Homemade Co2 Generator Question

Discussion in 'DIY / How To Methods' started by Buds Buddy, May 4, 2018.

1. Buds Buddy

Buds Buddy Registered+

OK...I was watching some video's on making a Homemade Co2 Generator. They used a 5 Gallon Bucket with a Lid, an Aquarium Fish Pump, Aquarium Heater & of course Hose. Inside the Bucket they mixed Water, Sugar & Yeast to create the Co2. It's interesting for sure....but has anyone here ever made a Co2 Generator & if so...
    1) Did it work ?
    2) What size did you make ?
    3) How Long does it last & how often do you have to add or replace the ingredients ?

Very interested in this if it works so any & all info is welcomed.....Thanks !!!

2. Buds Buddy

Buds Buddy Registered+

Anybody made one ???

3. DirtyBlueGene

DirtyBlueGene Registered+

I haven't bothered with it, not so sure there would be any noticeable benefit to a small grow with effective ventilation.

4. Buds Buddy

Buds Buddy Registered+

I'm curious about it so bought the stuff to make it. Only $25 for everything so going to give it a shot. Next grow will be 10 Plants in a 5.5'x5.5' x 7' tent Scrog Style so it may help some with 10 plants using up Co2. Maybe not ??? For $25 though....may as well try it.
    Doesn't seem anyone here has done it or at least no responses as of yet from anyone who has. I'll post my results when I know what they are.

5. Buds Buddy

Buds Buddy Registered+

I made it. Now to find a place that sells Champagne Yeast as they say it produces the most Co2.

6. Weezard

Weezard Registered+

Of course there's people here who have done it.

ksrn wine.JPG
    Making pomegranate/blueberry wine.
    Because - "All things, in moderation".

You should know that CO2 requires ducks in a row.
    Unless all of your plants needs are met, and temperatures are on the high end, there will be no benefit from added CO2.
    However, once those conditions are met, using yeast/sugar, is a piece of cake.
    But, think about it a while. When the fermentation is complete, you will have a small mess to address.
    I will have 5 gallons of surprisingly good wine.
    (Seriously, years later, I have neighbors trying to bum another bottle. )

Have also made mead from coffee flower honey.
    Just dilute the honey ~ 5:1 with tap water. Toss in some D47 Lavlin yeast.
    You can order it from any brewer's supply, dirt cheap.

I attached a 1/4" hose to the CO2 airlock and ran it under the house to the grow room. You can start a new bucket every 30 days and have more than enough CO2. Not to mention the home-brewed inebriants .

If you have a space that can be cooled to 60° F. brew wine.
    If best you can get is room temps, brew mead.

Don't drink, not enough friends?
    You can distill off the ethanol and use it to extract RSO. Mead hits 20% by volume.
    We waste nothing here, yah?

Carry on.
    Weeze

7. Buds Buddy

Buds Buddy Registered+

This is really funny. I was telling the wife I should add some fruit to the yeast & sugar & make hootch at the same time. I just wasn't sure if the fruit would effect the Co2 being generated. Adding some apples & raisins sounds really good as I haven't made any apple cinnamon raisin jack in over 20 years. About a 16 oz. glass & you're on your a_z !!!

8. emilya

emilya Future Dispensary Owner

I second Weez's advice... learn how to grow the plants first and fine tune whichever method you decide on, before you start experimenting with a heavy gas that can kill you. The minimal benefits gained in an untuned grow are not worth the potential risks or expense/hassle of creating extra co2