% loss?

Discussion in 'Experiences' started by AladdinSane, Apr 15, 2017.

1. AladdinSane

AladdinSane Registered+

Just sitting on my balcony enjoying some Pineapple Jack, and I started thinking about joint loss. If you're like me, you don't slam down every breath with weed; you take your time, enjoy your surroundings and your J.

I know, stupid question, but what percentage of the joint gets lost in the non-inhaling seconds? Not worried, just a thought. ;-)

2. Dutch Pimp

Dutch Pimp Up in Smoke

too dry...and a joint will burn like a fuse :jointsmiley:

• Like Like x 1
  3. tangentweed

tangentweed Registered+

This is why a small bowl load is preferred by me.
    You can take your time with not much non-toke loss of the precious substance..

4. EvilCartman

EvilCartman Registered+

Ha, I'm the same. I savor the whole experience, and prefer a joint over any other method. :)
    The percentage that goes "up in smoke" is likely very high, when smoking by myself I'd guess maybe as much as 50-60%.

After the first couple hits, it's more about the taste than the effect... :jointsmiley:

I have my handy one-hitter, for those times when I wanna be efficient. ;)

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Egzoset

Egzoset Registered+

Salutations,

For all practical purposes, ZERO loss (especially if i were to "reclaim" systematically): vegetal substrate cools off almost instantly right after a toke - not to mention i vaporize it anyway...

Good day, have fun!! :D

6. Weezard

Weezard Registered+

Egzoset has a point. Though I would not say zero loss.
    But much less than one might expect from watching that thick smoke curl away.

To clarify.
    A properly rolled joint is actually a crude vaporizer.

Think about it. The lit end does it's rapid oxidation thing but that is not the source of THC we're after.
    Unlit, the cylinder of cannabis contains mostly THC-A.
    We want THC, so we need to break off the CO2 acid molecule.
    That is easily done with heat.

Light the end, and when you toke, it burns faster and hotter.
    So, you are drawing heated air/smoke through that cylinder.
    That decarbs, and vaporizes the resin in the 1st third of it's length "on the fly".
    Which dries it enough to keep the tip burning between hits.

However, when you are not actively drawing the heated gas through a joint, it cools rapidly and redeposits vaporized resin on the material inside while only the tip still smolders.

The smoke coming from said tip has almost no resin in it after the first hit. The resin directly behind the burning end has been melted, vaporized, de-carbed, and drawn away from the burning end.

So very little of the active ingredient gets wasted, and the roaches are never as potent as we wanted them to be. :(
    By the time they get that short almost all of the resin has already been enjoyed.

It also explains why "pinners", (very thin joints), are much more efficient in mg./effect at delivering THC to your lungs than fat old doobies.
    The thinner the joint, the more of a vaporizer it becomes.

There were studies done in the '60s that showed joints to be the most efficient method of dosing.
    Given enough thought, we can see why, yah?

Aloha,
    Wee 'zard

PS;
    All that said, I still love my pipes when I have, um, "weed to burn" :D.
    Go ahead, call me lazy. :)

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. tangentweed

tangentweed Registered+

^ serious over-thinker

The results of being a sativa lover...

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Weezard

Weezard Registered+

Guilty as charged. :)

9. AladdinSane

AladdinSane Registered+

THANK YOU - makes sense. I mostly use a King Pen, but when smoking joints alone, I do prefer thinner ones because I just can't finish a fatty.