First grow since 1981. White widow/Bubblegum

Discussion in 'Grow Log' started by TomSawyer2112, Apr 26, 2018.

1. TomSawyer2112

TomSawyer2112 Registered+

Moved the tomato plants over under the COB today and put the seedlings under the homemade white LED light bar where there was less intensity of heat. They will still stay warm but they won’t have to get the intensity. The tomato plants look really good from being under those white LED lights so maybe the seedlings will enjoy some 2850 light for a while. I gave all the plants just a damping sip by spraying some water on the surface soil but I didn’t go so far as to create runoff.
    Here’s B.B. and W.W. this afternoon.
    74252CA8-C98B-4678-8B73-6449D488F712.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  2. TomSawyer2112

So it seems like my seedlings have kinda stalled. The WW is 1” tall and the B.B. is about 5/8” tall and they are just hovering. Is it possible that they may just be using this time to establish their roots so all activity is below the surface for now? Or do I need to do something else?

• Like Like x 1
  3. TomSawyer2112

Thirsty little devils today. Gave them a good soaking until the water drained out of the holes in the cup. Lightly and gently squeezed the cup to loosen the soil then gave them another drink. Removed the runoff to prevent humidity issues. Look at these E53AD04D-556B-4F46-BAF1-2D127DCF2E94.jpeg
    Cutie Pies.
    Upper is white widow Fem and lower is the Bubblegum.
    I think they like Steely Dan music.

• Like Like x 1
  4. TomSawyer2112

I’m not going to post pics tonight. But the girls are doing pretty good. I think WW has grown about a 1/2” and B.B. is getting a bit taller and widening out. WW has secondary leaves coming in now. Temps remain about 79-82 degrees and humidity is around 50% the fan is kicking on periodically and bringing in fresh air from outside. It stormed most of the day today so outside air is a bit more humid than usual.
    I’m beginning to wonder.
    Should I start them on an 18-6 lighting program now or wait? If I need to wait, how long?

5. Wagonweed

Wagonweed Registered+

You can do two weeks 24hrs then drop down to 18/6 for the rest of veg.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. TomSawyer2112

Thank you.

7. TomSawyer2112

15C25842-93C7-453C-A20C-E6CC90F2B2F9.jpeg
    This morning.
    My babies.
    WW above and B.B. below.

• Like Like x 1
  8. TomSawyer2112

3B93032B-FDF2-40FA-944D-F0D3023E1C82.jpeg

I’ve been looking at my past pics and I’ve decided that those little scars are my fault. From now on, I’m not going to put my seedlings under LED for at least two weeks. At least not This LED. Note how the new growth looks fine. And the B.B. isn’t burned either. It hadn’t fully germinated when the WW got its little sun burn. Hopefully, it will be okay.

• Like Like x 1
  9. DirtyBlueGene

DirtyBlueGene Registered+

I have used two types of LED panels thus far, the older multi-diode type (blurple, as the kids say) and currently cob panel. With either I found it to be too harsh for seedlings and I prefer CFL for the first two weeks. With CFL I can really get close with a couple of bulbs and also provide warmth, while knowing the light will never be too intense but always adequate. After two weeks or so I put them under LED at 24 to 30 inches for a few days to adjust to the change in lighting. This is just my personal experience, so your and other's experience may vary for a number of reasons.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. TomSawyer2112

BDD0839B-2CF8-44D9-A8AC-B4A200EE86A9.jpeg
    Sorry for not posting an update in a few days but it’s really been busy here. The babies look pretty good this afternoon. Just gave them some water and took them for a little walk to the kitchen window while I checked up on my tomatoes. I honestly think I’m going to have to keep the tomatoes outside but I know the crows and grasshoppers will get them if I do. As you can see, the White Widow got a bit of LED burn a while back but it’s doing okay for now. The Bubblegum is just poking along. I turned the plants today and swapped sides and put the WW on the other side of the tray and moved the B.B. to the other side. It looks like the B.B. was reaching for the LED side of the tent. I want to see if the WW reaches for that LED light. If she does, then I will totally swap out the plants and put the tomatoes under the white LED or outside and go ahead and replant the girls in one gallon pots and put them directly under the LED side of the tent.
    No. I’m not using nutrients. I want to see if the FF OF soil will meet my plants needs. But Gene is right. Seedlings need a mellow 2700-2850 type light for the first two or three weeks. I won’t screw that up again.

11. TomSawyer2112

Transplanted to 1 gallon canvas pots today. WW is really doing well in spite of the damage. B.B. is doing well too. 18247851-FD98-4C37-9920-468B055978B7.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  12. TomSawyer2112

5B807D46-5111-4F8A-BBDB-0B5DF8CF7648.jpeg
    Put them under the Mac Bloom LED COB yesterday. Took a picture of them tonight. WOW. The WW is on the left. BB on the right. They really had a growth spurt in just 24 hours.

• Like Like x 1
  13. DirtyBlueGene

They are about to get into a rapid growth mode, always fun to observe. :)

• Like Like x 1
  14. TomSawyer2112

AB3B0937-1337-4C19-9A8B-EDBFDEA1B380.jpeg
    Rearranged things in the tent a bit today. Here’s a New pic. WW on top and B.B. on the bottom. Added another fan. Repotted the tomatoes again. I’m about ready to put those things on the screened in porch at the fishing camp. They are taking over. WW is spreading out really good. BB leaves are getting fat! These look like they may be short and squatty so I’ve been doing a bit of research on scrogging. Plenty of info in the books I’ve got plus you guys and gals. IMO, if I have found this group first before I bought the books, I would have never really needed the books. But they do have some good info and being indexed, I can find stuff quicker in a book sometimes. Anyway.
    The girls are really taking off now.

• Like Like x 1
  15. TomSawyer2112

I have a question on these new hibrid strains. Gurus please respond.
    Is it normal for my seedlings to only have 3 leaves at the point? Look at my past pics. I seem to remember the bag seed seedlings that I was growing back in the 70s/80s would have five by now. (17 days after germ). Is something wrong?

16. TomSawyer2112

BDB39B5D-C856-46B5-A3EC-C4221C1DB5E9.jpeg
    Here’s today’s pic. Please help.

17. TomSawyer2112

18. Dutch Pimp

Dutch Pimp Up in Smoke

I don't see a problem. Different genetics have different leaf patterns.
    As long as new growth does well; old leaves are old news.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. TomSawyer2112

What I find strange, this is two different strains. White widow and bubblegum. One is a 6040 the other is a 50-50. Yet they both have three leaf patterns. Wtf

20. DirtyBlueGene

Patience, brother. chuckle.gif

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1