How to KILL powdery mildew

Discussion in 'Plant Problems' started by WashougalWonder, Feb 10, 2018.

1. WashougalWonder

WashougalWonder Registered+

As those of us with the education know, powdery mildew (PM) is actually a systemic 'in the plant' disease that the plant can carry from generation to generation in a cloning operation.

I am faced with an original white widow with confirmed THC content of 33%. I would rather not kill her, but she has PM. I can keep it at bay using Nukem and Neem, depending on the stage. Unfortunately it has now penetrated almost all of my unique species. The only one I cannot replace is the White Widow. I have ordered seeds that are not feminized, but who can tell if they are from the original strain.

My plans are to kill my entire garden and sterilize. Restart anew from seed and go from there. What I really would prefer is a way to kill the PM from the Widow, whom I can isolate to make sure before allowing contact to the new sterile garden.

It has been said a product called Eagle 20 will kill it but one cannot consume the plant for a several week cycle, which again I can accomplish if it kills the PM. I can get product with the same formulary as Eagle 20 so it doesn't have to be exactly that brand.

Sulfur is not applicable in my situation and, reports are unclear if it really works anyhow.

Please present known ways to kill PM along with time before consumption, rate of cure, info about later consumption.

(I made the cardinal mistake and accepted a plant from another garden and it had PM.)

2. oldmac

oldmac Registered+

Hey WW,
    I am old and there for old school, my go to for PM was sulfur pots. But I could not give you any type of guarantee
    on your success with it. Plus sulfur and any type of chemical plant spray should make you pass on consumption.
    And you said it did not fit your situation. skip that then.
    If you want to save that strain, how about forcing it to hermie to make seeds? IMO the chance of having PM in
    the next gen is less then 50%. Worth a shot for a white widow with that THC level, I'm jealous. My favorite strain.
    Hope someone has a better idea for PM treatment, good luck.
    OM

3. WashougalWonder

OM, I have been trying to get her to herm for over a year without success, she is so damn stable. Been awhile glad to see you are still around.

4. oldmac

oldmac Registered+

Ain't it a bitch, some girl plants will hermie if you look at them cross eyed, others are stubborn.
    I know recently there was some discussion about the use of CS (colloidal silver) by Emmy. I have been successful
    with it
    in getting an auto flowering strain to herm in order to produce seed. Just took poisoning a plant a day, for a month, to find the sweet spot
    I'm glad to be back, and healthy enough to be able to type on my own. Gets frustrating when someone else has to do
    all most everything for you. Oh well, there is a cure for old age but I'll pass for now. OM

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. Weezard

Weezard Registered+

I'd pass on the Eagle 20. It releases cyanide when it's heated. That's why it's banned for Tobacco .

Somebody recommended Procid to me. Thought it a little pricey, but gave it a shot.

It keeps the PM at bay better than coriander oil or Potassium Bicarbonate.
    So I read the label. It's 99% water with Citric acid as the only ingredient.
    The idea is to lower the PH of the leaf surface to prevent the PM from blooming.
    I have plenty of water, so I bought a pound of Citric acid and re-used the Procid sprayer.
    That pound was dirt cheap and should last me several lifetimes. :D

6. WashougalWonder

Weez, Nukem has the same stuff. I can keep it at bay using that once a week.
    Guess I will have to search out Em's threads on Colloidal silver and how to use it. I really want to kill the PM, not just keep it at bay. Glad you are feeling better.

7. WashougalWonder

Weezard, also, I could let the plant go thru several grow sessions to not have to worry about the Eagle 20 during consumption

8. emilya

emilya Future Dispensary Owner

Really great to see you OldMac! Glad you had some success with the CS!

9. oldmac

oldmac Registered+

Great to be seen! CS is the second drug of choice if my favorite chem poison does not work.
    My first choice to poison a plant is Aspirin. "Take two aspirins and call me hermie in the morning!"

• Like Like x 1
  10. Weezard

Weezard Registered+

Hat's off to ya.
    You have more patience dan me.

Harvesting to me is like opening Christmas presents.
    Been waiting months for the first taste of a pheno.
    I'd miss that. :)

@oldmac;
    Aspirin you say?!
    For sex reversal?
    'tings ah nevah know.
    Details please.

Aloha,
    Weeze

11. WashougalWonder

Weezard, Not a question of patience, I have to kill the garden anyhow, am stockpiling enough product to exist without restrictions for 6 months while I kill, sterilize, start anew on all of my plants. I have AK47 seeds, PF seeds, PFAK seeds, Amherst sour diesel x AK47. I have a black buddah that is very as in almost totally resistant to PM so will treat that too.

Yesterday in my research, I found some information on other chemicals that work better than eagle 20, so will look at each for ingreedients and go from there. And, then again, getting WW seeds and getting a male and fertilizing the original is the last resort, which I will do regardless.

Good to see so many of my old friends are still here. It is a much better site now that it is cleaned up.

• Like Like x 1
  12. WashougalWonder

I researched a list and these are supposedly more effective.
    Tebuconazole
    Triflumizole
    Fenarimol
    Azoxystrobin
    Trifloxystrobin
    Kresoxim-Methyl
    Pryaclostrobin/Boscalid
    Bacillus Pumilis
    Bacillus Subtilis
    Harpin Protein
    GABA/L-Glutamic Acid
    Narrow Range Oil
    Quinoxyfen

I did not include trade names. Any decent farm supply store should have some of these.