Led or t5

Discussion in 'Indoor Lighting' started by tom079, Mar 26, 2016.

1. tom079

tom079 Registered

I have just made a 3x3x6 grow box. I have a 450w led and a 6" inline fan. What are the thoughts on my light strength? Should I add a couple t5s?
    Thanks

2. DirtyBlueGene

DirtyBlueGene Registered+

Might be an awkward fit. The T5s need to be close to the plants, the LED further away, so it seems the T5 fixture would block the LED light from reaching the plants, no? The 450 should cover the 3x3 canopy fairly well anyway.

3. tom079

tom079 Registered

Thanks for the reply. I was going to hang the led but I was thinking for putting 2 24" t5s vertical in 2 of the corners. Not sure if necessary though.

4. DirtyBlueGene

DirtyBlueGene Registered+

If you already have the lights, then go for it, more light is almost always a good thing. However, the vertical corner placement won't be a huge benefit, won't harm anything either. :)

5. DaveyBoyer

DaveyBoyer Registered

Putting T5s along the sides to hit the plants where the LED doesn't seems like it could only be beneficial

6. emilya

emilya Future Dispensary Owner

the usable light distance from a t5 is about 4 - 8 inches. Any further than that, there is a more efficient light available to you, considering all factors including usable lumens, heat generated and electricity usage. I just don't see how you could use a t5 efficiently in anything other than a scrog situation... especially if it is going to get in the way of a bigger and more penetrating light.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. bosgrower

bosgrower Registered+

I know this is late to the party, but I just got here ... nobody asked what that 450w actually meant ... is that at the wall of the mfr's equivalency rating? Need to know how much light you've actually got before talking about what to add

8. Weezard

Weezard Registered+

I'm getting excellent results with 50 -60 actual watts of red, 660nm. and blue 460nm..
    I can veg 4., 3 foot ladies per lamp.
    Flowering would benefit from a bit more, but I flower them in free, tropical, sunlight.
    That 450 should be more than enough if the spectrum is correct.

Don't hate me because I'm lucky.
    Hate me because I'm so good lookin' ;)

Aloha,
    Weeze

• Funny Funny x 1