Is T5 too much light to Clone?

Discussion in 'Indoor Lighting' started by chrisdl805, Mar 5, 2008.

1. chrisdl805

chrisdl805 Registered+

I have the Sun system Spectra Max 4ft t5/hps light. I have been using it to try and root some clones in a home made bubble cloner but haven't had any roots and its been 2 weeks? I only have the T5 on and there the 54w and 4 bulb so that 216 watts and their the blue 6500k(i think)...I also tryed some in small rockwool rootcubes afew months ago and had 10% survival rate:wtf:

2. marijuanavillebilly

marijuanavillebilly Registered+

check and see if the tips of the stem have turned colors, this could mean you have a bubble in the stem.
    a plants stem is like a cars hydrolic brake if you put anything that isnt supposed to be there it usually wont work.
    i would just stick to dirt, its easier IMHO.

3. chrisdl805

chrisdl805 Registered+

Its kinda hard to check the tip of the stem cause I put them in Botanicare grow plugs...Heres some pics

Attached Files:

4. chrisdl805

chrisdl805 Registered+

And I do have a dome for them its just not pictured

5. stinkyattic

stinkyattic CultiModerVatorAtor

Just a single small CFL over the dome is plenty of light. I find my T5 fixture much too strong for new clones! Those look like they have a good chance of making it; how long since you cut them and what did you use for hormone?

6. killerweed420

killerweed420 Registered+

Be sure and have patience. Clones always look terrible for the first couple weeks. I keep mine real simple.A good soil,root powder and I scrape the bottom 1/2 inch with a sharp knife to expose the cambium layer. I get about 90% sucess rate.

7. chrisdl805

chrisdl805 Registered+

I cut them almost 2 weeks ago ad I used dip and grow. Only thing is I don't have the right measuring cup that comes with it so I went by what the guy at the hydro store said. I have another single 2ft 22watt t5 light I could use??? Only thing is I also have 5 seedling under the same light the clones are under, 216watt, so they would be getting a lot less light then...

8. stinkyattic

2 weeks... they are probably rooted now. You might want to give them a light foliar feeding of your BLOOM fertilizer mixed at 1/4 wht the bottle says, and when you see roots popping out switch to the GROW, also mixed weak. I think those clones are rooted, by the looks of them and the timing.

Don't you have a desk lamp that you could clip somewhere with a SMALL cfl in it, or a dim corner somewhere?

The ratio for dip n gorw on softwood cuttings is 1:20 so approximately 4 mL in a shot glass not quite full should do ya fine.

9. chrisdl805

chrisdl805 Registered+

Okay, I'm using botinicare right now. So I'll spray them with some Pro Bloom and then pray for roots:Rasta:

10. chrisdl805

chrisdl805 Registered+

Well I checked them tonight and one has 2 little roots poking through and one more little root that's about to poke it head out.:jointsmile: So I mixed up some dutch master penetrator and some botanicare pro bloom and sprayed them with that. Hopefully the rest aren't far behind. I took 20 cuttings hoping that I would get 10 good clones, but I'd be happy with 5-7...My only problem is that the grow plugs are drying out real fast. I'm not sure if its cause the water is too low or because my air stone is powerful enough? Everyday I have to basically dip each plug into the reservoir to re-wet it.:wtf:

11. chrisdl805

chrisdl805 Registered+

Well I guess I was just being impatient. I think they're about 2 1/2 weeks old. So far 4/15 have rooted and the 1st one that rooted a few days ago has gone crazy and grown like 25 little roots, no lattering yet though. How much longer till I should transplant to some coco? I have removed the dome, do you think that's okay seeing as it been 2 1/2 weeks? I changed the reservoir yesterday and didn't lower the ph till today. It was at 7 something so I added some AN Voodoo Juice, a tip I got from the Hydro guy, and some Botanicare Pro Bloom Fert. That alone dropped the ph to about 6.1 then I used some ph down to bring it to 5.8. Does that sound about right? This is only my second time taking clones and my first with the bubble cloner. So far it seems to have a much higher success rate then my first attempt with rockwool cubes. Anyways Now that they are starting to show roots through the grow plugs should I stop foliar feeding? If not the what should I use, veg or bloom? Thanks, and hers some picks :smokin:

Attached Files:

12. chrisdl805

chrisdl805 Registered+

a few more shots

Attached Files:

13. killerweed420

killerweed420 Registered+

Looks like they're beginning to perk up.:thumbsup:

14. Hennessy1414

Hennessy1414 Registered+

shouldnt he be clipping the dead/yellowed leaves? :Rasta:

15. chrisdl805

chrisdl805 Registered+

Just thought I would do an update. So I started out with 20 cuttings. Four of them died, 14 of them rooted and 2 are still alive but hadn't rooted by the time I transplanted them into some coco. I transplanted 8 of them about a week and a half ago and then I did the other 8 about 5-6 days ago.

So here they are-all pretty Sage n sour Girls :Rasta:

Attached Files:

16. phatsesh101

phatsesh101 Registered+

i have the same light and it works great for clones like perfect they die from my stupidity. but that aquarium heater you have needs to be fully submerged i also have the same one and if it isnt submerged it shuts off but i dont use my hps either but i found that with roottech clone gel and some olivias clone solution my peat bound clones root in 4 days with less shock than that damn cloner i made,when i transplant. good luck

17. chrisdl805

chrisdl805 Registered+

I wasn't sure about the aquarium heater being fully submerged or not, but thanks for the tip. Do you use all blue bulbs when cloning or do you mix in a red? When you say peat bound clones do you mean your gonna transplant them into some peat? Do you mix your own or use something like Pro-mix or Sunshine Mix #4? What do you start the clones in, grow plugs, peat pellets... I'm also curious about the roottech gel and the olivias clone solution. Are they 2 different types of cloning ingredients that just work well together? Or do they both do the same thing? I have only been using the light for about 6 months but so far I like it. The first one I had broke after like a week of using it, so I had to take it back and order another one, took like 2-3 months. I have tried using the 2 150 watt hps's but those suckers get real hot and would heat up the canopy temps so high that I was having to raise the light and putting the T5 to far away to be effective. So now it's strictly a veg/clone T5 light. Anyways thanks for the help :pimp:

18. stinkyattic

Nice work, and oooh lucky you to be running sage-n-sour. That stuff is tasty. I've had the pleasure of smoking it ONCE and it was just lovely.

19. chrisdl805

chrisdl805 Registered+

Thanks stinky! Always nice to get a compliment from you. :D The Cannibus club I frequent has had this particular strain of Sage n sour a few times, and every time they have it, there's always 4-5 seeds per 1/4 ounce. So I ended up with about 20 seeds half being undeveloped and the other half good quality brown/molted seeds. So I don't know if they came from a Hermied Sage N Sour or if the grower didn't remove all the males or what??? All I know is that the SnS was probably my fav weed I ever got from this club. So far all the seeds I have sprouted they have all turned up female so if that cont. then I can assume they came from a Hermie...right. And if they didn't then theres a possibility that the male they were bred with might not be SnS but something else.

All I know if that the mom these clones came from that is in week 5 of flower smells almost identical to the SnS I got from ther club. So either way I'm happy :Rasta:

I guess the only way to know for sure would be to buy some SnS seeds from amsterdam and compare the 2...which isn't a bad idea :wtf:

20. chrisdl805

chrisdl805 Registered+

Sage N Sour Update

Well the girls are about 5 weeks old now since rooting and there growing like crazy! They're growing an average of 1/2" a day, and that's in soil! Well actually they are in Sunshine mix #4 with some added perlite plus some worm castings. They are all around 12-15" tall, and have had they're main tips topped. The side branches are now beginning to stretch like crazy. I want to lst them but right now there isn't enough room in my veg chamber. I have 3 plants from seeds that I'm thinking about putting outdoors, that way I can give the cloans room to lst and spread out. Right now I have 2 cloans that are potential mothers that are growing much bushier than the others. The mom theses plants came from is almost done at week 7 of flower, and the quality is amazing for my first indoor grow, so these next can only get better. Plus the mom has been through hell and back with roots aphids, lockout, ph problems, and still is finishing strong. So I think its proved to be a super strong strain that finishes fast and is still high quality smoke. What more can you ask for in a plant? Here's some pics.

pic 1- overview- had some fungas knats-gnatrol=dead:thumbsup:
    pic 2- potential mother #1
    pic 3- potential mother #1 top view
    pic 4- potential mother #2
    pic 5- another clone-notice the 3 finger fan leaf? Some clones have them some don't...

Attached Files: