How long should a 4 inch carbon filter last?

Discussion in 'Indoor Growing' started by PodBoy, Jun 10, 2018.

1. PodBoy

PodBoy Registered+

I have 2 plants and got one complete grow and then got to the end of flowering of the second (about 9 months after initial installation) and it started to STINK bad! Just swapped it out with my on hand spare.
    I've heard they last much longer than that, and I know the 4 inch jobs are smaller, but I had to use the 4 inch because of my setup.

Should I just plan on swapping these out with each grow, or do we think I got a bad filter the first time around? I was hoping to get at least two out of each since my setup is so small, but happy to do what I've got to to keep under the radar and don't want to end up in the same situation again!

Thanks!

2. EvilCartman

EvilCartman Registered+

I would expect to get at least a year out of a filter. I've been running 6" x 24"s in 4x4 tents, and they are good for a solid two years.

Extremely smelly plants can overwhelm a filter that's borderline for the airflow required, and 4" doesn't leave a lot of wiggle-room.
    If humidity is on the high-side, that will shorten the filters life, as well.

I don't think you got a bad one. If you can't go bigger, watch your humidity levels and run on the low side, and keep a spare on hand. :jointsmiley:

3. PodBoy

PodBoy Registered+

Yea, it's been really humid this spring, so between that, the small size, the super skunk I'm growing, I expect that was the issue. Swapped it out and all seems A-OK now.
    One other question, with the size and humidity, would you recommend I run the fan top speed, or slow speed? It seems to move a lot of air, so I'd always left it at the lowest speed, but I can crank it up a bit if that'd be better...?
    Thanks again!

4. EvilCartman

EvilCartman Registered+

In terms of filtering effectiveness, your on track. The lowest speed that maintains your environment is best.
    You may want to play with it, sometimes more flow can lower the RH, depending on the ambient. ;)