Is Marijuana being destroyed by Hybrids?

Discussion in 'Marijuana Strains' started by franny34, May 17, 2016.

1. franny34

franny34 Registered+

I'm an old time smoker, not as long as some but long enough to have smoked the old stuff. Before any legalization in the US existed and before "BC Buds" started coming down from Canada.

I have appreciated all these great hybrids and awesome blends. but sometimes I get nostalgic and miss the old, familiar highs. The thing is these herbs no longer exist!

I have been wondering if this might be a conspiracy. Legalization is sweeping the US, no way to stop it. But in turn, we have lost heirloom strains...

Once its totally legalized, the Cannabis we have fought for really wont exist..

Your thoughts

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Dutch Pimp

Dutch Pimp Up in Smoke

I'd blame the California Genetics Bureau!

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. COweed

COweed Registered+

I like the current products.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Pupp

Pupp Registered+

There are a lot of seedbanks, and many of them are interested in preserving land races. That being said, marijuana naturally likes to mix it's genetics, so over time, it might be impossible to truly preserve landraces in a closed setting. But at the same time, many land races come from micro climates in various niches of the world, and will happily keep propagating if the locals don't go out of their way to seed with other genetics.
    -I say that, because I think eventually, in my lifetime, marijuana might be accepted as a legal plant in the world, and land races might be slowly replaced by hybrids and strains that are more popular, making land races harder and harder to find. They'll never die out completely, but the number could shrink dramatically over time.

• Like Like x 1
  5. MeJuana

MeJuana Registered+

I realize I am replying almost 3 weeks later but I think it's just because we are stoners sometimes strains do go extinct. I been smoking mj since 1985 and there are some old strains I would be nostalgic for but I didn't know the names back then. I think the weed I grow now is the most powerful weed I've ever had bar none. I have a new strain I found called Triangle Kush a.k.a. The White which is the best smelling weed while growing I think I've ever smelled hope it tastes as good. Right now I have so many strains in my grow room losing one would be easy and keeping them alive is hard work. I bet seeds for "extinct" are out there kept well enough in someone's grow still would be funny if someone came out with all the old strains again from nowhere!

I love mj

• Like Like x 1
  6. gardenermendo

gardenermendo Registered+

MJ is just an amazing beautiful plant. Can grow just about anywhere under a lot of hardship. I saw a smaller rejected plant survive through freezing, not something I'd recommend though.

7. Pupp

Pupp Registered+

Even if someone did go out an get a land race straight from some micro climate... it's still going to have a diverse genetic code, with different phenotypes in the grow. So people interested in preserving a land race from that micro climate end up just taking seeds from a variety of plants that have the best traits.

Often it comes down to a couple items: do the buds look awesome and how does it smell. So they end up trying to find several plants with awesome buds, but different smells. Say, some seeds from a plant that smells fruity, another more like something fuel like, and maybe some that smell like hash and maybe another that smells like skunk, then maybe rounding out the collection with some seeds from a plant or two that has unique smells.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Dancing_Bear

Dancing_Bear Moderator

In the Colombian fields, deep DEEP into the fields are true sativas. I even have some heirloom seeds.

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. Dutch Pimp

Dutch Pimp Up in Smoke

Banned?...it's not something you play with. user3679_pic197302_1255896631.gif

• Like Like x 1
  10. EvilCartman

EvilCartman Registered+

Hybrids and poly-hybrids give us some of the tastiest, killer-bud out there. The only thing getting destroyed, is me. :D Plenty of good sources for genetics. Life is good.

But, if ya want Thai stick nowadays, seems ya gotta DIY. It can be tough finding a good, stable Thai sativa.
    Hoping this is finally my girl. At this pic, she's nearly 9 weeks into bloom. (just getting warmed-up) ;)

[​IMG]

The Pie Face plant in front was flipped the same day. o_O

• Like Like x 3
  11. Dancing_Bear

Dancing_Bear Moderator

There should be a seed vault that houses heirloom cannabis.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. franny34

franny34 Registered+

Late to reply, but @Dancing_Bear , your 100%. Lets start a Seed Vault !

• Like Like x 2
  13. tangentweed

tangentweed Registered+

I've grown some old school strains in the past few years, although they are new age genetic blends which lean heavily toward the the original landrace side.
    Acapulco Gold, Columbian Gold and Thai are a few recent ones that remind me of the good old '70's..

• Like Like x 2