PAX2 Vaporizer Pass Your Drug Test

is it true sugar makes buds fatter?

Discussion in 'Outdoor Growing' started by redrosesforabluelady, Aug 30, 2006.

1. redrosesforabluelady

redrosesforabluelady Registered+

i read on the miracle grow thread that adding sugar to your water will make the buds grow faster and fatter is this true and if so what is the ratio..... please reply to this cause if it is true i would like to do it thanks,brian
  2. kush07

kush07 Registered+

Yes, sugar does effect bud growth and developement by as much as 10%. It is always good to add it to your watering regime during flowering and whenever you might need to help a plant get over stress.

Happy Toking :Rasta:
  3. redrosesforabluelady

awesome but does anyone know how muc hto put in the water cause i dont wanna put in too much or not enough
  4. m.g.

m.g. Banned

i've been growing outdoors for going on 30 years now and would not recommend putting sugar around your plants. the solution will gum up the roots and attract insects. if you must do it anyway i urge you to test it on a trial plant planted well away from the others...then you'll see what i'm talking about.
  5. redrosesforabluelady

damn it because as soon as the post came back as it was good i ran outside and watered it with sugar in am i gonna be screwed now?
  6. Well I STRONGLY DISAGREE WITH M.G.! I have the same amount of experience as m.g. but unlike him have had amazing results with Sugar. The most un-processed the sugar the better, the best being Turbinado. I would recommend using around 1 tablespoon per gallon of water. But he is right about the insects. Well atleast about the ants anyway. But in some aspects ants are actually benefical, protecting from more harmful insects. Don't know how he says it 'gums up the roots', adding sugar supplements plants natural sugars making them grow bigger faster than without it. There was quite a nice article in HT's a few months back called 'Sweetleaf'.
  7. redrosesforabluelady

alright then i put like way too much sugar in the water i took like 3 scoops in my watering can thing and i only put in like a 1/2 gallon maybe 1 full one is tha tbad?
  8. imsmokingmyroach

imsmokingmyroach Registered+

I use brown sugar for my plants. I mix 2tsp-3 gallons and flowering food.
    I think sugar works great.
  9. bud breath420

bud breath420 Registered+

you should disolve your sugar in your water before giving it to your plants... sugar as well as supplementing sugars for the plants gives it extra carbon...
  10. houdini

houdini Registered+

What ? sugar ? since when ? I'm also a long-time grower and this is the first time I've heard of sugar (like you buy in a store) aiding plant development. I'm always open to new ideas but pouring sugarized water on plants ? Sounds like a recipe for major bug attraction.
  11. Well theres just a limit to how much can be used at one time, To much of a good thing can be bad. It also depends on how big your plant is.

Houdini, I don't know what to tell you, this has been well known of decades in growing circles, not just cannabis but other fruits and vegetables as well. Get out from under that rock my brother!
  12. stinkyattic

stinkyattic CultiModerVatorAtor

Sweet and TopMax and some other products contain sugar so if you're afraid of gumming up the roots just use those things instead.
  13. and carboload. ;)
  14. phillykid

phillykid Registered+

the carbohydrates (sugars) feed the benficial microbes in the soil, and facilitate the uptake of the residual nutrients in the soil.

1/2 cup of unsweetened pineapple juice per 5 gal/water. during the last 2 weeks.
  15. redrosesforabluelady

awesome thanks a lot guys i have done this twice already and have only noticed a few ants so im guess im going to give this a go for all u guys to try i already noticed a difference as well
  16. Happy to be of assitance, also I don't think a few ants are going to much of a problem for a plant the size of the one you have. I defiately think the reward outweighs the 'risk' but thats just me...have a happy grow, stay safe.
  17. m.g.

m.g. Banned

ok then...when you start getting odd shaped, coppery colored spots breaking out on your leaves you'll know what the problem is and perhaps next time will stick with 'the book' and time honored methods instead of looking for a shortcut. don't you think something so simple and accessible would be used by all if it really worked?
  18. redrosesforabluelady

why would it develop brown spots...cause ive already done this a few times... if it does coudl u tell me how to fix it?
  19. I don't know what books you're reading but the ones I've read suggested to use sugar. And FYI, it is a 'time honored method' people have been doing it for decades. Theres fewer experienced growers that don't use than do use it that I know. And I've never had "odd shaped, copper colored spots breaking out on my leaves" I'm not getting into a 'pissing contest' about this I've said all I have to say about the subject.
  20. redrosesforabluelady

i dont know what to do now lol... do i keep using sugar or do i stop..... i jus twant huge buds.. i think everyoen does