indica or sativa. for eatables

Discussion in 'The Hobby Lounge' started by Buck Rogers420, Sep 15, 2016.

1. Buck Rogers420

Buck Rogers420 Registered+

how are the highs diferent? which are better for cooking?

2. Dutch Pimp

Dutch Pimp Up in Smoke

I use hybrids....usually 50/50 Indica/Sativa to make canna oil. ..for brownies.

Only thing bad about that is extreme cottonmouth.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Buck Rogers420

bummer, what's the high like?

4. Dutch Pimp

Dutch Pimp Up in Smoke

It sent my 50 year old nephew down to the ER at 3am with a panic attack. :D

I told the fool to eat only one brownie..then wait 2 hours. Did he do that?....nooooooooooo :cool:..2 brownies

...for me, it's a pleasant high; that wakes me up with the most extreme cottonmouth. (tongue stuck to roof of mouth) :rolleyes:
    ..so I only eat them for lunch.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2016
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. Buck Rogers420

do u have to make the cana oil first, or can you just put some clean weed in the brownies?(ie Blue Dream)

6. Dutch Pimp

Dutch Pimp Up in Smoke

Yes...oil is made first.

I put 2 cups of refined coconut oil & 1 cup of weed (coffee bean grinder) in a slow cooker crock pot.
    Set on low/medium heat over night. I store the oil in a jar; keep it in the fridge until needed.
    Most brownie recipes only call for 1/3 cup of oil.

Refined coconut oil has no smell or taste. Also it is a solid below 76 degrees. (Go figure?) o_O

7. Buck Rogers420

8. Buck Rogers420

do you have to strain the oil before you use it?

9. Shovelhandle

Shovelhandle Registered+

I do not use oil, butter etc. I use only flowers or hash (quit the hash, TOO STRONG). I toast the flowers at 120ºC for 25 minutes, put the flowers in the coffee grinder, powder like flour. Mix with the oil directed in the box recipe adding a touch more. Then add the egg, wet ingredients then dry ingredients. Basically can not taste green weed flavor one bit. It blends right in to the bread/brownie flavors. Even folks who are fussy about pot flavor in bread don't seem to mind.
    A normal amount for a box recipe would be 20 grams of bud. Slice the bread into 8 slices. My wife gets out of it with 1/4 slice. I use a full slice. IT sets one back a bit. <G>

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. Dutch Pimp

Dutch Pimp Up in Smoke

Yes....I strain it through a tea strainer. A little material don't hurt, it will settle at the bottom of a jar..
    ..or you can go with a coffee filter, too?
    ...but, I never needed to do that.

11. Buck Rogers420

Looks like I'm going to be cooking tonight:cool:

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. kermy

kermy Registered

I have come to this method after doing research online and some modification at the beginning:

Ingredients:
    7g top notch flowers
    2 cups refined coconut oil

1: Decarb by cutting flowers into small nugs in covered dish at 200 F for 60 minutes
    2: Break the flowers down into smaller pieces with fingers
    3: Double-boil both ingredients for 3 hours
    4: Let cool!
    5: Strain vegetable matter with cheesecloth back into original container

This results in a light-green/brown oil that is pretty flavorless. There is a slight coconut flavor but it isn't noticeable in brownies.

6: Get a box of brownie mix that requires 1/2 cup oil, or use 1/2 cup oil anyway.

Cut into 24 brownies, try 1 (or even 1/2) to start.s

Here's how I figured the dosage: 7g of 20% thc bud = 1400mg thc. 1400mg/96 = ~14mg - which is a medium dose. My wife is
    a lighter weight than me, but as I primarily use medicinally I try to keep as low a tolerance as possible. 7g lasts us a month, or
    close to it, this way.

ps - We're moving to Seattle so I may just start buying them - we'll see about the cost.

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. kermy

kermy Registered

It's a solid at fairly high temp because it's totally saturated. Same reason Lard is solid, butter semi-solid, meat fat too.

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. Buck Rogers420

what strain do you prefer to cook with?

15. Buck Rogers420

:leafbanner:

16. kermy

kermy Registered

I use whatever my dealer has... Have used bubble gum, sour diesel, blueberry something - we usually get indica or maybe a hybrid. I've checked the edible prices in Seattle and its way cheaper to make it, but I'll be able to experiment with different strains next year :)

17. Buck Rogers420

:confused:bubble gum and blueberry sound good to eat. sour diesel does not.

18. kermy

kermy Registered

One of the reasons I like using flowers is there is less vegetable matter so there is no taste, grittiness, or smell - whatever you make with it is the same as "virgin" food ;)

19. Shovelhandle

Shovelhandle Registered+

I use bud for great edibles. I grind the bud fine in a coffee grinder, toast at 250ºf for 27 minutes , temp control is imperative!.
    I add about 12 -20 grams to a box mix of brownie, banana bread, whatever. The pot goes in first and the oil added to it and mixed, then adding the rest of the wet ingredients and then the dry. Simple for us non-galloping gourmets. The result is awesome, potent meds and little if any noticeable difference in flavor.

Of course when using trim this doesn't work. But I've been making bubblebag hash with trim and I can add hash to the same recipes. But it is too strong, so we don't do than no more.

20. kermy

kermy Registered

I had just been smoking for about 3 weeks. I got hold of 7g "Queen of Hearts," which looked like the strain except no frost. The smoke was strong & tasty though. I took 1 g aside to smoke and cooked the rest using my method above. It's extremely strong! I had 3 the first night and got too high...I'm dosing 1 (11x9 pan cut 7x4 into 28 pieces) every 6 hours, sometimes skipping the 4th dose if I fall asleep. It is a hybrid, whereas Indicas seem to be the standard fare here in Ohio. Maybe that's the difference but I'm actually considering cutting slightly smaller pieces!

PS - As I've alluded to, I use primarily medicinally. I'm even going to try cbd oil when I get to Seattle. I have back problems and bipolar disorder, and generally high anxiety. I use for fun sometimes, but I don't like being high all the time.

Edit: I did one thing differently - I put the covered dish in the oven before preheating, and left it there to cool when I turned the oven off (recall I decarb at 200F for 60min). Doesn't seem like weed would need any more than that - that longer time would make it better - as I'm already towards the upper (longer/hotter) range of decarb methods. But everyone says temperature control is important. Ideas?