redtails Registered+

Thanks Gene. Out of the hospital now, trying to get my pain meds

8. DirtyBlueGene

DirtyBlueGene Registered+

Good, sucks to lay around in a hospital. Be careful not to use that hand until the finger is solidly reattached with good blood flow. A dude I know had his finger tip sewn back on, then went right back to work the next day. A few days later he was working and noticed his finger tip was black, so he just tore the fuckin' thing off and continued working, crazy bastard, lol.