How to use Google instead of built-in search to search the forums

Discussion in 'CANNABIS.COM Lounge' started by Splifted, Nov 24, 2006.

1. Splifted

Splifted Registered+

Since we all know the search feature on this (and all bulletin boards) is pretty limited, here is a way to use google as your cannabis.com search engine.

First: Open Google

Second: Type whatever you want to search for in the box. Lets say our search is going to be for "Low Stress Training"

Third: After you type what you're searching for, put a space, then type "site:http://boards.cannabis.com". (yes, you can use it for other sites, simply change the URL)

Thats it. So in summary, to use google to search for low stress training on the boards, you would type "Low stress training site:http://boards.cannabis.com"

Here is a link to the results you would get for such a search. Search Results

• Like Like x 8
  2. Frivolous248

Frivolous248 Registered+

Thank you! The search on the forums doesn't always work that great for me. I can type in "new bubbler" and the thread I'm looking for won't even be on the first page some times! Even when "New Bubbler :D" is the thread name!

• Like Like x 1
  3. JaggedEdge

JaggedEdge Registered+

Haha, as much as I bitch about people not using google and the search feature I never thought about using it to search this site in place of the built in search feature. This search feature is pointless. It seems like every post shows up in it no matter what you type into it.

4. DannyMan

DannyMan Registered+

wooh good info splifted !

that is going to be useful

:greenthumb:

5. orangeman

orangeman Banned

Wow, I never thought to use the "site:" function to search Cannabis.com! Genius idea Splifted :thumbsup:

6. smoke it

smoke it Registered+

Nice idea, thanks dude

7. D.Boone

D.Boone Registered+

cheers great stuff there i never knew you could do this until now. :thumbsup:
    funny thing is when you click on the search results link the number one search result for low stress training is this post.

8. BabySnookums

BabySnookums Registered+

lol maybe this should be stickied for noobs.... :confused:

9. NightProwler

NightProwler Registered+

oh never mind i just made a pointless post but now ive edited it so you cant read my stupidity

10. Splifted

Splifted Registered+

Lol, it is. It wasn't when i posted that link, thats funny.

11. Blunt420

Blunt420 Registered+

thanks for the info

12. Grape Ape

Grape Ape Registered+

Good thing that this thread is Stickied, good info Splif.

13. sfstreetphotography

sfstreetphotography Registered

Good looking out.

14. GHoSToKeR

GHoSToKeR Registered+

Thanks for the tip!

15. buddymyfriend

buddymyfriend Registered+

Cheers for the heads up!

Peace

Buddy

Ps. Good to see ya posting again Ghost!:D

16. Samwhore

Samwhore Registered+

You can also do that by clicking "Advanced Search" and putting Cannabis.com under the "[SIZE=-1]Return results from the site or domain," box.
    [/SIZE]

17. Opie Yutts

Opie Yutts Registered+

Great info. Thanks a bunch. It also works with other search engines, not just google. And don't type the quotation marks like I did the first time.

Do like this

Don't do "like this"

18. Tea Party

Tea Party Banned

How about if Cannabis.com just added the code for the Google search engine into the site? It would be at the bottom of each page with a box to check either a. search www or b. search cannabis.com This would be much easier than typing http://cann...every time a person wanted to perform a search. I mean, stoners should not have to type a web address every time they want to perform a search. The deck is stacked against us as it is:pimp:

19. OLDE ENGLISH '800

OLDE ENGLISH '800 Registered+

^ copy and paste

20. Tea Party

Tea Party Banned

"...drink it in a bottle, 40, quart, or can..."

Cut and paste is fine if you are just searching, but I usually have my clipboard full of other stuff for posting while I am searching. MULTITASK, BABY!