How far should i keep my 1000w MH lights above my new clones?

Discussion in 'Indoor Growing' started by santacruz_organic, Oct 5, 2006.

1. santacruz_organic

santacruz_organic Registered+

How far should i keep my 1000w MH lights above my new clones?

2. faithlessxxx

faithlessxxx Registered+

Far!
    New clones must be treated tenderly, they probably don't even want to be under such a lamp for the first week.

3. santacruz_organic

here is the set up

Attached Files:

4. santacruz_organic

any help is needed

5. faithlessxxx

faithlessxxx Registered+

Looks great, I'd love to have that, but be careful with the clones, they're all stressed out and weak at the moment.

6. santacruz_organic

but how far is far faithlessxxxx?

7. faithlessxxx

faithlessxxx Registered+

Measure the temp at the plants, and keep it not more than 30C at the most, try to stay around 25C, distance probably between 30 - 40cm.

8. santacruz_organic

its around 77f at all times due to air circulation no matter how far the lights are

9. faithlessxxx

faithlessxxx Registered+

Great! usually the recommendation is around 30-40cm, but I wouldn't dare do that until maybe the second week of the clones lives.
    I've never cloned, though I'm about to, but have read up loads on it.
    Maybe someone who does it will help you more.
    They seem to be at a pretty reasonable height from the pics.
    Good luck, and I'm mighty jealous of your room ;)

10. santacruz_organic

look at the problems w/ the plants im having

Attached Files:

11. faithlessxxx

faithlessxxx Registered+

Thats burns, either from the lamp or from too much nutrients (too early).
    I'd guess you're giving them too much power, light or nutes, too early.
    On the other hand, clones always look weak the first weak apparently.

http://www.weedfarmer.com/cannabis/plant_abuse_guide.php

12. santacruz_organic

i fed them once with npk ratio @ 5:5:5 half of the amount it set at the bottle.

13. faithlessxxx

faithlessxxx Registered+

Yes, but your soil has ferts, doesn't it? Takes 3-4 weeks for the ferts in soil to get used up.
    You're stressing them, treat them like a patient with a cold, no exercise, no hot curries, just soft lights and water.
    Check that link for nute or heat burns, you have one or maybe both.
    Otherwise they're looking nice to me ;)

14. santacruz_organic

thanks faithlessxxx! now all i do is wait, i will add you to my buddylist and keep you posted, how are your plants doing?

15. faithlessxxx

faithlessxxx Registered+

:)

I've got one approaching flowering, she's doing great (my avatar), sh'es 42cm of thick bush, but I've tied her down to 24cm to train her side branches up, so that I now have 8 roughly equal tops (called LST).
    I'm going to cover one branch tonite with blasck paper to speed things up. If she's a girl, which if course she is, I'm cloning her ass :thumbsup: and flowering and smoking her poor remains - if she's not, which she is, I have 6 seedlings just a few weeks behind her, and once I find that elusive female, I'll be cloning 24/7.
    Some of us, unlike you, have to start from seeds :mad:

Last edited: Oct 5, 2006
  16. faithlessxxx

faithlessxxx Registered+

Maybe some people would suggest covering them with a plastic bag for humidity, but I'll leave that to someone more in the know.

17. santacruz_organic

ive been growing from seeds for the last 4 years outdoor, this my first clone and indoor experiment.

18. Tom Green Thumb

Tom Green Thumb Registered+

I have had clones under a 1000 watt HPS and they came out 100%. You just have to keep the HPS very high above them. I'd say a good five feet. Just an estimate, but you get the picture. It is a terrible waste of electricity though but is acceptable if you have other plants at different stages, but that is obvious and you probably didn't need to be told that. Anyways, good luck!

TGT

Last edited: Oct 6, 2006
  19. faithlessxxx

faithlessxxx Registered+

You'll be better off listening to TGT whos actually done what you're doing, of course. But I'm curious, 5 feet for a 1 000HPS? Is that correct? Why would that be better if the temp at the plants is 75 at 20"?

20. santacruz_organic

I am getting different answers from everyone. i think my plants are still in shock either from the transplant or from the nutrient/heat burn, they havent been growing since sat. when i got them. right now they are about 3 ft above my plants.