Is it possible to stunt growth..

Discussion in 'Basic Growing' started by Turtlez, Aug 2, 2007.

1. Turtlez

Turtlez Banned

I am growing a plant in my backyard and i live in the middle of town and i'm afraid my plant is going to get too tall. I've heard of topping your plant, and that it could make your plant stay short.. but i just don't know enough about it. Can anyone help me out?

2. secretsmoker32

secretsmoker32 Registered

Hey mam, just tie it down...

3. secretsmoker32

secretsmoker32 Registered

man I meant

4. MajMike

MajMike Registered+

Either tie down (LST) or top . .

You can tie it down as suggested above, or top it (and/or the other main branches). Make sure you have at least two weeks more veg time if you top it, it takes that long to see the benefits.

With the tie down, all your bud sites will get good light penetration, that might be better than topping (but don't snap the plant).

5. Myself

Myself Registered+

Topping can never hurt if you do it properly. However if you do screw up when you're topping it will stunt the growth and damage the plant.

6. Turtlez

Turtlez Banned

How would i tie it down? what does that mean?

7. stinkyattic

stinkyattic CultiModerVatorAtor

it simply means tie it down! like with string. don't top this late in the season.

8. NightProwler

NightProwler Registered+

9. ilovetv247

ilovetv247 Banned

Is there a benefit from tying them down as opposed to topping the?

10. stinkyattic

Yes, it's slightly less stressful to the plant, and allows the grower to choose what form the plant will eventually take. If you top without training, it will just turn into an unruly bush.

11. 420F4i

420F4i Registered+

My girls are stunted, i think from being in pots that are to small. Not sure tho. They're barely 2 feet tall, yet very healthy at 5 months.

12. HARDDON

HARDDON Registered+

Feeding a bit of jack daniels or southern comfort with each watering will stunt your plant growth...for future reference.:)

13. Dankeybuds420

Dankeybuds420 Registered+

yup

ya jack would do the trick :stoned:

14. Mr. Clandestine

Mr. Clandestine Registered+

Stinky once mentioned a product that either slowed down root growth, or somehow managed to limit vertical growth. Maybe when she reads this she'll be able to tell you what that stuff was. Either way, I don't imagine that subjecting your roots to 90 proof liquor is the best way to go about managing height. (Training is time-tested & grower approved.) But that's just my opinion.

15. gainesvillegreen

gainesvillegreen Registered+

Bushmaster maybe? All of that type product are expensive, very expensive.

16. Mr. Clandestine

Mr. Clandestine Registered+

Hey Gainesville,

You're right... I'm pretty sure that is what she recommended. And damn, that stuff IS expensive! Seems to me that topping and/or training would be a much cheaper alternative.

17. gainesvillegreen

gainesvillegreen Registered+

I may try that stuff out sometime. The main difference between training a plant and using this stuff is that Bushmaster and it's kin will shorten the internodal length in addition to keeping it short. More nodes in the same space, and more nodes total should equal more bud (or at the very least, more dense bud).

18. stinkyattic

I can't RECOMMEND bushmaster but it is indeed the product I mentioned that is designed to limit height. IT does not work all the time on all strains..
    Addition of a MH to your flower room for the first couple weeks of flower, and making sure night/day temps are within 5'F of each other, will also limit stretch.