LED questions

Discussion in 'Indoor Lighting' started by steveat, Sep 14, 2017.

1. steveat

steveat Registered+

Hi All,

I move countries and have to set things up all over again and have never used LEDs for any grow before. Right now, I'm doing a grow with a 600W HPS light and 400W MH (only one light..I switch them out). I was told 600W MH is too hot, so I opted for the less powerful one. I have also added two "supposedly" 1000w LEDs and I'm not sure if they are even close to that or not because while the advert says 1000w, it only requires 192W of power.

I realize that LEDs aren't the same as far as output is concerned, but how can I tell what is real and what isn't and what is the main difference from a cheaper 1000W LED vs a more expensive one. We are talking a difference of hundreds of dollars. What makes this steep difference? Good LEDs go for over $500 and I bought 2 x 1000W for like 200-ish dollars. Are these lights no good or did I miss something critical when shopping for LEDs?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2PCS-1000...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

So this is what I purchased. Does anyone have any information or experience that can assist me with this? If these suck, then I will use them for another veg tent instead and buy a real LED later.

I guess what I want to understand is the actual output. Is it 192W or 1000W or somewhere in between?

I do know that sometimes the bulbs aren't clocked to burn at a high rate, but instead work at around half pace to keep intensity and cost down. ie. each bulb being 3w instead of 5w. This particular product I bought doesn't really say much other than:

"IR and UV is Dim, not broken" I am not sure wtf this means

Yields - "optimized driving current increases diode efficiency and output, resulting in a brighter, higher yielding footprint"

Optimum Spectrum - "proprietary full band complete "perfect spectrum" including IR and UV diodes

Optimum Intensity - "Magnified PAR and Increases canopy penetration by up to 200%"

Optimum quality - "Quiet Fans, precision drivers, superior craftsmanship" (Marketing)

Optimum LED Board - "Thick LED aluminum board that dissipates hear much more efficiently than other LED lights, making kind LED lights run more effectively and cooler leading to longer life spans and incrased performance."

The Chinglish part: "Please do not make the product get any touch with water or use it in the place where water is dripping"

Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
  2. Weezard

Weezard Registered+

It simply means that you can not see IR, and UV, but the plant can.
    So they get calls from dummies claiming that those leds are burnt out. :)

How to tell if they are lit?
    Use your calibrated heat sensor, (fingertip), if it's hot, it's probably lit.
    That and most phone cameras are sensitive to the IR.

The whole "full spectrum" thing is marketing hype anyway.
    I grow magnificent plants, (if I do say so myself), vegged under 50 Watts of a simple R:B array.
    The 660 red does all the heavy lifting and the blue influences morphology and phototropism.
    So, 192 actual watts should work well if it's not spread out into too many inefficient bands.
    JMO. But LEDs can grow.
    Ledlit.JPG
    Aloha,
    Wee 'zard

• Like Like x 1