Lighting Problem / Help Needed

Discussion in 'Indoor Lighting' started by Buds Buddy, Apr 11, 2018.

1. Buds Buddy

Buds Buddy Registered+

Hi all !!!
    Still new at this & trying to get it right. I'll try to post pics....but not sure if I know how (not good with computers at all). Anyways, I'll try to describe my set-up & problem in detail in case pics don't come out.
    I have a 2'x4'x6' grow tent with 4-plants (2-OG Kush & 2- Pie Face). I have a 4" Carbon Filter & Fan installed.
    A 600 watt VivoSun Cool Tube Reflector Light at the top of the tent which I can only use at 250 watt right now. Even at the 400 watt setting the temps reach into low 90's. I only have 1 - 4" inline fan blowing in to cool the light but no ducting on the other end of the light so the hot air blows into the tent as of now. I have 2- 6" inline fans & new 6" duct on it's way so will fix this by the weekend. This is where the questions are....?????
    The 2 - 6" fans are 240cfm ea. Can I hook 1 fan up on 1 side of the light to blow in & the other fan on the other side of the light to suck the heat out ? My tent is right under my A/C in my room so I was going to duct the intake fan right under it from the top of the tent & the exhaust fan duct to the bottom of the tent & out the hole.
    Will this work ? Will it get rid of most the heat so I can put my light on 400 watt for Veg. & 600 Watt for Flower? I'm already about 1 1/2 - 2 weeks into Veg. now. Got to get this thing cooler. At 250 watt I'm staying at about 82 Degrees with 47% Humidity which is close to what I want ( I Think ???)...but not sure if I'm getting enough light at 250 Watt.
    I live in AZ. so I'm in a Very Hot & Dry Climate so Humidity levels are a PITA to keep right. I have a household humidifier running inside the tent 24/7 to try to bring the humidity up. It has helped as I was only at 20% - 25% without it.
    I also Run 2-Clip on Fans & 4- 24Watt LED's for side lighting & I turn my plants 1/4 turn every day so everything gets there turn at the LED's. Not sure if this helps...but I doubt it could hurt.
    Anyways, I have a slight problem with the LED's. 2- of my plants got 1- Burnt leave each. What is the proper distance to put these LED's away from the plants ? I must be too close at about 16" - 18" away.
    Any tips on Lighting / Cooling / Humidity would be of great help.
    Weezard & Dutch Pimp ....please feel free to add your 2 cents...please !!! I've read a lot of your posts & you guys really seem to know your chit !!!
    OK...I'll try to add pics now. Says my file is too large. Not sure how to fix that so have to wait for my teenage son to get up....LOL. I'll try to add pics later.

2. Dutch Pimp

Dutch Pimp Up in Smoke

Big Light, small tent, AZ...I don't know where to start. :oops:

shouldn't need anymore light than 250-400-600....gotta keep it around 78 degrees in the shade. :twocents:

• Like Like x 2
  3. Weezard

Weezard Registered+

That sounds like a plan. :)

Are you sure that it's light bleaching?
    A 24 Watt led would need to be heavily lensed to have that effect at that distance.

I keep 180°, 55 Watt, arrays at < 8" with no problem.
    I'll wait for the pictures.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Dutch Pimp

Dutch Pimp Up in Smoke

:)

Strong, constant airflow can look like light bleaching. I killed two plants that way. :thumbsupold:

(I had pictures...I can't find them) :(

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Buds Buddy

Buds Buddy Registered+

These 2 leaves weren't bleached looking. They shriveled up & got crispy so I cut them off. Rest of the plant seems to be fine. I have to find out how to re-size my pictures or something because it keeps saying the file is too large ??? Son doesn't know how to re-size so I'll have to do some search on how to do it. Hopefully straight by morning.

6. Buds Buddy

Buds Buddy Registered+

Resized pics to 600x800 so lets see if I can post them now. GEDC3723.JPG GEDC3722.JPG GEDC3721.JPG GEDC3720.JPG GEDC3718.JPG GEDC3717.JPG GEDC3716.JPG GEDC3715.JPG

7. Dutch Pimp

Dutch Pimp Up in Smoke

IMG_0464.JPG I hate tents, I'm a Clovis closet man....that's alota light. :D

8. Buds Buddy

Buds Buddy Registered+

Those Buds L@@K Sweet !!! Do you strip the leaves off sometime during Flower ? Don't see any leaves ??? Not sure what you mean by a Clovis Closet....but I guess it means you grow in a closet.
    That was my original plan. Maybe I'll try it next time. Was going to buy a 5' x 5' x 7' Tent. Which would be better with the 600 Watt Light ? If I get the big tent I could put a portable swamp cooler in it & solve Temp & Humidity issues I think. Not sure about that either. Thoughts.....?
    I have an extra room & a 3' x 3' x 6' tent I was thinking about using for seedlings. My 2' x 4' x 6' Tent for Veg. Then a 5' x 5' x 7' for Flower. That way I could start a new rotation about every 4 - 6 weeks I'm guessing. All I'm really trying to grow is maybe 2 - lbs. every 4 months ( 1 for me & 1 to pay for what it cost to grow it). Not sure of the expense yet. Not sure how many plants I'll need or any of that yet. Hopefully this 1st grow will give me some insight to what I need.
    So you think I have too much light for the tent I'm using now ? Maybe I should go back to the 4 - 65 watt 6500K CFL's I was using and just add the LED's ??? Temp & Humidity were much better that way. What's your thoughts ?

9. Buds Buddy

Buds Buddy Registered+

Decided to turn off my Big Light for today & just use the LED's to see what happens.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Dutch Pimp

Dutch Pimp Up in Smoke

The strains I grow lose their fan leaves after 6-8 weeks. This let's in more light and makes trimming a breeze.

I use a 1000watt HPS or MH in a 2x4 ft. closest, open door, in a darkroom. The secret is 9 ft ceiling height & HVAC cooling.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2018
  11. Buds Buddy

Buds Buddy Registered+

Interesting ! I had no idea there were strains that did that. I know what you mean about the height. I almost want to mylar the extra room completely & just grow in it without the tents.

12. Buds Buddy

Buds Buddy Registered+

Re-did my tent last night. Added the 2-6" inline fans to the Tube Light & it has made a difference. Temp is staying around 82 degrees with 51% Humidity now. Long as it stays between 75 - 85 degrees & between 50 - 60% Humidity I think I'm OK. Had a hard time getting it to stay under 88 degrees with the tent closed up before the new fans so it has improved some. Think I'm going to buy a 5x5x7 Tent so I can fit a small swamp cooler in it. Hopefully that will be better for my next grow.