First grow since 1981. White widow/Bubblegum

Discussion in 'Grow Log' started by TomSawyer2112, Apr 26, 2018.

1. emilya

emilya Future Dispensary Owner

Not having looked at your picture of this "stressed out" leaf, I responded to you in PM in this way:
    I am not a fan of trimming leaves without a good reason. If a leaf is dried out to the point that it simply falls off when lightly moved, then I will remove it. This happens all the time and is not something to get alarmed about. We do drive these plants to their deaths after all, so there is going to be a little bit of a die off, especially at the end.
    That being said...
    There are many times that we trim a vegitaging plant to shape it. I will trim fan leaves that end up laying on the soil, and I will trim a lot of the growth that occurs on the inside of the bush and that will never reach the outside or the top of the canopy. Especially in the "inside" of the bush, you want good airflow and anything that isn't going to be able to get enough light to be productive should be removed. The lower 1/3 of my plants are stripped bare 3 days before going into flower so that all future effort will be to those branches that then form my canopy.
    I would never remove a leaf because it had become sick as result of something I am doing wrong with the plant. If the leaves are starting to show a specific symptom, I want to be able to track the problem's progress up the stalk or see that it is isolated to a particular area. I want to see the whole plant, and its entire way of presenting its distress to me. I want to keep the sickly leaves on the plant so that as I apply corrective measures I can clearly see if I am causing a healing effect. People get so offended by yellowing or signs of this or that deficiency, and I think because people like to take pictures of their gardens, they remove them. It may be good for the ego to do so, but it is silly for a gardener who wants to be able to communicate with his/her plants, and seen in that light it seems silly to remove the signs that the plant displays for you so as to be able to see the problem it is having. The plants can and do talk to you if you know how to look and understand. There is nothing as satisfying to see a once sickly and yellowing leaf repair itself and once again take on a healthy green because you knew exactly what the plant needed.

Having said all that, I would like to make an observation and a comment.
    The comment is that "stressed out" is a human thing, and it is assuming that plants experience the same thing... such as being stressed because it is just so hard to be a lower leaf and all that...
    There is also stress because of deficiencies, or watering incorrectly. This stress should be recognized for what it is, and corrective measures taken so that this "stress" does not travel upwards to the rest of the plant. Instead of snipping the dying leaves, let's see if we can stop them from dying, or worse yet, having the problem that they are having move up the trunk to the next set of leaves.
    So what do I think is the problem?
    Your plants are very healthy and have only the very slightest magnesium deficiency. Those lower leaves are the largest storehouses of this vital element and they are always the first to show the signs of this deficiency. Add or increase CalMag+ or a similar product in your watering regime and see what happens. See if you can notice a change in those leaves 3 or 4 days after you have made this change. If you chop them off, you will never know if you plant actually needed that boost or not. Snipping them simply moves the problem up to the next set, and there you have no way to tell yet if it was indeed magnesium.

• Like Like x 1
  2. TomSawyer2112

TomSawyer2112 Registered+

One month old now.
    DFEFCABE-CABB-4845-8180-6406E059F6C2.jpeg
    The Bubblegum is doing well and close to 12” tall now.
    2100EAC7-AE3D-4BB9-B178-60242E8836C2.jpeg
    The white widow is growing in thick.
    You can see the dead top in the middle. That’s from when the fan fell on it. But Lordy, she’s getting thick in the middle. There’s all kinds of shoots growing off the main stem. But the dead top is sort of blocking the light. I took the support sticks out today and the WW seems to be standing on her own now. Temps in the tent are running 73-88 degrees F with fans blowing and the vent system kicking on whenever the temp gets around 85 F. The lows in the tent are at night time when the light is off and it gets down to around 73F. Humidity ranges from 41%-81% and currently is at 47%.
    Today they got a good watering until I saw runoff then stopped. (1K milliliters of water each) I PHd the water down to 6.0. I tested the runoff with my PH meter. The runoff is around 6.2PH. The MaxBloom COB is running at 80% in Veg mode.

3. TomSawyer2112

82739D3A-E511-4704-B306-7DAE882B7523.jpeg
    Just an update. The white widow is recovering quite well, but it’s now growing out, not up! It’s about 7” tall. It’s turning into a bush! That fan incident killed the top leaves. They shriveled up but look at how the next growth took over. You can see one leaf is deformed. The dead stuff, I trimmed off.

Here’s another picture and you can see on the left that the Bubblegum is 13” tall now and looking really good.
    E89FFFEE-7211-41F4-A76F-57D1E8B42E8F.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  4. Buds Buddy

Buds Buddy Registered+

Hey Tom, What size grow bags are you using & how much soil did it take to fill one ? I'm getting ready to set up my 4' x 8' x 7' Tent for a fresh grow (my small tent will be harvested in about 2 weeks). I'm planning on doing 10 plants in 5 gallon grow bags but not sure how much soil I'll need to fill each bag so hoping to get a rough idea. I did purchase / order 2 - 600 watt Viparspecter LED lights yesterday plus I have 4 - 45 watt spotlight LED's & 4 - 28 watt spotlight LED's for side lighting. I hope this will be enough for the large tent. Just going to use the small tent (2' x 4' x 6') with a T-5 Sunblaze for seedlings only. Getting rid of my 600 watt MH / HPS light as it just puts out too much heat for my liking. Should have it all up & running by the end of the month.

5. TomSawyer2112

I would say 1 bag of FFOF will fill two of my 5 gallon grow bags wit just a shade to spare. So. Five bags for 10 plants would be a good start. You should have a little spare for the seedling operation if you’re using cups. But that’s sort of why I’m trying to get a handle on how many bags I’ll need for a two year operation. I plan on buying ahead. That way things around the ranch look as “dormant” at possible.
    I need to have everything stocked up. So far, my seed stock is built up enough now for at least three years. Yes. I tried Herbies. LMAO. I love those guys.

6. Buds Buddy

Buds Buddy Registered+

Thanks Tom ! Info is very helpful as I was thinking it would take a lot more & probably bought 12 bags....LOL. So when you use the FFOF are you using any nutrients any time during your grow ? I was told with that soil you don't use nutrients but just transplant at each stage. I'm wondering about using that soil but not sure about using Bud Enhancers during Flower for bigger buds. Any info on FFOF you can provide is also helpful. Not sure if they have a sterile soil out there without any nutrients in it already. Was going to do a search to find out.

• Like Like x 1
  7. TomSawyer2112

I’m not going to use nutes this round. So far the girls are doing very well without nutes.
    The only thing to really consider is PH of your water. Mine is a bit high. (Around 7.2-8.2) so PH down is a good investment.

8. Buds Buddy

Buds Buddy Registered+

So I take it you did use nutes the last time ? Did you have trouble with nute burn or any other nute problem by adding them to FFOF ? I need to find more info on this soil. Lots of people recommend it but never tell me about their grow using it & whether or not they used nutes. It reminds me of a football team that no one was for & they made it to the super bowl & all of a sudden they claim to have been a fan of the team all year long. I'm wondering if people are just jumping on the FFOF bandwagon because they heard it was good & that's why they can't tell me about adding nutes to it. They haven't actually used it....just going by what they've heard is my guess. I want to hear from those who actually use it so I can get real info from their experience with it. I don't want to spend a bunch of money...not add nutes & end up with very little yield or add nutes & end up with a bunch of nute problems. I'm sure you can understand my dilemma. Of course I want the highest yield I can possibly get (preferably a pound per plant....that's what I'm after) !!!
    Going to start a new thread on that now.

• Like Like x 1
  9. TomSawyer2112

Well. Your answer is actually in the title of this post. I’ve never used nutes and I’ve never used Fox farms until this year. I haven’t grown since 1981. Back then I lived in Louisiana swamp country so I grew outside. The plants were not remarkable but they would get you high. I spent more time buying quarter pounders and selling because I was ignorant on growing compared to what I know today. And I’m still a beginner at this point. Because it’s a whole new technology. The plants today are incredibly potent compared to the old Columbian shit I was growing.
    Here’s how I approached it. I studied the members and their posts here and on several other sites. I’ve found this site to be the most informative. I’ve also found there’s a professional atmosphere here as apposed to some of the other sources. (I will not reveal those sources as I don’t think they need the notoriety). The fact is, I’m here to make my own medicine, (cancer survivor), promote legalization and to learn things that will aid me as I invest in the cannabis industry stock market. And if I can have a little fun, make folks laugh and help folks along the way, that’s fine too.
    Unfortunately I’m new to 21st century growing. But I can tell ya this much.. emilya and weeze and the others here have helped me get started. When they teach, listen.

10. TomSawyer2112

Yes. Start a thread. These guys will help ya. Just be patient. They are sometimes slow to answer. I can’t imagine why....:S5: :Rasta::rastasmoker::baggy::bananadance::S2:

11. TomSawyer2112

D965FC08-0E7A-4904-A280-2806567AA8F3.jpeg

The Bubblegum today. I noticed she’s producing 9 leaves now.
    I know you vets are out there snickering but I’m stoked! I’ve only seen this a couple of times and that was back in the old days. And it wasn’t my grow. But now for me to do my first grow in 37 years and my first plants a producing 9 leaves and thick as bushes just makes me giddy af. Yes. I topped the Bubblegum today. I need her to spread her wings a bit and not go up much higher. Need to save that room for when I go into flowering mode.

• Like Like x 1
  12. DirtyBlueGene

DirtyBlueGene Registered+

Ha ha, wasn't that long ago you were worried about only having 3 blades, look at her now! :D

Patience is paramount, bro. She looks great right now. :thumbsupold:

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. TomSawyer2112

Yep. You were the one to tell me to be patient. I remember!:victorious::thumbsupold:

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. Buds Buddy

Buds Buddy Registered+

Yes indeed !!! Weeze, Emilya, Dutch Pimp, Iry, Yourself & a few others have been very helpful to me. They all know their stuff ... that's for sure. We'll get there over time & trial & error till we find what works best for our situation.
    I actually thought you were starting your second grow earlier. Then I noticed the dates on the thread. That's why I was asking questions about FFOF & Nutes.
    I was wondering how you finished already when we started around the same time. I still have about 2 weeks till harvest. Only have 1 plant left & I'm guessing maybe 4 oz. by what I'm seeing if it finishes up at about 1/3 rd it's weight. Just a guess though from what I've read.

15. TomSawyer2112

I’m on week 5. Going into flower in another 3 weeks I hope. Then we will see how long. I’m hoping by August to start another grow.

16. TomSawyer2112

39EA2BA0-CD1A-4EA4-9E64-9C4FA91A0AA2.jpeg
    Here’s the Bubblegum. She’s been topped and trimmed. She’s 15” tall and 5 weeks old.
    I think it’s gonna have six possible future flower sites right now.
    Some of the fan leaves are as big as my hand. I had to remove a few so that the light could reach through the plant.

17. TomSawyer2112

B3A0E1E8-9EC2-4436-AC2A-A39CE2CC645F.jpeg
    This is the white widow. She’s a bit dwarfed due to the fan incident but she’s coming along nicely. She’s now a very thick and wide 8” tall. She’s. Also 5 weeks old. I think she’s about to do a stretch again so hopefully, she will get some height within the next three weeks. That’s when we flip over to flower mode for both plants.

18. TomSawyer2112

577CF0D7-C46F-4C95-91B9-090DECBF70EB.jpeg This is my Bubblegum today. What’s up with the leaves?
    Overall she looks fantastic but closer inspection and I’m seeing a couple of leaves curling and a couple of tips turning brown and one leave has a brown streak on it. I water every 3 days. PH is around 6.2-6.5.
    My white widow doesn’t exhibit these signs and they get the same water.

• Like Like x 1
  19. TomSawyer2112

C237C43B-DE73-40A2-982C-99498A79FD90.jpeg
    Here’s the White Widow.

• Like Like x 1
  20. DirtyBlueGene

DirtyBlueGene Registered+

Not at all sure about the streaks and spots on the BG, though did note that she would be twice as close to the light as the WW. Will think on it for a bit.

• Like Like x 1