First ever harvest tips?

Discussion in 'Outdoor Growing' started by lynnslaw84, Oct 15, 2016.

1. lynnslaw84

lynnslaw84 Registered+

Our first lady (ever) will be ready to harvest within two weeks. We have been using a jewelers loupe to look at the trichomes which are milky now, so ambers to come soon and then we'll cut and hang her. We have removed most of her fans already but will remove the rest then.

Does anyone have any tips? I've done a lot of reading and there are many opinions on this but we have never done it before so any recommendations would be great.

We are definitely going to hang her upside down, we can either hang her in the garage or indoors. With a fan or without? Sounds like this takes anywhere from 3-7 days. Then I read we should we be curing her in mason jars after which we plan to do.

Thoughts? Pro tips?

Thanks!

2. Shovelhandle

Shovelhandle Registered+

take off the fan leaves during the last days to make things easier later on.
    no direct fan on the plants but good air exchange, moderate temps (65-75ºF) and humidity if possible (35%)
    Don't rush, in about 7-10 days the branches will snap when broken over. Smaller plants may be done earlier.
    Trim and put into containers about 3/4 full. After 24 hours if the buds are too soft / not dry enough set them out in a paper sack for a while. Do not over dry. You really can't go back and add moisture and still have a proper cure.
    When down to 25% moisture content jar it up. Open the container to the air once or twice a day for an hour or so. Once near crispy dry open container less often and for a few minutes. Go for 8-10% moisture by weight. A few weeks to a few months will properly cure the buds. Some strains take a long cure, others seem the same after they are dry.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Dutch Pimp

Dutch Pimp Up in Smoke

all that should work just fine..:thumbsupold:...dry slow as possible, I don't recommend a fan, unless it's real humid.
    Even then; indirect fan blowing.
    Going into jars... a humidity gauge inside the jar will tell you the status of dried for curing. 60% is perfect. IMG_0445.JPG

• Like Like x 4
  4. lynnslaw84

lynnslaw84 Registered+

Thanks very much for the help! Unfortunately I do not have a humidity gauge yet as this years' plant was a bit of a wonderful fluke (will definitely invest in one for next season, looks like I can grab one from Amazon)

I think today is the day. Shes 100% milky with a few ambers which is what we were aiming for. Plus its gotten very cold where we live, so I dont want to risk frost or shocking her from prolonged cold temps.

Sounds like hanging in the basement is probably best as its not too hot or too cold (I read that if you cant tell if air is dry or humid, its probably an okay humidity level, which is how i would describe most of our home (aside from upstairs)

Should I chop the whole plant and dry whole, or cut off some of the larger branches so things are more separated? I read that its best to have space between buds so there is not much moisture and good air circulation. I'll use the rule "drying is finished when small stems start to snap instead of bend." to know when its ready to start to cure.

For the simplest cure (that I read about anyways) says to put buds in quart-sized glass mason jars for 1-2 weeks and to open the jars once a day for a minute or two. (if the bud feel wet then i'll leave the lid off jar for an hour or two until they feel dry again)

Hopefully all this sounds good! I think this whole growing thing is alot of trial and error and what works best for you personally, as everything I've read along this process seems to be very different (and what some people swear by, others say never to do lol)

Thanks again! Wish me luck :)

• Like Like x 1
  5. lynnslaw84

lynnslaw84 Registered+

Ps I just ordered a mini digital hygrometer but I dont think it will arrive in time for this harvests' cure, but fingers crossed!

6. Dutch Pimp

Dutch Pimp Up in Smoke

user12707_pic798290_1323195842.jpg
    once in the jar...it takes 24-48hours for the gauge to read the correct % in the jar

70%...burp the jar...below 55%..too dry.. do not burp...55-65% just let it cure :thumbsupold:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. DirtyBlueGene

DirtyBlueGene Registered+

Did you take any pics just before the chop?

Just follow Dutch's advice on the curing and you should be golden. You might as well set aside a lil' nug to dry as a tester, eh. eyebrows.gif

Have you considered indoor growing during our dreary winter season?

8. lynnslaw84

lynnslaw84 Registered+

I did yep, but my face is in them so I wont be posting those here lol Thinking back, I should have taken one on her own (duh me lol)

Yes! We have a little tester that I'm just letting dry on the counter :) I'm hoping the whole plant will be ready to clip and begin curing next weekend.

I have thought about it yeah. You do indoors? I should start to search for "indoor growing for dummies" lol. I think we would just want to do a couple. Any reco's on where to order good/reliable seeds?

I will post some pics when shes dry and ready for cure. I'm very curious to see how much we end up with once dry. Since im a newbie, its hard to gauge for me. I'm sure i'll get a keener eye for that sorta thing over time :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. Dutch Pimp

Dutch Pimp Up in Smoke

Any reco's on where to order good/reliable seeds?

Herbies :thumbsupold:...they have a forum, here

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. DirtyBlueGene

I only do indoors currently, and only two plants at a time in a 2X4X5 grow tent, scrog style. A few years ago, I let someone grow a single auto in a pot in my yard and the smell kept me up at night during the final three weeks. I would imagine one could smell it from the street, and they probably could, lol. :eek:

Herbies would be my first choice for seeds, absolutely. You can spend hours looking around on their website as there are so many options there. If for any reason you want to avoid an international shipment, then http://www.gtaseedbank.ca/index.html might be the way to go. I haven't ordered from GTAseedbank yet, I used to go to the retail store location, which is now closed.

All the info you'll need on indoor growing is right here on this website.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. lynnslaw84

lynnslaw84 Registered+

So shes been hanging for 5 days and I can tell shes definitely drying (shes shrinking in size and feels dryer to the touch)

Other than small branches snapping vs bending, any other indicators? I dont want to over dry her.

Thanks!

12. Dutch Pimp

Dutch Pimp Up in Smoke

that bending & snapping stems is a poor way to know if it's dry enough or too dry...IMO

If it's a small plant/buds?...it probably ready to go in a jar. You can always burp it in the jar.
    5 days should be plenty for a small/medium plant.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Shovelhandle

Shovelhandle Registered+

when the buds are still on the branch the buds will seem dry and if the branch is still 'bendable' . The bud likely still has extra moisture in it. And when placed into a seal container for a day will actually soften up quite a bit. It takes a bit of experience to know when the buds are dry outside but still moist inside. And the branch is often a fair indicator of that. If they are placed in the jar still soft it helps to 'burp' the jars good and often. I tend to take them out of the jar and into a paper sack for a day and try the jar again.

Just my .02

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. lynnslaw84

lynnslaw84 Registered+

Thanks both! She is a small plant (just 3 feet and not super super hardy) I think we are going to clip her and jar her tonight. Her outside sugar leaves feel dry to the touch (i can hear it) but the branch still bends.

We'll burp the jars and really pay attention to that (Im going to research that a bit more right now)

The hygrometer is not here yet (wont arrive for a bit still sadly) so I'll just have to judge by touch/moisture on the jar etc

It seems this is the hardest part of the whole thing! lol

15. DirtyBlueGene

Both those fellas gave you good advice, I have nothing to add except to say that 3 weeks down the road the buds should really get tastey and even better later. Nice job on your first grow, congratz! :doublethumbs:

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  16. lynnslaw84

lynnslaw84 Registered+

thank you! we harvested her last night and put her in mason jars to cure. not fully dry yet but got about 1.5oz from her. not too shabby from our very first (accidental) grow from a bag seed lol

thanks again for all of your guidance along the way. going to get some seeds and try my hand at 3 or 4 next spring! :)

• Like Like x 1
  17. lynnslaw84

lynnslaw84 Registered+

just wanted to say hi! we ended up just shy of 1.5 from her :)

shes been curing nearly two weeks and no longer smells of grass clippings. starting to smell sweet and fruity!

• Like Like x 4
  18. DirtyBlueGene

1.5 is pretty good for your first. :thumbsup: Now, if you had used a bigger pot or planted straight into the ground........imagine the possibilities. ;):cool::D