Male / Female ID....Hope I did this right ???

Discussion in 'Growing Information' started by Buds Buddy, Aug 10, 2018.

1. Buds Buddy

Buds Buddy Registered+

Well my plants are all 3 weeks into Veg & about 14" - 20" tall. I want to find out if they are male or female so I took some clippings that had at least 3 nodes on them & stuck each one in it's own plastic cup in about 1" of water pH 6.5. Then I put them about 6" away from my T-5 & CFL's on a 12 / 12 cycle.
    Did I do it right ? If I did...about how long till they will show sex signs ?
    This is my 1st go at this so any tips on it are very welcome. Thanx !!!

2. Weezard

Weezard Registered+

I usually put the cuts in dim light with a short night until they root. Then I flip to 12:12.
    That way. I can grow out the females and cull any males I don't need pollen from.
    Gives me a head start on the next crop and a taste of what the donor is going to finish like.
    But, your method may be faster if all you want is a sex check.
    I do suggest affixing the labels to the plants not the containers. Otherwise, things can get swapped and mislabeled too easily.

Carry on.
    Weeze

3. Buds Buddy

Buds Buddy Registered+

So you revert the females back to veg after having them in flower to check sex ? Doesn't it take a lot longer to get them to go back to the veg cycle ? I've read it can be done; but it took longer . I guess the way I'm doing it is almost the same as cloning except for the light cycle & a few minor details. But I'm not trying to clone any of these trimmings. Just want to identify sex & weed out the males to make more room. Yes....it's getting quite full in there & only 1/2 way through veg so need to make some room. If things work out the way they look I'm going to be one happy camper. Out of 24 plants only 8 are tall with more spread apart inter-nodes & 16 are smaller & bushier.
    I didn't label the plants. I numbered the cups 1 - 24 & the pots I did the same so I can match the numbers.
    Would you happen to know if any one has posted pics of sexing cuttings like I'm doing ? Sure would like to see some.

4. Weezard

Weezard Registered+

Um, no. Once they show sex, I let them finish.
    They finish small, yes, but I only need a few grams to test for taste and effect, yah?
    And if I keep a male, I only need a small puff of pollen to make hundreds of seeds.
    Did this with a Mazar cross a few years back. When the cut flowered, it smelled like excrement.
    Really nasty!
    Saved me from wasting anymore time/Watts on the mom.
    Her space was freed up for a strain that I liked the scent of.

I might have a picture or two. Lemme go look,
    Gack! What a mess. I need to get my photos organized. Here's a few flower shots;
    nuts.jpg female preflower.jpg shemale.JPG

5. Buds Buddy

Buds Buddy Registered+

Hmmm, So I can get a few grams off these cuttings if I put them in soil after they root ? That sounds awesome !!! Never would of thought you could get that much.
    One other question. Do I really need to use 2700 K CFL's to do this or can I get away with the 6500 k on a 12 / 12 cycle ? I have plenty of 2700 K CFL's . Just not enough fixtures for the bulbs since they are all in the 28 watt range. Right now I have the 2 foot - 4 Bulb T-5 & 4 - Corner CFL lights that are 6500 K 85 watt each on them.
    Will this work ?

6. Buds Buddy

Buds Buddy Registered+

Thanks for the pics...Just what I wanted to see to know what to expect.

7. Weezard

Weezard Registered+

Photoperiodism Is time dependent.
    So, it's more about duration than temperature.
    Any thing from 2700K to 6000K will do.

With some heavily Sativa hybrids, 12:12 can take a long time to start flower. If you have skinny leaves ,it's best to go 13:11 or even 14:10 to get it started.

The lower temp light, just might get you another ten percent in bud weight. But with small quantities it does not give much return on the cost of switching lights.
    Blue light alone will flip the flower switch, but it's red light that does all the "heavy lifting".

Aloha,
    Weeze

8. Buds Buddy

Buds Buddy Registered+

Good to know. A few of the cuttings look like somethings starting to grow at the nodes but so small I can't tell anything yet. Probably another week to 10 days. I noticed most the water in the cups disappeared so I added fresh water tonight.

9. Weezard

Weezard Registered+

Best to change the water daily.
    You don't want it to go stagnant.
    I use tap water from an aerated faucet.
    Aerated because it stays "fresh" longer, and tap water because the Chloramine keeps anaerobic bacteria at bay. When I first started I tried to use distilled water. It sucked the life out of the cutting through osmotic pressure. Same was true of rain water.
    2 lings 6 clones.JPG

My tap water runs ~120 ppm of dissolved solids. That gives new roots something to seek.
    The other "secret" to cloning is low light.
    With too much light, they try to transpire.
    Without roots to replace the lost water the transpiration effort desiccates the cuttings.
    Dim light, normal to slightly warm temps, and fresh water daily, will give you roots in a week or two.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2018
  10. Buds Buddy

Buds Buddy Registered+

Do you pH your tap water ? I've been using tap...pH to 6.5. I have about 10 - 23 watt 2700 K CFL Bulbs I could change out to if that would do ??? Right now it's bright in there. But the cuttings are starting to show something at the nodes ... can't tell what though.

11. Buds Buddy

Buds Buddy Registered+

OK... I found 4 - 45 watt 2700 K Soft White Bulbs I never used & changed out the 85 watt 6500 K corner lights with them. I also turned off 2 of the 4 lights in the T-5. It almost looks like an HPS light in there now. Think this will be better ?
    Also changed all the water in the cups. Are the stems suppose to start getting hard & stiff ? Seems that the part of the stem not in the water is getting stiff.
    Again, Thanks for the advice....I'm really learning a lot from you.

12. Weezard

Weezard Registered+

Couple more tips.
    When taking cuts, use a very sharp, clean, blade and cut at an angle. Have a glass of water ready and place the cuts in it immediately after the cut. Never let them get "floppy".
    And give them a little "swish when you drop them in to clear any air bubbles from the cut surface.
    If the stems stay turgid, you are fine. If they shrink, get hard, and turn red or brown, you may have too much light. A few leaves turning yellow is not a worry, but funky smelling water, is. White "bumps" are a minor worry, and clear "booger slime" is end game.
    Other than that, it's a cake walk.

13. Weezard

Weezard Registered+

It's probably best to PH the water, but I'm a lazy pup. I take it straight from the tap.
    Which is about 8.2!
    Getting away with that, so far. Seems it's not critical until the roots pop.
    Well, I've got a new project. I'll do a side by side rooting with and without PH adjustment.
    We'll see if it makes a big difference.

• Like Like x 1
  14. EvilCartman

EvilCartman Registered+

That will be interesting. I've always heard it was better to go a little to the acidic side, like 6ish. ;)
    Like you, I just use the tap. Runs in the high 7 range. No issues. :awesome:

15. Buds Buddy

Buds Buddy Registered+

Well, well, well.... I honestly thought the angle cut only mattered if you were trying to grow roots & clone. Since I was just determining sex I didn't worry about the angle. They do look like they're doing something at the nodes. Hope it works. If not it's going to get really crowded till I figure out what's what. If I knew what they were right now I would start flowering as my smallest plant is about 14" & my largest 30".

16. Weezard

Weezard Registered+

The angle cut exposes more surface for water uptake. That allows for more light without dehydration, and more light enhances the transpiration process.
    Can save a day or two.

To promote root growth, you scrape one, or both, sides of the stem down to the phloem.
    Clones don't throw a tap root. The roots pop out sideways and make clones grow shorter, and wider than plants grown from seed.
    So the clones don't take advantage of deep pots. Wider is better.

With seed plants, deeper is better during veg., but is not as useful in flower.

If the tent is crowded now, think about that "seventh inning stretch".
    I think you're going to need a bigger boat. :)

17. Buds Buddy

Buds Buddy Registered+

I'm think I'm starting to get the dehydration you're talking about as a couple of the cuttings are getting some leaves starting to shrivel up some.
    Not sure if I need a bigger boat. If the tall plants are all males 1/2 the tent will clear out & hopefully give me enough room.
    You say you can usually tell the sex of a plant from pre-flowers. Do only the female plants get pre-flowers ? Trying to figure out how to tell by pre-flowers. At this time.... unless I see the balls or hairs I can't tell anything. I noticed some of my plants seem to have stuff growing at the nodes but others only have what looks like a large knot at the nodes. Does this mean anything at all to you ? I'm going to try to research this pre-flower stuff to see what I can find out but any info you can provide sure helps.
    Thanks .... I don't think I'd be doing very well without your help. I will get this down yet !!!

18. Buds Buddy

Buds Buddy Registered+

Hey … I just changed the water for the cuttings & I see roots starting to come out the sides on at least 1/2 of them. Just barely sticking out, but clearly roots. How long should the roots get before sticking them in soil ? Also, how deep do you plant cuttings … 1/4" - 1/2" - etc... ? I was thinking just use a pencil to make a hole & stick them in it. Sound Good ? Sorry about all the questions, but I'm learning & want success. Maybe in a year or so I'll be able to help others out by passing on YOUR KNOWLEDGE … lol.

19. Weezard

Weezard Registered+

I fill a beer cup with FFOF, poke a hole with a marker pen and gently spin a cutting in when the roots are 1" to 1.5". Those first roots are long and smooth. I call them water roots because that's what they are looking for. When they are established they will then form "feeder" roots. Look like fish bones.
    The soil can be almost wet for water roots, but if the feeders show, the soil should be moist and fluffy. Those feeders need to breathe.

Node knots.
    If they look "frilly", they are nascent branches. If they are sharp spears, they are stipules. If tiny, smooth "pods" with pointy heads, whip out a lens and a strong light. Look at their base.
    If it is flush, it's probably going to sprout a couple wispy pistils.
    It's a girl.
    If you can see a tiny stem to the pod, it will swell up, that stem will get longer and will eventually drop stamens, and pollen.
    Keep watching the nodes for pre-flowers, both male and female.
    Normally, I don't have to bother, most of my harem are clones and much of my seed stock is feminized.
    I'm ramping up to do a Gainesville Green seed run now and will probably do a grow log with C. U. photos.
    Not sure I want to do it on this site though. Maybe the Canna Cabana, or ICMag.

Grow on, you're doing well.
    Weeze

20. Buds Buddy

Buds Buddy Registered+

Oh Boy ... I already put 8 of the cuttings in soil last night & roots were very small still. I figured if it can grow from a seed then any little bit of root was probably OK. (Maybe Not ?)
    I am a little worried about the Cannabis Sites with Forums. Not sure who's trolling there. I've been getting a lot of info just reading stuff on the Grow Weed Easy site. It's actually got a lot of info.
    I'll keep checking the cuttings daily for the things you mentioned. They should be showing pretty good in the next week.
    Even if they aren't showing I'm switching to flower because some plants are almost 3' tall & the smallest about 14" - 16".
    I have 2 that look so good I would sure like to keep as mothers if I knew they were females. Short, Bushy & nice & green.
    I'm pretty sure they will be by the way they are growing .... but can't be sure. I'll probably stick those 2 in a separate tent vegging till I know for sure what their sex is. I'd love to have a crop that all looked like those 2 plants.