First grow since 1981. White widow/Bubblegum

Discussion in 'Grow Log' started by TomSawyer2112, Apr 26, 2018.

1. TomSawyer2112

TomSawyer2112 Registered+

Yeah. That white widow sure looks dense. Better than most of that spindly stuff we grew out in the woods back in the old days.
    It seems like the fans blowing on them really motivate them to grow.
    Thanks for the reassurance.

• Like Like x 1
  2. emilya

emilya Future Dispensary Owner

The 3 leaf thing is nothing to worry about and is actually quite cool to work with. The more and more we bend and blend these genetics, the more mutations like this we will see. As far as the 3 leaved plant is concerned, she is perfectly normal, and you will find that 2 of those branches become dominant while the other one fails to fully develop. It is nothing to worry about however, this is what a tri-leaved plant does in a binary world. Watch your plant figure out which two nodes are dominant and the cool thing is that your first split (the usual result of the first topping) is already done. These 3 leaved plants are very easy to turn into a hugely productive bush with 20 or more bud sites going into flower. Top early and often with these plants and you will find that they can become superior producers.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. TomSawyer2112

Looking at the Bubblegum seedling it looks like it’s split off too. God I hope I don’t botch this up. Meanwhile I’ve been doing further testing of my water and my PPM is around 450-480. Out of the tap it’s running around 7.3-7.5PH so I’m adjusting it down to around 6.2-6.5. I haven’t used any nutes. But I collect the run off when I watered them and run the run off through a coffee filter. Then I use the “tea” to water and also put it in a spray bottle. The tomato plants that were in the tent have been taken to the cabin and they are outside now. Boy they have exploded with vegetative growth.

4. TomSawyer2112

Here’s the Bubblegum.
    B6A2E374-F647-44CA-9DF8-6E352BEEF4F0.jpeg

5. TomSawyer2112

D4FD03D5-2296-4FF2-B646-EB6EAC712713.jpeg
    Here’s the White Widow.

6. emilya

if you wish to scare yourself a bit, measure the pH of that runoff water. You shouldn't run that runoff back through the plants or spray them with it... just throw it out, or better yet, water more slowly so you don't get so much runoff.

7. TomSawyer2112

I actually did sample the run off and it was around 6.2PH.
    But okay. I’ll not do that anymore.
    I have three ways that I test PH. I have sticks for day to day work, a PH meter for sampling larger amounts and to cross check other PH measuring methods plus I have a simpler water dye test method. I don’t trust that one. I also have a turbidity meter. And if I suspect any of my gear is out of spec, I will take them to work and do comparative tests with our high dollar lab gear.

• Like Like x 1
  8. emilya

The other reason not to reuse the runoff, even if a buffered soil keeps the pH in the proper range, is found when you stop to consider the waste elements that are floating in the soil. Every time a chemical nutrient breaks its salt bonds you get a load of salt added to the soil as debris from the chemical reaction. This salt accumulates and stays in the soil until it gets flushed out and accumulated salt restricts the root system and the ability of the plant to uptake water with its dissolved nutrients. This is the primary reason that people using synthetic nutrients need to flush their containers at least 3 times during the grow cycle, because the salt can end up totally shutting down the root system over time.
    The other enemy in a container is carbon. Each breaking down of a molecule produces a bit of carbon. The carbon builds in your soil as a dark sludge that really performs no useful function other than to clog the soil with useless debris that also restricts the ability of the roots to develop. A lot of the black stuff that comes out during a flush isn't dirt, it is accumulated carbon, and quite a bit of it is produced.
    Knowing that buildups of these unwanted compounds can be harmful to a grow illustrates why pouring this stuff back through negates any benefit gained by allowing a bit of runoff so that you flush the system a bit at each watering. Pouring that salty sludge back in just further concentrates both the carbon and the salts, drastically shortening the time when it will be necessary to do a complete 3x flush, just to save the life of the plants.

9. TomSawyer2112

Okay. That makes tons of sense. And let me clarify. I wasnt recycling “old” standing runoff that had been at the bottom for days. What I did was make a fresh jug of water, adjust it to my PH preferences then watered my girls. What ran off from that watering I collected immediately, strained, then put in another jug and took it to the tomato plants which are now outside. Since they are now separated, that just gives me more reason to just stop the extra effort. But yes, I can see where the runoff could actually “poison” your plants.
    Also, I have not used any nutes on either my girls or the tomato plants. May wait another two weeks before that starts. I’ll probably be using Fox Farms big bloom. And I’m open to other options. (Except junk from Walmart). LOL. I just figured since I was using fox farms soil, it would be best to stick with their products.

10. emilya

That is why they call me Sense Emilya :) Common sense goes a long way in the garden.
    Confirming the highly buffered FoxFarm soil does explain the pH measurements. I agree that you should use all of their products and keep things within the tightly controlled environment that the highly paid scientists at Fox Labs have designed for you in order to get the BEST results from these products. You have hit on the secret weapon that many growers have realized... If you buy ALL of their products you end up with a superior grow. I would say that a bare minimum when dealing with this "system" is to go with the 3 liquids AND the 3 solubles. There are a quite a few more products that are worth a look too... and some come with a prerequisite of experience in growing this plant. I say all this because you only mentioned Big Bloom... you need the others in your mix too, or your plants will end up with deficiencies.
    I leave you with a little more common sense. Since you seem to be wanting to super charge those tomatoes, instead of trying to do it magically with runoff, what's it going to cost to just mix up a bit more FoxNutes and feed them properly? Outdoor concentrations are a bit higher than you would use indoors... but challenge yourself. See what FoxNutes can do, and try to grow some prize tomatoes too!

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. TomSawyer2112

Yep. I was gonna do exactly that. The tomatoes were actually “The Guinea pigs” for my lights at first. They literally took off under both the MaxBloom and my homemade contraption. Right now they are so heavy, I’ve had to use sticks to support them. They went crazy vegging under that MaxBloom. Now they are outside and in a 2 gallon canvas pot. The seem to transplant with almost zero visible shock. Same for the girls. They actually had a spurt within 24 hours of transplanting to their 1 gallon pots.
    As for the nutes, I didn’t want to get too extravagant with my first grows so I haven’t gotten any other nutes yet. I want to see how they do with minimal fertilizer first. (Keep it simple). Learn what they do without nutrients first. Let them take up just what’s in the fox farm soil.
    On a different note, I saw some dirt on a leaf this morning so I wiped it off with my finger. Yes. I smelled my finger. Whoa. That Bubblegum is skunky. LOL.

12. TomSawyer2112

:rastasmoker: I’m smiling really big right now. Got back in town tonight and look at my girls now. :bananadance:
    Bubblegum Fem on top. White Widow Fem on the bottom.
    2B573A29-BA0F-4D33-B9A0-1B6DE356633D.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  13. TomSawyer2112

DBEC9E33-3ED5-48CB-A496-8F78B4B86675.jpeg This morning. Here’s Bubblegum.

14. TomSawyer2112

71409BF1-3E85-417B-8354-F5CD5D56CAF6.jpeg
    This morning. Here’s the White Widow.

• Like Like x 1
  15. TomSawyer2112

Good morning folks. Tent update. This morning, I decided to transplant to five gallon pots so here they are. They are now on the tent floor. The MaxBloom COB is 34 inches above the pots running in veg about 70 percent right now.
    So a question. Looking at the Bubblegum, should I trim off the lower older leaves that appear to be kinda stressed out so that the plant can focus its energy on the new growth? Look at the second picture and the image on the right. It also happens to be a 3 leaf growth.

CE36A3CF-0B66-4B4F-BC1F-4BD1EDE857B0.jpeg

7DB13F39-0F33-4B50-B7C8-19322FB38F85.jpeg

Oh yeah. Now I understand how growing inside means you need to have ventilation. These little girls are very..... “fragrant”. LOL.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. TomSawyer2112

Well. Disaster strikes. The clamp on the little fan failed and the fan fell right on top of the White widow. It got whacked pretty good. Trimmed as much damage off as possible and used kabob sticks to reshape and support it but right now, she is not happy. And I’m 6 ways pissed off at this fan.

17. TomSawyer2112

Just a little info for you folks looking for an LED CREE COB fixture, my light in veg mode with dimmer set at 80% at 18” below the fixture puts out 27,000 Lux. ACC38C5B-01A6-4E79-9B35-0EC6330D04A4.jpeg

18. TomSawyer2112

9996A2F1-9BF5-4204-9799-6AD653B003D6.jpeg
    Yeah. I don’t know. Should I top them out? They already look dead.

19. Dutch Pimp

Dutch Pimp Up in Smoke

cannabis repairs itself very well

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. TomSawyer2112

LOL. Wow. That one must have had a bad day too.
    Thanks for the reassurance.
    Well. I’m just gonna leave it alone. It’s gonna have to buck it up. I’ll watch those dying leaves and if they interfere I’ll snip them off.

• Like Like x 1