Hybrid CFL Vertical Barebulb/SOG Closet Grow. Am I a genius or a madman? You decide.

Discussion in 'Grow Log' started by Anonymous138, Sep 30, 2014.

1. Anonymous138

Anonymous138 Registered+

Hi everyone, I am new to the forums and wanted to share my first indoor grow with you all. I have two KC Brains Northern Light Special and a Samsara Ultraviolet Auto. I realize that I should not have grown an Auto alongside my non-auto Northern Lights, but I realized too late and at $10 or so per seed, I didn't want to waste it. I'm hoping that the 24/0 lighting schedule during vegetation will help make up for the loss in production when lighting is reduced to 12/12. For lighting I have a 250 watt 6400K overhead, a 125 watt 2700K in the center, and 3 60-85 watt 5500K lights around the outside, one for each plant. During the flowering phase I will replace the 250 watt 6400K bulb with a very deep red 250 watt 2100K CFL. I have regular mylar surrounding the grow space, I know the white backed kind is better but it was very expensive where I looked online and it was an expense I just couldn't fit into the budget. My grow space is about 3.5 square feet, total lumen output from the 580 watts of lighting is approximately 28,000. For a medium I used FF Ocean Forest, and I am using the FF trio of soil nutrients according to a slightly modified regimen found here: marijuanagrowguide.net
    Onward to ventilation: I have a 4" 100 CFM inline fan ducting in fresh cold air (I only plan to grow during the months of September-May) from outside near the base of the plants and a 4" 190 CFM exhaust fan with carbon filter ducting air from directly underneath the main light hood and into the attic walls, there is also a fairly powerful oscillating fan blowing on the plants evenly and another old clip on fan I had lying around blowing cool air upwards. Temperatures are staying between 75-85 F. Humidity around 30%-50%. One of the Northern Lights seems to be growing a little slower, and the leaves are somewhat deformed, my only theory is that it sustained some heat stress during an unusually hot day we had. More recent growth appears normal. They are about two weeks old from sprouting, growing their fifth set of leaves, and are branching like crazy. I wanted to build the most efficient grow operation possible in all aspects and my grow room eventually evolved into...this. I'm totally just shooting from the hip here and I don't really know much about SOG, but I figure at the very least the cat carrier set up in the middle will help prevent them from growing into the lights. I would love to hear some comments on my design. Does this seem like it will work well? Could it cause problems down the line that I may not be aware of? Has anyone tried anything like this before? Here are some early pics of the original setup:

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 30, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Anonymous138

Anonymous138 Registered+

Here are some pics from today after I set the cage up:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 30, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Anonymous138

Anonymous138 Registered+

Day 16: Gotta leave the girls home alone for 4 days, moved the lights up and did a little bit of LST on the branches that were big enough. Northern Light #1 continues to grow the fastest, Northern Light #2 seems to have recovered but is noticeably behind in growth, and the Samsara Ultraviolet is starting to show its 60/40 Sativa dominance growing lots of big fan leaves but not branching as much. Hopefully I won't return to any disasters in my absence, gonna flush with regular PH balanced tap water before I go.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 1, 2014
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Little Ruby

Little Ruby Registered+

Hey! Thinking outside (inside?) the box! Cool! :)

• Like Like x 1
  5. Anonymous138

Anonymous138 Registered+

320 miles away, can't help but wonder what's going on in there while I'm gone.

6. growdemon

growdemon Registered+

interesting. 3.5 square feet

way too much light for a space like that, if I were you I would put all my light across the top. otherwise you going to get short bushes and blow out of your grow space with tons of wasted room at the top.

looks more like 9 sft 3x3, with a SOG you want to grow them more vertically. so the more you top & fim the bushier they are going to get

im roughly using the same range of space, here is how I have mine setup

also you want to get rid of your red bulbs during vegging stage especially with cfl's, red bulbs also put out much much more heat, once you start to flower they will be able to with stand it better.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 4, 2014
    • Like Like x 2
  7. Anonymous138

Anonymous138 Registered+

Day 20: The girls did fine by themselves for 4 days. Gave them their Grow Big and Big Bloom when I got home. They're doing so well I decided to just simplify the design a bit, the "bud cage" is something I would like to try eventually but this being my first grow the evolving mechanics are becoming a bit daunting. Next time I won't add any red until about this stage temperature and humidity are OK and maybe it will ease their transition into flowering but I can see how it just adds unnecessary heat in early development. The grow space can adapt to the size of the plants it is just a section inside of a larger closet, I need to get some more white sheets. Also, the Ultraviolet should start flowering within a week or so according to the information I have on it and it's going to want that red light.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 5, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Anonymous138

Anonymous138 Registered+

Day 21: Expanded the grow area a little, lined it properly with white sheets behind mylar, the space is now about 2.5 ft W x 2.5 ft L x 2.5 ft H. I left the top open for heat ventilation. I also put a screen around the vertical light so they can (theoretically) grow a couple inches from it without burning or requiring constant attention. I FIM'ed Northern Light #1, did a ton of LST, and pruned some lower fan leaves that were not receiving much light on all plants.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
  9. MSETXOINCEARN

MSETXOINCEARN Registered+

Looking good there and nice job on the LST. From my experience plants usually tripple in size when the go into flower more so you dont want the to get too big before you flower them. Imo, judging by the pics, you're doing great. You also want to consoder that airflow is very important, you don't want to risk mold in there, plants need room to breath too

• Like Like x 1
  10. 2014

2014 Registered+

If you only knew all the dirty things we did when you were out of town.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Anonymous138

Anonymous138 Registered+

Day 25

The Ultraviolet has started to flower, changed its overhead bulb to a 105W 3200K adding some more red to the overall spectrum. NL #1 looks like a maypole right now but I'm expecting 10-12 branches to make it up to the canopy making 14-16 tops total. NL #2 is on the same path it's just a few days behind, put an 85W 5500K above it to help it get caught up. FIM looks great, I guess I did it right because I see 4 new tops on each plant (The autoflowering Ultraviolet will not be FIM). Most of the main fan leaves have been pruned from all plants. Going to 12/12 and swapping the 250W 6400K with a 250W 2100K as soon as all the branches that are going to make it up to the canopy reach the height of the main stems. I don't know if I'm going to use a SOG net, if I really need to, or how I would even set one up in my grow space. Installed the carbon filter today as well, I sure hope it works because the girls are already getting stinky.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 10, 2014
  12. Anonymous138

Anonymous138 Registered+

Day 27: The Flip

Well, I can't wait any longer, both literally and figuratively. If they are going to double or possibly even triple in size, then it's time to flip. I see now why you want to FIM no later than the 5th node it would take quite a while for all those branches to reach the top, I may end up pruning a couple of them if they get completely buried under the canopy. I replaced the main 250W 6400K bulb with a 250W 2100K bulb, it has a really cool almost purple visible light, the "mood" of the grow room has definitely changed. Stopped following the "low-dose" nutrient schedule and ramped it up to the FF recommended schedule, also looking into getting some additives. Hopefully the Samsara UV got enough of a head start on its life cycle from the 24/0 lighting that it will still produce a decent yield. In any event, it will be nice to have some buds ready a month or so ahead of NL 1 & 2.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  13. DTRave420

DTRave420 Registered+

I'm not crazy about the wrinkled mylar but they're lookin' healthy,stout and ready to support some bud. :)

• Like Like x 2
  14. Anonymous138

Anonymous138 Registered+

Me either DTRave, one of the unintended consequences of my grow space being an area of a much larger closet cordoned off with sheets :/ maybe in the summer I can build a box and get that mylar nice and flat.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Anonymous138

Anonymous138 Registered+

Day 29: Temperature problems

Temperature range is varying too wildly from day to night on the 12/12. I wanted to have the lights on during the day for convenience factors and so I wouldn't have to worry about light leaks, but I'm getting as low as 68 at night and as high as 90 during the day. I also wasn't planning on getting 70 degree weather in October. I'm not too sure what the best way to go about this is so I guess I'll take the safe route and give them 24 hrs of darkness to get their schedule flipped.

16. DTRave420

DTRave420 Registered+

It's said that without C02,THC production slows somewhat at temps over 80. Much more noticeably with temps over 85. It's also said that without C02,if you can't keep your temps below 90,to not even bother.
    Besides intake and outtake,AC has always been a main part of my cooling. I have 3 of em,a 25,000,a 14,000 and an 8,000 BTU's. The room that I'm currently working out of a storage shed has the 14,000 and it's more than adequate until I'm able to use cold outdoor air fanned in.
    Light leaks are a definite no no. Not sure about your cage set up but perhaps you can cover the entire cage with a large black tarp or blackout netting during "lights out"???

Last edited: Oct 14, 2014
    • Like Like x 2
  17. Anonymous138

Anonymous138 Registered+

Thanks DTRave, I abandoned the "bud cage" for now, I figured I should get a successful indoor grow under my belt before I try to revolutionize indoor Cannabis growing. ;) I guess I mostly just wanted to be able to visit with them during the day, I can hang a black blanket over the outside of the door to the closet, it's the only place even the tiniest bit of light could leak in and I'm not worried about it looking conspicuous. An AC unit would certainly be nice down the line but I'm maxed out on my budget for this project right now. I am instead depending on my intake fan bringing cold air in from outside, if it's below 60 degrees outside my temps are below 85 degrees in the closet, even now at 6 PM as the sun is just starting to go down and the temperature outside is 62 instead of 70 my temps are down to 82 degrees in the grow space. I am fairly confident that running the lights from about 8 PM to 8 AM should give me 65 to 75 degree temperatures, I'll just have to see for myself and adjust accordingly, quite a balancing act this is. After my first (hopefully) successful crop I can take some of the money I'll be saving and reinvest it into my grow.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  18. DTRave420

DTRave420 Registered+

Totally understood man. Had a rough couple of years myself 2011-2012. After 30+ years in the construction business,(28 years in the union)I had 2 operations,each a hip replacement to go on top of my existing 3 knee surgeries. Long story short,I won my case and am now collecting my pension,(100%) and social security at 50 years of age...

Wishin' all good things for ya man...

• Like Like x 2
  19. Anonymous138

Anonymous138 Registered+

Day 43, Day 8 of Flower

Happy to report that after inverting the light schedule so that they only run at night, room temps have consistently stayed between 64-73 F. I've settled on a setup for the lights which surrounds the plants in light better, the bulb right in the center was just not practical anymore. The Ultraviolet is clearly in full flower, according to my information on the strain it has four more weeks until it is ready to harvest. The Northern Lights will need about 7 more weeks. I adjusted the day count to reflect the number of days from germination, previously I was going by their first set of leaves. It may be off by +/- a few days.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 23, 2014
    • Like Like x 3
  20. growdemon

growdemon Registered+

cool! I see buds! awesome job!

if I was you I would take that cfl bulb and hang it horizontal across the top. youll get much more light out of it, currently it looks like its lighting your fans & floor :cool:

I would hang it horizontal in the middle, and move the plant on the right in the center under it. u said your walls were movable, maybe tighten up the space a bit, I see a lot of wasted light/space for what your cfl's are emitting, at least visually from your photos.

Cheers!

Last edited: Oct 25, 2014